JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the vast majority of parents do not want armed guards at schools.

do you have a link to the study or survey that states that? I've heard that quoted over and over... but never with any iota of data behind it.

i am a parent with school age children. i DO want armed guards at schools. did anyone ask me? no.
most of my friends are parents, with school age children. most of them DO want armed guards at schools.

granted, most of my friends are with a similar mindset of me... but i do have some very left leaning liberal friends as well... they seem to be about 50/50. some are very against it, for sure. some are on the fence.

I personally don't think anyone focuses on the right end things. We always look at outcomes and symptoms of problems, but we never think to simply get ahead of the issues in the first place.

When the armed guard stops a problem it's already too late. Just like getting rid of the guns, once they're to the point of grabbing a gun to shoot someone, the battle is already lost.

I don't have a prob with armed guards, but remind me, who's going to pay for it? And wouldn't that money be better spent in prevention?

My guess would be that there are many parents opposed to having armed guards in schools. Yeah, many of these parents also are so wrapped up in their materialistic lives, living the American Dream, that they are completely out of touch with reality and don't understand that being a parent DOES NOT mean giving their kids everything they want and using video games, violent video games, as a cheap baby sitter. It's no wonder that the youth today (generally speaking, certainly not all youth) have no empathy for their fellow humans and see people as nothing more than targets.

the vast majority of parents do not want armed guards at schools.

So how would these parents propose we solve this issue ?

The gun control measures which are very strict in CT didn't work.

The Columbine shooting happened in the middle of the last Federal Assault Weapon Ban that they are going to attempt to re-instate, again didn't work.

In all states the act of murdering someone is a crime, some a capitol crime, people still get murdered.

It seems to me that the NRA is coming up with a logical solution to a problem, and they are writing a blank check to implement it.

After 9/11 we put U.S. Marshall's on commercial flights and all the liberals thought that was a good idea. Now we have multiple school shootings and armed officials in schools is somehow a bad idea?

There is a poll on Yahoo! about this along the right side of the page, lets vote!

I haven't seen the survey that supports your claim, but if it was done before Sandy Hook, I'll bet the results would be different now.

that claim has been made over and over... people quote it all the time, but with no proof. my guess is it's just a gross assumption that has internet lore.

From a press conference position, they were clear and to the point. They found their talking point, put it out there and hammered it home. This allowed them not to get bogged down in other items or make any very many statements which are unclear. It also kept them in a very 'safe' stance for their support base.

From that stance they get a 8 out of 10 for a good solid delivery of their message.

From a content point, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't talk about anything else besides armed guards in schools and their training programs. Yes, it was great they are offering free training to schools but this issue is much more complex than any single solution. And it isn't just schools, but churches, malls, and other public theaters. From this stance I give them a 3 out of 10 for effort.

We need to have a larger discussion about the cause for these problems not just the symptoms of the problems. We are building a boiler pot right now. We have a failing economy, a media that won't actually have any sort of real conversation, a total breakdown of communication between our political parties, failing medical and mental health system, have been in 2 'wars' for the past 10+ years, and lots and lots of frustrated people. We need to address the larger problems. Children shouldn't have to die for us to understand that our country needs help. I find it very myopic for the NRA to pick one item and hammer on it. It is just as myopic as the other sides 'ban gun argument.'

I was hoping for more, but didn't expect it.

Geez Morpheus, we all know there are many aspects of "what's wrong with America" right now, but how many do you or I expect the NRA to be knowledgeable about?
They know guns. They know training. They know about educating kids about guns.

I for one am glad they stuck to things they know and understand.

I don't want them addressing mental health issues any more than I want the Secretary of Health and Human Services addressing gun laws.

For an organization which has some 4 million members and has been around as long as they have, I can expect a hell of a lot more than what they delivered.

They could have looked deeper than their own knee jerk reaction. They could have hired people who specialize in these areas to help them draft a more holistic approach. I expect more from them as "leaders" of the pro-firearm organizations.

I do appreciate the amazing amount of pressure they are under and that they took there time to draft a reply. I just hoped for more.

I understand the need for a holistic approach, but that should be the role of the government and not the NRA. What the NRA is proposing should be part of the holistic approach, along with improvements in the metal health system and improved physical security for our schools. And probably more important than all of the above, we need to find a way to stop the moral and ethical decay that is occurring in our youth. I don't really have a clue how we can achieve this - it is going to take folks a lot smarter than me to figure that one out, but I do believe that it has to start with parents becoming engaged in their kids' lives.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top