Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

NRA Basic Pistol Course, CCW?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by matttahoe53, May 8, 2016.

1. matttahoe53

matttahoe53 Beaverton, OR Member

So, I would like to get my Oregon CCW. I have been doing some reading and I was wondering in the NRA basic pistol course would be enough to get my permit. The reason I ask is because it is required in the state of Ohio and I already have my certificate.

I live in Washington county if that makes a difference.

Thank you for any help in advance.

2. whiskeybill

whiskeybill Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

Yes, the NRA Basic Pistol Course will meet Oregon requirements for training to obtain a concealed carry permit. I lived in Salem until three years ago and taught the course at Four Corners. I would recommend taking the Personal Protection Outside The Home course as that will cover the legal aspects of concealed carry in Oregon.

Riot likes this.
  3. matttahoe53

matttahoe53 Beaverton, OR Member

That's good news. Thank you for the suggestion on the Oregon carry laws class. I would be interested to see what differences there are here.

On a side note is there any place local that does firearms training? I haven't been shooting as frequently as I used to and some new instruction and a chance to get a lot of shooting in would be great.

4. The Nothing

The Nothing PDX Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I took my course with 540 Tactical. Worth taking the class + UT. There are often a Defensive Handgun course right after a lot of the CCW classes that is worth taking as well.

5. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

I would recommend Firearms Academy of Seattle. I was quite happy with the quality of the instruction.

6. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

7. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

I took an NRA First Shots pistol course and it counted for my CHL. The instructor did provide a separate certificate that indicated he taught all the components required for the CHL. That was helpful.

And then the same NRA certificate counted for when I applied for my Arizona permit. AZ, give me almost all the states Utah does, but also NV and NM! AZ doesn't give you WA, though. WA makes it super easy to get a non-resident CPL, though. Just walk-in and walk-out through Clark County.

8. John

John Washington New Member