JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
News Conference.

It's being reported that millions of people escaped quarantine in China early on, that the disease is now named COVID-19, that it can incubate for up to 24 days, and that is transmitted AIRBORNE even if the infected person is not in the area.

24+ nations impacted, 1000 reported dead. I suspect those numbers are under-reported.

Oh, and a infected person in San Diego was accidentally released from the hospital for a day...

Cruise ship Diamond Princess escalated to 33% infection rate two days ago, when last reported on open source.

Give a dozen US military bases are open for quarantine, and this is going from bad to worse, my concern level is going up daily.

Open in a private browser to get past the paywall.

Of note:

As deaths from the coronavirus topped 1,000 — nearly all of them in China — Beijing on Tuesday urged countries that have enacted travel restrictions aimed at curbing the outbreak to restore normal ties for the sake of the global economy. The appeal from China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs underscored the economic dangers posed by the unprecedented shutdown of much of the world's second-largest economy, as well as the ruling Communist Party's concerns about the outbreak's capacity to fuel domestic instability.
China is bracing for the return of some 160 million migrant workers to their cities of employment as the country's economy sputters back to life after an extended holiday following the outbreak.

Note that the travel period (Chunyun - Wikipedia) is one of the biggest human migrations in the world, having nearly 3 billion journeys in 2016. The lunar new year was January 25 this year, so 40 days later is the first week of March.

There are about to be a vast amount of people moving from China back to their homes all over the world. According to WaPo, the spread of the virus has been slowing...I'd guess that we're about to see a major shift in that if China opens the doors to travel again.

Seems a bit premature to me. Our economies will survive a temporary slowdown while we wait this out for another month or two.

Bag of dozens of dead rotting birds found in DC airport from China traveler's bag. I'm not making this up. Why would any human travel with a bag of dozens of rotting bird carcasses?

Probably cause they think it will give them a 4 hr hardon like the rest of the weird stuff they eat.

Bag of dozens of dead rotting birds found in DC airport from China traveler's bag. I'm not making this up. Why would any human travel with a bag of dozens of rotting bird carcasses?
Apparently, they are sold as pet food in China. They are dead but not rotting. They are dried like the pigs' ears and other such things you find in pet stores here.

IAD-Birds6L-012720.jpg

Apparently, they are sold as pet food in China. They are dead but not rotting. They are dried like the pigs' ears and other such things you find in pet stores here.

View attachment 659193
Apparently, they are sold as pet food in China. They are dead but not rotting. They are dried like the pigs' ears and other such things you should never feed your dog. Fixed it for ya:)

They have a person in Bozeman, MT that they THINK may have this virus.

It was in our news the other day.

A person with a history of travel from China is sick and has been placed in isolation in Bozeman out of concerns of novel coronavirus, Gallatin County health officials said Monday in a press release.

And this:

In Montana, local and state public health officials have worked with 10 to 15 individuals who have travel history in China during the current outbreak but do not have any current symptoms of concern. Five of those individuals have been in Gallatin County, and are cooperating with Gallatin City-County Health Department and DPHHS to monitor their well-being and minimize potential exposures, according to health officials.

More on the LINK.

The news coming out of other stations and papers ALL across MT say that they are checking 20 some people for the virus. Travel history to China during this outbreak. That was the other day so it may be higher now.

I do not do Fakebook but the health department had a LINK that led to it.

Cate

In general, I wonder what the criteria is to exit the state of emergency - Known good, working, & effective vaccination?

I think it depends if they believe this type of illness will become seasonal. For SARS, there was vaccine development but no need as the rate of infection became contained and the pandemic fizzled out. If this type of coronavirus keeps coming around every year... then a vaccine becomes more important for public health.

IMHO I think reliable diagnostic and treatment protocols will probably be enough for this round.

Stephen King's THE STAND: "This is code red! We've lost one of the bugs! Repeat - we've lost one of the bugs! You have to close the gate!" Funny, eh? In the '70's I guess they thought a virus couldn't squeeze through cyclone fence fabric...

I am not trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation nor am I suggesting that people ignore it. If you review this thread in its entirety, you will see that to the contrary I am quite concerned about the potential consequences of this pandemic. However, after reviewing much of the available information on a daily basis, I am convinced that there is little credible evidence that this virus is an engineered bioweapon. I have a Ph.D. in biology, so I am not automatically impressed by the unsupported opinions of every highly qualified crackpot.
I am a minimally-qualified crackpot, so you should be quite impressed by my opinion!

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads