JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't forget about the original "wheelguns" Colt Peacemaker or Six Shooter in the original 44-40 or 45Colt. Iconic handguns.
And if you want real fun ... try your hand at fast draw competition.

Screenshot 2019-10-23 at 6.37.22 PM.png

i had this same delimma except technically i do have a revolver...a little 22. anyway, i wanted a 357 mag so when a member here had a new ruger sp101 match champion for sale i HAD to have it.

problem solved :)

heres its first shots with my handloads. :)might have to change the quality to 480p in settings if the video is blurry

Since you reload (*), I'd take a look at a Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal. You can load hot or light, the gun isn't a monster size so it can be shared with people who have smaller hands, and with that smidge shaved off the caliber, you get 6 shots instead of 5 as you would with the 38/357 version.

(*) See 7 & 8 -- you can load up four, maybe five, different cartridges: 10 things to know about the 10-year-old .327 Federal Magnum cartridge

GP100 .357 with a 5" barrel. Full underlug, great balance.

Very mild recoil with 38 specials, but can take deer when loaded with .357 thumpers.

Looking at pictures, I came across this Rhino. My old Dad would've loved this, since he had tattoos that spelled out "love" on one fist, and "hate" on the other. Plus, he loved gold, gaudy stuff.

I might have to get one for myself!

6FACE535-0BF4-4944-8BE3-0771495797D0.jpeg

Last Edited:
My first handgun was a Dan Wesson 357 with a 15" barrel. The barrel stuck through the holster and bumped on my knee as I walked. I got to hate the long barrel after a while but now I really wish I had kept it.

If you're looking for a centerfire revolver to shoot for fun, a full sized .357 magnum of whatever make and model suits you will be hard to beat. .38 Special ammo is cheap and easy to load, and you have the flexibility of magnum loads.

15in barrels are great for hunting, but I really miss my 6in M15.

I'm a big fan of S&W revolvers, older ones especially: K frames, L frames, and of course multiple N frames.

I loved my old Dan Wesson. The only Colt I have is a Detective Special, great gun. I never could warm up to Ruger double action revolvers though. They make an excellent, solid gun, but being a S&W guy, they just never felt right to me. Just a matter of personal taste.

For single action, I recently picked up a Cimarron .45 Colt 1873 clone, $399 brand new at Sportsman's Warehouse. I've been shooting the heck out of it, and it's an awful lot of fun.

I also picked up a Ruger Wrangler. It may not be a Single Six, but for a cheap gun it's great!

We all have our favorites, but as I see it, it's kind of a toss-up between a good .22 and a good .357 The .22 will do most anything we need, but the .357 has power and versatility. Shooting mid-range .38 Spl loads for target and fun, and full house .357 for SRS business. Good quality arm in either case, as mileage varies greatly among impressions, ease of use and loading/cleaning, trigger, sights etc. Think about shooting some friends' guns or go to a range which rents and try a couple.

If you can only have one, you'd be hard pressed to find a better all around revolver than a 4" 357. My personal preference is for a Ruger GP-100 4" with fixed night sights. One of my primary home defense guns is one with a double action only hammer. The older ones don't have any MIM (metal injection molding) parts, side plates (seems like a failure point to me), or a "Hillary" hole.

If I was getting two revolvers, a Ruger Single Six would be a fun little 22. Alternatively, a Ruger SP-101 2.25" double action only 357 for concealed carry. Of course, I tend towards fixed sight, stainless Ruger revolvers so I could probably be talked into a Vaquero or Super Redhawk too.

There are a lot of good options. Borrow or rent a few and see what you like.

OUTSTANDING! I knew you guys would come through with some great suggestions. Dam I have a bunch of homework to do. Huge thank you for everyone that has posted.

Caliber wise I have heard a lot of people talk about the fun of shooting .22 revolvers. I have no doubt they are, but my M&P compact's w/ a suppressor, makes me giggle already for a .22 pistol. I sure see the value of a .357 for running .38 loads. Thanks to years of playing range chicken my "mixed brass" bin, basically everything I pick up that I don't load, does have quite a few of both .357 and .38 Sp. in it. I also like the idea of it being a true wheel gun cartridge. (vrs. like .45ACP wheel gun)

I will track down some .357 options in 4" and 6" to look at. Good stuff again thank you.

Looking at pictures, I came across this Rhino. My old Dad would've loved this, since he had tattoos that spelled out "love" on one fist, and "hate" on the other. Plus, he loved gold, gaudy stuff.

I might have to get one for myself!

View attachment 627375

The Rhino is not my style, but the owner of that particular gun sure would tickle my fancy. Multiple times. Daily. :s0073:

Anyway back on topic, OP could probably get a few volunteers to meet up and let him try out some of these suggestions at TCGC if he brings the coffee. My vote is for a snake gun or L frame of the 4" persuasion.

SP-101 .22 with 4.2" barrel. It hasn't missed a range trip since I bought it. Load it up with cb ammunition and it is relatively quiet, and it cycles - of course. Versatile, economical and just fun.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top