JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I'm running 1680x1050. I know so little about this stuff that I have no idea why you would even ask. I hope my info helped you understand the issue.

Every time the page loads the server detects the resolution of the device the person is using, then displays the site in the appropriate size. To find oddities like this one, we have to match the resolution as we try to hunt down the culprit :)

Are you on a Mac desktop or laptop? If laptop, which screen size? At that resolution, I assume it'd be a retina display?

@Joe Link, I was wondering if we can get the user avatars next to the threads on the mobile apps? I'm sure this has to do with saving space, but I really like that feature, it helps more easily see who is posting a thread. It's there in 2.0, but gone in 3.0. Here is a shot from my tablet, showing the threads without the avatars:

View attachment 244397

It looks like there would be enough room on the screen. Or maybe this is about server resources?

I think you could easily lose some space in the 'replies/views' column. No need for that amount of space with the likely 'round count' for threads here.

I believe the developer who did the responsive design said there wasn't enough room for them on mobile phones or tablets in portrait mode. I'll play around with it and see if there's some way we can make it happen :)

Are you on a Mac desktop or laptop? If laptop, which screen size? At that resolution, I assume it'd be a retina display?
I'm on an iMac with the integral 20" monitor. I chose this resolution for no particular reason than that I liked the size and ration of the icons and text. It only seems to happen when I'm looking at the forum list or a sub-forum list, not actually inside threads.

I would highly recommend you switch the resolution to the highest available.

It will take an hour or two to get used to it, but right now, you'll be suffering from an inferior display quality, flat panels are not designed to run at anything less than their default and max setting; you cannot change the number of 'pixels' on the screen.

I'm on an iMac with the integral 20" monitor. I chose this resolution for no particular reason than that I liked the size and ration of the icons and text. It only seems to happen when I'm looking at the forum list or a sub-forum list, not actually inside threads.

Thanks for the info, that helps.

I would highly recommend you switch the resolution to the highest available.

It will take an hour or two to get used to it, but right now, you'll be suffering from an inferior display quality, flat panels are not designed to run at anything less than their default and max setting; you cannot change the number of 'pixels' on the screen.

Excellent advice! Unfortunately, it looks like that is the max resolution for that particular model.

Bleh, nasty looking res, but meh. The phrasing looked like it was a specified res, rather than default :)

Alright, new bug.

Selecting to 'watch a thread' you are viewing, does not update the thread display if it received new posts since you opened the page.

Open post, read it/leave it open long enough to have new posts added to it by other users: New posts do not show until the page is reloaded = normal behaviour.

Select 'watch thread' (sub to thread etc.) and tell it to email you: this should reload the page/update it in order to show any updates - it currently does not.

Open post, read it/leave it open long enough to have new posts added to it by other users: New posts do not show until the page is reloaded = normal behaviour.

Select 'watch thread' (sub to thread etc.) and tell it to email you: this should reload the page/update it in order to show any updates - it currently does not.

So you click the watch thread link, the overlay pops up, you select email, click the button, it's supposed to refresh the page right then?

Hmm, I just tried it with a test account on 2.0 and it didn't seem to work.

Ah I see. I'll try to reproduce it elsewhere. Do you know if you've seen it on a forum running XenForo?

I've seem to be seeing a glitch that is difficult to describe. The window shifts format now and then because an extra slidey bar suddenly shows up and disappears. I'm talking about the bar on the far right-hand side of everyone's browser window that allows a user to slide up and down the page. Well, an extra one pops up right inside of the primary one, and then pops away again. When it pops up, it makes the window a 1/4" narrower (or whatever is the width of the slidey bar) and all the text reorients for the smaller window...not much, just enough to be noticeable. I am running Chrome on a Mac. This only happens in 3.0.

It's not a slide bar, it's a small rectangular box with up/down arrows. When you click up or down the page goes all the way to the top or bottom, then the box disappears. It shows up when you move the cursor back and forth over a thread topic, the page jerks back and forth as the up/down arrows appear/disappear.

Edit: Okay, the up/down arrow box is there all the time, and has nothing to do with the page jerking back and forth. I see the slide bar that Chris is speaking of but it's not slide-able as it goes from top to bottom.

I sure hope you're going to get the preview box that comes up when you hover over a thread topic
back.

I'm on a desk top BTW.

Signed

Confused

Last Edited:
Edit: Okay
Yep. So you see this quirk, too?

@Joe Link
I've got an idea, but we've stipulated that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I go to TruthAboutGuns all the time for gun news and buzz. Their header seems to make a lot of sense for this site, too. They have a white bar with their logo (which is also a link to the Home page) and below that a simple black bar about the same size as ours. The black bar has other links. The cool part is that it "breaks off" (my word) and follows the user as you scroll down, keeping those links available. If you scroll back up to the top the black bar "re-couples" with the white title bar.

It seems to me this could kill two birds with one stone. 1) Many members have commented on wanting at least a couple of buttons with easier access like New Content and Alerts. Perhaps these quick access buttons could reside at the top in a white title bar which disappears as a user scrolls down, leaving the black bar to follow the user, keeping those tools embedded in the menus as they are now. 2) Our current black bar seems to hover "in front" of the forum lists so that the top half-inch hides behind the black bar. If, say, I have a link like this (https://www.northwestfirearms.com/#classified-ads.4), right now the black title "Classified Ads" hides behind the black bar, as does the top half-inch of any internal link. Perhaps somehow the black bar could be part of pages (keeping text below the bar and unhidden by a bar that is "in front"), but it de-couples after scrolling down a bit and moves with the user.

Again, take this all with a huge grain of salt and I'm not sure it is even worth the trouble. For me, I don't care much if I have to click 2 or 3 buttons instead of only 1. I also don't care much if I have to scroll down a half-inch. I just put it out there as a way that one site dealt with the black bar with links.

Hey, I just noticed something, though not a big deal. In 3.0, we no longer have our saying under our name. Location used to be in the table below our banners, but now is below our screen name and the saying is not even there.

Any word on when Trade Rating will become 3 numbers instead of just the percentage? 100% doesn't tell me anything and it is too much work to click on 2 or 3 more buttons.

@Joe Link - I just spotted something else I was curious about. When I first get to the site, I get a window on the side that says "Recent Activity". But once I navigate to any other page, that window goes away and doesn't come back. The only way to get it back is to close my browser and return to the site.

Is this how it's supposed to work? I like this feature, but would like if it were available all the time.

What I see when I first arrive:

Recent 1a.JPG

When I navigate to any other page, it's gone:

Recent 2.JPG

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR