JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My 2 cents as someone that has only been reloading for give or take a little close to five years.

Much like the others read, read more, probably read some more, start with one and follow it through (maybe 200 rifle single stage or 500 pistol progressive) before moving to another and start 15% below maximum load or any load for that matter that you come across. E.g. If I told you 41.8g H4350 with 140 pill works great in my rifle and you want to try my recipe then reduce by 15% and work up to it. Any singularly posted load should always be considered your maximum for any new recipe.

Take your time as a beginner and try your best to not get too excited too quick. There are so many options and ways to go and do things you may find yourself like me, sometimes wishing you could go back and do it all over again. Of course that is just learning right? I didn't listen to my gut myself and now just have a lot of wasted parts and pieces that I am hoping will go to use at the club by others.

I do reload about 10 calibers at this point myself. Like others have said keep your bench clean and only with the pieces needed for the caliber you are working with. I keep everything in a storage separate from my loading bench, this just makes it easier for me.

Lastly, spend the money the first time. Much like you already got your Dillion don't short yourself on something like a decent pair of calipers. At least for my harbor freights had only lasted me one year each before I gave up and spent the money.

Have fun and be safe!

Reloading, like any male pursuit, is never quite finished. A couple of years ago. my sister in law remarked that her husbands car restoration project was finally "finished". I just smiled, and said "Oh no it isn't. It's never quite complete." It's back in the shop getting a custom engine installed right now. Once you get started, you will find that there will be more and more reloading manuals, more and more "gotta haves". You will find the Sinclair catalog that caters to precision reloaders, and you will come to the realization that although you have a Speer reloading manual, you will also need a Hornady manual to find out just how you need to seat a particular Hornady bullet in a particular cartridge. Then you will need another manual because they have a very good treatise on primers. I have manuals from Swift, Speer, Sierra, Hornady, and a few oldies like Townsend Whelens work from the 1940's "Why Not Load You Own". Oh, and Hatchers Notes is a must have reference, along with some stuff published by Ackley. You're just getting started. Enjoy the trip!

To whomever is still curious.

While this short little period of time I have been absent, I have buyer been buying everything to get "started" ( scale, caliper, bullets, cases, ect. ) Also BOOKS! I have been reading, and reading, and watching videos, and more reading.
And finally I BELIEVE I have everything set up, and scaled out to start reloading. But I HAVE NOT even tried to. Because now I'm looking for what I can't buy, or read. That's EXPERIENCE!
Really looking for someone to come over, check over my set up, and weights and seets, blah blah blah. Just everything head to toe. Then also maybe supervise a hundred rounds or so?

Be more than happy to provide gas money. And snacks and water.

Thanks again community!
Koda

Also shout out to croh. Thanks much for your words. I think some people are to caught up in their ways and have forgotten how they got there.

Of course Korey. I was going to shoot you a text in the next week or two. And see what your calendar was looking like.

But croh, I'm a little South of Oregon City. In Molalla.

Happy to help but am WAY down in Texas... I suggest make a list. Start simple. Load one caliber on a single stage press... like a Lee. Use a bound notebook or a legal pad and write down the steps, laminate if you like, you will be saving this for every time you load;
1.deprime and clean the brass
2.reprime the brass
3.weigh the powder charge and dump in the primed case
4.put the projectile in the case and "press" it
5.measure the finished bullet for proper length
6.shoot bullet over chronograph to check performance.
Some of these steps can be mass accomplished like depriming and repriming, putting "throwing" the charge into the cases, placing the projectile "slug" into the neck of the shell, pressing the new bullets/measuring at the same time. And, of course, the going to the range with the Chronograph and shooting. Others, like weighing the charge, are safety steps you may or may not decide to perform every time. For example, I weigh about every 5th or 6th powder dump from my measure. I use /Bullseye and the gauge on the Lee measure is not accurate enough to trust every charge thrown. Double charged ammunition can be hard on guns and the hands that hold them. We often laugh at friends for being creatures of habit. This is a hobby/sport where good habits will protect you and the guy next to you on the range.

I have not read all of the replies. I did read beginners guide to reloading, lots of youtube, and met with a forum memeber at his house and then we came to mine. Made me feel a lot more comfortable.
Here is review I did of my hornady press.
"Granted it is my first reloading set, but really this kit needs to include few more things to get you where you need to be loading properly. After much research and talking to guys on forums. I had to get lots more reloading supplies to feel comfortable reloading. This kit should...needs to also include: case trimmer, primer pocket brush, bullet comparator, head space gauge, unique case lube instead and better powder scale. You will still have to get a caliper, better powder measuring stand (i got RCBS and painted it red), case tumbler, shell holder to go in the press, bullet puller and I'm sure I'm forgetting something."

Last Edited:
I have not read all of the replies. I did read beginners guide to reloading, lots of youtube, and met with a forum memeber at his house and then we came to mine. Made me feel a lot more comfortable.
Here is review I did of my hornady press.
"Granted it is my first reloading set, but really this kit needs to include few more things to get you where you need to be loading properly. After much research and talking to guys on forums. I had to get lots more reloading supplies to feel comfortable reloading. This kit should...needs to also include: case trimmer, primer pocket brush, bullet comparator, head space gauge, unique case lube instead and better powder scale. You will still have to get a caliper, better powder measuring stand (i got RCBS and painted it red), case tumbler, shell holder to go in the press, bullet puller and I'm sure I'm forgetting something."

I'm going through the same thing. bought the Rcbs kit from bi mart. The sales chick says it's a great price ( it was) you should buy one. Next morning I did. a year later, I still havn't loaded a round. each time I see her, I say, yep I bought the set, you didn't tell I had to spend another $1500 on top of the original. $ 199. LOLOLOL

With two 8 lb jugs, four 1 pound jugs of powder, misc primers, misc bullets. I'm about 1500 into it.
I'm always worried if I die and my wife will sell all my hunting and fishing gear for even less of what I told her it cost

I teach reloading classes, and one thing I hear constantly is how expensive these kits are perceived to be. If RCBS or Hornady (or any of the others for that matter) were to include all these goodies in a beginners kit, it would be prohibitively expensive. There would be people looking at that and getting sticker shock. It's a starter kit for beginners, nothing more and nothing less. What do you really need, or what do you want? The basic motivation for most people getting into hand loading is economy, particularly if they do (or want to) get into alot of shooting. If you don't shoot alot, then it's fine to go to any sporting goods store and pay north of $20.00 for a box of '06 or 308 for the upcoming hunting season. The manufacturers would dearly love to sell all that stuff in one big package, but the market wouldn't support that.

I was aware of the cost. the main reason, is because of doing 30 luger. Off the shelf 30 luger ammo, will not cycle a 30 luger. it loaded to work a slide action and not a toggle action.
the shelf ammo is loaded at 3.8 w231 or it looks like 231. 231 will not cycle my pistol until it gets to 4.8 works ok at 4.9
great 5.0. I haven't seen a book yet that list much of anything dealing with a 7.65 (30) luger. I was told and found the last thing to do , is to ask anyone's advice that has or knows about loading for 9 mm luger. There not even close to being the same.
I'm reloading just not on my set, my house is tore apart, and the guy next door is teaching me. so far I haven't blown myself up. YET !

I haven't really payed much attention to the kits but you really don't need every gadget to start reloading. My first couple years when I was a kid all I had was a Lee whack a mole setup and it worked fine back in the 70's. Case trimmers and comparators come in a ways down the line for most people, and then it's how much you want to spend to do the job. I have a $90 dollar RCBS trimmer and a $350 Dillon, RCBS does the job but the Dillon is way faster and easier. I would think a person would have to expect basic entry level equipment in a affordably priced kit.

I got into loading because I wanted to save money....AND, it sounded like fun. I still feel like it saves me money as I don't put out $30.00 at BiMart for three boxes of 9mm on the way to the range. With the separate processes and time involved before you actually put powder in the case, seat a bullet and set it proudly in the box, by then it seem like it's almost free. Or real cheap to make a box of 9mm. And part of the excitement of getting into loading was finishing off the fine points of collecting all that's necessary to do the job. Used tumbler/media, used trimmer, Harbor Freight caliper, old school desk converted to loading bench, used dies, second reloading book etc. It's a "Zen" sorta thing for me too. But I figure if someone doesn't get a real "Bang" out of making their own ammo then that's all the better. The ammo companies need customers too!:D

Everyone talks about what you need...

You don't need a press, scale or hell even a bench to mound stuff to.

Reloading Kits - Lee Precision

As simple of a reloading kit as you possibly can have. Everything and anything beyond this is for comfort, speed and bragging rights.

Simplicity down to its most basic function right there. Size, deprime, seat and crimp. Just add a rubber mallet, powder, Bullets and primers.

I'm not saying anyone should go buy one but this is a response to the complains of accessories that are 'needed' with a press...

Speaking of saving money for a beginning reloader. Take a look at LEE products.;)

Basics:
Single Stage Press (mounted securely to your bench)
Shell holder in correct caliber
Die set...carbide....in correct caliber
Powder
Primers
Bullets (lead is a lot cheaper)
Empty brass (you got that already)
Scale
Powder measure/dispenser
Reloading manual

Truth be told.....I didn't start reloading with an entire RCBS kit either. I added slowly to my basics, year by year. I found bargains from other reloaders looking to upgrade and at gun shows. I didn't buy a lot of stuff until much later. And, I wasn't playing that all in one color game.

For example:
A caliper. I started with .38 special ammo. So, I got away with not buying one until I started rifle ammo.
A cartridge tray/loading block. I used old ammo packaging trays picked up from the range trash can.
A case trimmer. Since I started with only pistol ammo. I didn't feel the need to have one.
Powder trickler. I wasn't weighing each charge. My regular powder measure was good enough.
Lube pad. Why? Just use a spray or wipe on style of lube. Then, I used carbide dies for all my pistol ammo so, it wasn't need at the beginning.
Tumbler and media. I used soap and hot water to wash cases. Then again, carbide dies won't get scratched. So, you could just forgetaboutit if you wanted to.

Cleaning primer pockets. Make a primer pocket cleaner out of an old shell case. Smash the mouth end and trim to size.

That brings up the subject of substitution.....
Yes, a new ink pad could be used instead of that RCBS branded lube pad.
A chemical brass cleaner bath can shine your brass just as well as a tumbler and media.

What else? OK.....the Dillon and what about that electronic powder scale. The Dillon I got but, it's not really much use to me now a days. On the other hand, the old single stage press still gets usage. As for the electronic powder scale? LOL. My old balance beam scale still works.:)

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Just started reloading myself. If you are reloading 308 for a bolt rifle you may want to think about a single stage press instead. I recently bought the RCBS supreme kit from SW and it has quite a bit of good stuff.
Bull hocky I have had a Dillon 550 since 1991 and have had to send it back about 4 years to get rebuild as is was well used by myself and others. The 550 Dillon as simple as any press to set up and learn to load on and as the skill level increases so does the speed of the loading process . I have taught many to load on the Dillon and after a bit they purchased their own Dillon 550. I recommend the 550 to any one with the will to want to learn how to reload. I have loaded 300 Weatherby mag, 30/06, 308, 338 lapua and 223 rem. 38sp, 357 mag, 9mm, 40 S@W and 45 acp. Easy peasy. Dillons no BS warranty is just that !

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top