JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Make sure you have an organized work bench. Everything nearby you when reloading should be for that specific load and nothing else. 1 type of primer, 1 type of powder, 1 type of bullet. Mixing powders can have some catastrophic results.

I use shotgun shell boxes to help organize cases depending on where they are in the process. Writing on the inside of the top flap is an easy way to distinguish what you are working on.

Don't even think about reloading without reading a book on it first. It is not like any other hobby... you will be working with things that go BOOM! Common mistakes are not measuring powder correctly, misreading scales, not letting digital scales warm up, etc.

Most folks here will not share recipes for loads due to liability. You will find loads in various places on the internet, do not trust/use them unless it is a site provided by a powder or bullet maker.

Keep your powder put away in a storage cabinet. Take what you need for your reloading session and then put the can of powder away. Same thing with primers. If something goes boom or flashes over, you do not want your powder/primer stash to go up with it, causing injuries, fire in the house/garage, etc.

For me, it is one of the most interesting and fun hobbies... been reloading for 45yrs; but it is serious business, not playing around!!

I own an RL550B. It is a great system and safe to use if you keep checking your primer and powder functions before advancing to the next stage.

BTW, IMO only Dillon powder dies will work properly for pistol loads in this press (unless you want to chamfer every case). You can get a powder adapter to use other dies or powder measures, but the belling step will be skipped. Dillon pistol dies are worth the extra money.

Help me get into reloading

There's a lot of pages in this thread but there's also a lot of info from some really knowledgeable members.they all helped me greatly get into reloading over the last couple of months.

This^^^^^

Nobody needs to re-hash out what we just discussed. Overflow of information there. Lots more too in this sub-category.

And..
Where are you? Maybe a local member would do some hands on instruction/teaching.

Then just let me know! I'll definitely want em. Thanks deaf!
Hey, I do have those.. and a 3-die .223 set but I'm reticent to even get to geographic particulars with you because I think it might be best for you to make a decision and place an order.
Lee dies are great.. and inexpensive.. and would/were you to choose a given make (as you will ultimately do of necessity) it will benefit you to have them all be the same and of like manufacture.
Just make a list and order what you need..

Hello everyone,

Can't thank you guys enough for sharing, and the knowledge! I did pick up the 550.
Also I'll remention, I have loaded before (only loaded about 200-300 rounds) so I do know a tiny little bit about how the 550 works. But before I even start to set up my press I'm going to hit the books and read, read, read! The last thing I need is to make an extremely hot round and hurt something, or someone!

Anyways keep the info coming. I can't get enough useful information.

This is the short list I need for now, if anyone can help out. GREAT!

-Primer flip tray
-Scale (doesn't have to be digital)
-Cailpers

What I'll need very soon

--9mm bullets
--powder (for 9mm)

What I'll need after I load 9mm

*Some sort of cleaning device
*Timmer
*.223, 300blk, .308 dies
*Cases for those cailbers ^^^
*Powder for thoes cailbers
*Bullets for thoes cailbers
*Large primers

Thanks a ton again Community. You guys are awesome

Koda

I'm not sure if your fingers mumbled there or not, but if "timmer" is supposed to be trimmer, I wouldn't bother on straight wall cases. You really only get case growth on cases with shoulders like rifle cases. I don't load 9mm myself so maybe someone who does can confirm, but I never trim my 45 acps, 38 special, or 357 cases... they wear out before length becomes an issue. If you're loading for rifles with sholders, forget everything I just said. :D

I'm not sure if your fingers mumbled there or not, but if "timmer" is supposed to be trimmer, I wouldn't bother on straight wall cases. You really only get case growth on cases with shoulders like rifle cases. I don't load 9mm myself so maybe someone who does can confirm, but I never trim my 45 acps, 38 special, or 357 cases... they wear out before length becomes an issue. If you're loading for rifles with sholders, forget everything I just said. :D

Oh I did not know that. Thanks.

Also was just thinking, on my little list I have going. What else I could really use first would be a strong mount and an bullet tray for it.
If someone has some extra of these id take them off your hands.

Thanks again
Koda

I started on a turret press, in my dimly lit garage after reading the process again and again in my old Lyman and my then new Hornady manuals. Take it slow, double check everything, expect that you WILL mess up a few pieces of brass along the way and you'll be fine.

These days when I'm loading up rifle rounds I pretty much treat my Dillon RL550 as a single stage. I decap and size at the same time, clean and prep the cases, then use a hand primer to seat the primers. After that I throw charges in a group of cases (measuring each charge meticulously), stand them in a loading block so I can double check powder levels, then seat bullets one at a time.
This is a little OCD, but I'm happy with the process.
When making handgun stuff, I just crank them out using the machine as Dillon designed it.

Besides the scale, a case trimmer is a good thing to have before too long. Crohnos01's statement about straight wall cases not needing trimming will apply to many pistol cases, but if you load magnums, and load them hot, you'll need it before too long. I loaded up 41 Mags for years and trimming cases to a consistent length was the only way to get a good crimp. You want a consistent crimps on magnum case used in a revolver.

I load thousands of tapered 9mm cases... and yup, sure enough they wear out long before they stretch enough to need trimming.

I load thousands of tapered 9mm cases... and yup, sure enough they wear out long before they stretch enough to need trimming.

As I have loaded up some of 45 ACP cases a bunch and I don't think I've ever trimmed one... All depends on what cartridge.

I do have an "extra" RCBS trimmer I'll be putting up for sale. Not sure if I have an extra scale or not.

but if you load magnums, and load them hot, you'll need it before too long. I loaded up 41 Mags for years and trimming cases to a consistent length was the only way to get a good crimp. You want a consistent crimps on magnum case used in a revolver.

As I have loaded up some of 45 ACP cases a bunch and I don't think I've ever trimmed one... All depends on what cartridge.

Hmmm, I think I understand... now what did you say again? Did I waste "like" on your 1st post above or didja just not get to it? :rolleyes: LOL

Totally disregard my last message. Amazon hook-line-and-sinkered me Just bought a caliper, and a scale! Ha!

where do you live? if you happen to be around the corvallis/albany area, or would like to come to corvallis/albany.. Im sure @Dyjital and myself would be more than glad to set you down the path of a forever smile and empty wallet :)

I have a dillon 550 that is setup for every cartridge you mentioned and then a couple, if you need some help, please hit me up I am more than glad to help.

There is a serious mismatch between your competency level and your dreams... You are practically a beginner and you want to reload at least 8 different sizes and complexities of bullets. Pick 1, ONE, like 9mm you probably can't screw that up too badly unless you fail to weigh the powder and double throw a charge or two. Go out, shoot what you've manufactured over a chronograph and compare the results with published data on what you've produced. Wash, rinse, repeat until you are good at it. Then move on to another caliber and do the same. Save the more complex things like case trimming, neck sizing, rifle cartridges etc. until you have successfully shot a few hundred of your creations without blowing up one of your guns and losing a couple of fingers. Reloading is a hobby that can maim or kill you or somebody else if you are sloppy or inattentive. Leave the cold beer in the refrigerator until you're done for the night and turn the radio off ... pay attention and read all the way through one of those books mentioned in the messages above this one. Right now aluminum cased 9mm are selling for a nickle... five cents a cartridge.. You can't possibly beat that price reloading at home so you will be doing it for the satisfaction and fun of manufacturing your own.

There is a serious mismatch between your competency level and your dreams... You are practically a beginner and you want to reload at least 8 different sizes and complexities of bullets.

Pick 1, ONE, like 9mm you probably can't screw that up too badly unless you fail to weigh the powder and double throw a charge or two. Go out, shoot what you've manufactured over a chronograph and compare the results with published data on what you've produced. Wash, rinse, repeat until you are good at it.

Then move on to another caliber and do the same. Save the more complex things like case trimming, neck sizing, rifle cartridges etc. until you have successfully shot a few hundred of your creations without blowing up one of your guns and losing a couple of fingers.

Reloading is a hobby that can maim or kill you or somebody else if you are sloppy or inattentive. Leave the cold beer in the refrigerator until you're done for the night and turn the radio off ... pay attention and read all the way through one of those books mentioned in the messages above this one.

Right now aluminum cased 9mm are selling for a nickel... five cents a cartridge.. You can't possibly beat that price reloading at home so you will be doing it for the satisfaction and fun of manufacturing your own.

Whole heartedly agree.

where do you live? if you happen to be around the corvallis/albany area, or would like to come to corvallis/albany.. Im sure @Dyjital and myself would be more than glad to set you down the path of a forever smile and empty wallet :)

That means I would need to clean up my bench area... ugh. It's a mess (again).

Lucky Gunner free shipping on 6 or more last week.

Best I can do is around 9 cents a round but that's 124 gr. jacketed hollow points.
Primers are the biggest individual item right now. I use CCI only in Glock 19 and 26

Lucky Gunner free shipping on 6 or more last week.

Best I can do is around 9 cents a round but that's 124 gr. jacketed hollow points.
Primers are the biggest individual item right now. I use CCI only in Glock 19 and 26
$50 for 1000 9mm cartridges is pretty reasonable. I thought cases of 1000 were going for around $200. lol
So 6 of what?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top