JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Right now aluminum cased 9mm are selling for a nickle... five cents a cartridge.. You can't possibly beat that price reloading at home so you will be doing it for the satisfaction and fun of manufacturing your own.
Please share who has 9mm aluminum case ammo for $2.50 per box of 50. I can't even find jacketed bullets for that price. And if you meant steel case ammo, I still can't find any anywhere near that cheap, not to mention I would never use that bimetal bulleted garbage in my firearms. Maybe if I had an SKS or a Hi Point. :rolleyes:

Lucky Gunner free shipping on 6 or more last week.

Best I can do is around 9 cents a round but that's 124 gr. jacketed hollow points.
Primers are the biggest individual item right now. I use CCI only in Glock 19 and 26
Primers are more than JHP's? Actual jacketed hollow points? huh.
I don't really know.. I bought a "few" Tula primers not so long ago.. $16/1000.

My suggestion is: buy small quantities of powder and bullets until you settle on recipes you like; and even then avoid stockpiling, because you may eventually change your mind and then you're stuck with a bunch of components you no longer want.

I know this from experience.

Let me know if you want to buy some powder!

There is a serious mismatch between your competency level and your dreams... You are practically a beginner and you want to reload at least 8 different sizes and complexities of bullets. Pick 1, ONE, like 9mm you probably can't screw that up too badly unless you fail to weigh the powder and double throw a charge or two. Go out, shoot what you've manufactured over a chronograph and compare the results with published data on what you've produced. Wash, rinse, repeat until you are good at it. Then move on to another caliber and do the same. Save the more complex things like case trimming, neck sizing, rifle cartridges etc. until you have successfully shot a few hundred of your creations without blowing up one of your guns and losing a couple of fingers. Reloading is a hobby that can maim or kill you or somebody else if you are sloppy or inattentive. Leave the cold beer in the refrigerator until you're done for the night and turn the radio off ... pay attention and read all the way through one of those books mentioned in the messages above this one. Right now aluminum cased 9mm are selling for a nickle... five cents a cartridge.. You can't possibly beat that price reloading at home so you will be doing it for the satisfaction and fun of manufacturing your own.

First off. If you are trying to scare me away with this message. Your not. And kinda an bubblegum for doing so.

I don't know where you get 8 out of 4???... Math doesn't add up there Chief. And I am choosing to reload because I WANT to. If I was just wanting ammo don't you think I'd just go buy it? Ffs I had the patients to hand type a Gun Trust letter for letter from a legal document. That took weeks. Just so I could do it the "smart" way for buying a Can.

When I make loads of course I'm going to test them. And I'm going to check and recheck and triple check all the work before even making a live round.
And before I even do that. It's going to be hours upon hours of reading and learning.

But thanks for trying to kill and already dying breed.

Koda

Millennials .... ask for advice and thank you is always just another challenge. Patience or you may end up a patient.
It may be a better idea to start by not telling someone who you dont know anything about that they are not capable and how they should do something... Not normally the best way to start helping someone..

Well, this thread has degradated...

Looks more like a:
image.jpeg

I wouldn't categorize it as such at all.
The gentleman was asked to clarify his statements very nicely on numerous occasions.

I agree. I was still waiting to find out where 9mm ammo can be ordered for $2.50 per box of 50.
As to the original poster, I would have suggested that he start simpler, as well. A single stage press is very flexible and a great learning tool, especially for someone planning to load multiple cartridges and experiment with different loads for each. I also have a Dillon RL 550B, and it is a great tool and incredible machine for loading a bunch of ammo quickly. It is not nearly as convenient for switching between cartridges or loading 10 rounds each of different powder or bullet combinations for a cartridge. Invariably, I use the RCBS Rockchucker to load all my centerfire rifle ammo, as well as experimenting with different powders and bullets for individual cartridges. Also, a single stage press is cheaper to add additional cartridges to load for, since you don't need a cartridge conversion kit from Dillon for each one. You just need dies and a shell holder. For handgun rounds, once you have found a load you like, then stock up on components, adjust the Dillon, and crank them out. But finding that particular load is easier, IMO, on a single stage press. I use my Rockchucker more than the Dillon, truth to be told. But when I want to load a bunch of 9mm or .357 Magnum, Big Blue is ready to rock.

I agree. I was still waiting to find out where 9mm ammo can be ordered for $2.50 per box of 50.
As to the original poster, I would have suggested that he start simpler, as well. A single stage press is very flexible and a great learning tool, especially for someone planning to load multiple cartridges and experiment with different loads for each. I also have a Dillon RL 550B, and it is a great tool and incredible machine for loading a bunch of ammo quickly. It is not nearly as convenient for switching between cartridges or loading 10 rounds each of different powder or bullet combinations for a cartridge. Invariably, I use the RCBS Rockchucker to load all my centerfire rifle ammo, as well as experimenting with different powders and bullets for individual cartridges. Also, a single stage press is cheaper to add additional cartridges to load for, since you don't need a cartridge conversion kit from Dillon for each one. You just need dies and a shell holder. For handgun rounds, once you have found a load you like, then stock up on components, adjust the Dillon, and crank them out. But finding that particular load is easier, IMO, on a single stage press. I use my Rockchucker more than the Dillon, truth to be told. But when I want to load a bunch of 9mm or .357 Magnum, Big Blue is ready to rock.

Respectfully, I have points of agreement and points of disagreement with what you wrote.

I also use my 550B for pistol cases only, and an RCBS for all rifle loads. However, as I have stated before, the Dillon 550b IMO and in my experience works just fine either loaded one round at a time or used very carefully on pistol loads for beginners. Where I think problems arise is when inexperienced or inattentive loaders try to crank em out.

I think I agree with everything else. Would have advised starting with a single stage press also, if nothing else for simplicity of assembly, but I think that ship has sailed. Say la v.

Best of all situation is to have both. :)

To the OP... Nothing wrong with having dreams about what you can do with your new hobby. It is exciting and fun just to think of it. I wish I was still in a financial state where I could afford a bunch of different calibers!!!

When 20 people give you substantially the same advice when you ask for it, they might get the feeling that you do have a knowledge deficit. No one here is trying to tell you to do something dumb and most of us are warning you because we've done the stupid things first. I know I have.

OTOH great that you're reloading. Keep us posted on what we can learn from you.

bbbass,

As you said, "Best of all situation is to have both."

I second that.

_____

Yup..

I have several progressive presses and a single stage press. My first progressive after much time loading with my single stage was my Dillon. LOL...I don't even know for sure if it has a number associated with it (perhaps 300 or 400 or 450)? Anyway, the Dillon (yes, four die holes and a non-removable head) just didn't cut it for me. I thought about an upgrade. But, then I had to figure in the costs.

If I bought a new Dillon 550 (or whatever)
Tool heads
Powder measures for each tool head
Primer mechanism, switch times, extra tubes, and the time to reload tubes
Shell holders and locator buttons
BTW, some say that Dillon dies work BEST with a Dillon....OMG!

So.....bottom line: it would be expensive to change from one caliber to the next. And......it's not really a progressive if I have to trim cases in a separate step. Not to mention that there are only so many holes in the tool head.

Ooops....Dillon trimmer/re-sizer. $$$

OK, forget about that for a moment.....

So for pistol ammo......my solution was to buy a separate LEE M1000 for all of the pistol calibers that I load for (9mm, .38 Special/.357 Mag, and the .45 ACP). Yup, three presses. They weren't that expensive back when I bought them. So, all I have to do is change out the press on the bench and I'm back in business. The dies don't have to be re-adjusted, powder measure doesn't have to be re-adjusted, primers (lg or sm) and the shell plate is already set up for the caliber. Course, it helps if you don't change up your favorite/particular load data.

But my single stage RCBS Rock Chucker is still useful. You know......loading those "other calibers" that don't get used too often. And, of course.....with rifle bottle necked cases. I want that extra power while resizing cases* and well, I like to trim and re-prime my cases off of the press.

OK, Ok, ok.....YES....it could all be done on a progressive like a Dillon. But, it won't be the way I like doing things.

So then, I like to do my rifle cartridges by the batch processing method. Say 50 or 100 cases at a time. Call it a "lot." OK, Ok, ok....that's not 100% accurate. Because, mostly I just prep brass by the box/bag full (just one step at a time). Example: Today, I'll pop out the old military primers (hammer and anvil style). Tomorrow, I'll wash brass. I'll wait a couple of days for it to dry. Then, I'll lube them and re-size. After that, I'll need to wash the lube off. Wait again, for it to dry. Trim. Then, re-prime using my LEE hand priming tool. Etc, etc...... See how I work? I can always come back the next day (or much later) and move on to another step. If I get tired, I can always take a break. No big deal. And, I could always multitask too (if I wanted to rush). So anyway, the 50-100 figure is more because of the loading block size. Which is useful for IDing lots. Just in case something goes wrong. Not to mention, during the powder drop, those case are all lined up nice and pretty.

Anyway, as it's been mentioned before........"there is more than one way to skin a cat."

LOL.....I can't even remember when I last used my Dillon. But, I'm not selling it either. One day perhaps it'll go back into service.

*There is a story here. But, it can wait.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
L0rdy, that was a block.
Didn't read.

Well little indian, you named at least 6 ("Plan on loading .308, 300BLK, 9mm, and .223 some subsonic recipes, along with regular loads to). Giving you the benefit of the doubt recipes is plural that means at least 2... you're up to 7 before adding "regular loads" of which there are many.
I concur with Goosebrown, rather hear of your successes from you than read the obituary about you. We were all beginners once and there are no stupid questions, only stupid actions.
Certaindeaf, what part of "Lucky Gunner free shipping on 6 or more last week" was not clear?

There's no reason the OP can't load all those and more. I have 14 quick changes for different calibers plus a few tool heads set up for others. All it takes is pay attention, take your time, and study. More encouragement would be better than the negativity.

Good grief... Everyone just put their Red Bulls down for a minute. Newbies need advice and support not infighting... that doesn't help anyone, including the group overall consisting of reloaders and gun enthusiasts in general... so let's get back to helping, shall we?

Ok now everyone take a deep breath and remember when we all started... the thing is that we all have our biases and opinions. The OP asked for some advice, and I applaud him for doing so. Most everyone agrees, myself included, that a single stage press is best for learning on. However since he already has the 550, the best service is to caution what can go wrong with the progressive so he can be aware. Someone asked and I don't think it was answered where the OP lives. I would highly recommend that having a coach nearby to walk through setup questions. I still think that a single stage is a sound investment in addition to the 550, and would facilitate the learning process, but that's up to the OP.

I had a boss tell me once as a consulting engineer that "we can only offer our professional opinions , but clients are under no obligation to listen". The same holds true here.

So Koda, you have some great information here. I have found that researching, asking for opinions is great, but at the end of the day it's your decision as to how much of the advice you follow. I think everyone is trying to help to the best of their ability... I wish you much success and fun in your new hobby, but most of all be safe! Having you hurt yourself or someone else is not only bad for you, but bad for all of us. How long do you think it would take for lawmakers to decide they need to "protect" all of us from the evils of reloading if accidents become a regular occurance? If you feel like asking for some one to help in your general area, I am sure there is a veteran reloader willing to do that; but again just a suggestion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top