JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which one would you choose?

• S&W Model 36

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • S&W Model 10

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Theoretical vote here, they're essentially the same price, and same gun for that matter, barrel length is the difference in reality, but i was curious what people thought.

Model 36
2 inch barrel, 19.5oz
View attachment 329116
View attachment 329119

Model 10
4 inch barrel, 34.4oz
View attachment 329117
View attachment 329118
The model 36, however, still limited by fixed sights and .38 Special, but as a concealed gun, it remains a great choice, and one of the best all time snubbie revolvers ever.
I think it should be noted that the Model 36 can also be had in a Stainless Steel version called the Model 60. And both have been made in .357 Magnum versions and both have been made with Adjustable Sights. It should also be mentioned that Joe Friday carried a Model 10 with the 2" while most of his partners carried the Model 10 with the longer 4" tube. Some things have changed but some things have stayed the same.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My "J" frame is an Airweight concealed-hammer in .32 H&R Magnum. If I were to buy a revolver chambered in .38 S&W Special, it would be a used Model #64 round-butt in a 4" barrel. In a muzzle up, butt down holster (my preferred method of carry) I can effectively conceal a "K" frame revolver and use 158-grain +p SWCHP and "get the job done" as needed.

A blued steel 2" K frame with a round butt just ooozes cool. Joe Friday makes it so.
452px-Dragn67_5.jpg

They also shoot really nice due to the extra weight over the J frames.

I've got a couple model 10s but the only J frame size revolvers I have are of the Taurus and Charter arms variety. All are great guns, fun to shoot and easy to pack.

The 36 is an awesome gun- my dad has 2 and carries one as his edc. Fun to shoot at the range, too. accurate enough at distances past 50 feet- minute of man type accuracy (at least in my novice hands).
I've never held a 10, so can't say anything about it. That's the gun I would choose right now though, since there are already 2 36es in the family.

A blued steel 2" K frame with a round butt just ooozes cool. Joe Friday makes it so.
View attachment 329299

They also shoot really nice due to the extra weight over the J frames.

I've got a couple model 10s but the only J frame size revolvers I have are of the Taurus and Charter arms variety. All are great guns, fun to shoot and easy to pack.
Here's real life cool..
Bill on the right with his 4" K and I don't know what Jelly Bean has.. (I didn't know that bad bubblegum was so little.. but Bill was big)..

th?&id=OIP.M2bf0eccc011106e598b2675b82eea17aH0&w=233&h=299&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

I have both a pre 36 and pre 10. If you get out to the East side one day you're welcome to come by and fondle both.

That 36 is a tiny fit in your palm gun. Great for appendix carry, not so good as a range gun. Model 10, real pretty S&W classic sidearm.
Thank you, but don't tempt me, i'd walk away with one from you! :)

Maxx, you didn't say what you'd use/want it/them for.
They are way different from one another save for both of those factory grips suck balls.
Ideally, a used, fixed sight 3" (or 2 or 4 if you cant find a 3") K frame, stainless or blue, .38 or .357 can be found for $3-500.. It'd bridge both of those and be an ideal range, house and carry gun all in one.

So, like most of my guns, they're for fun, i have my guns that i need to take 'more seriously' - for a specific requirement you might say.

Here's the deal with me right now;

1) I have my new firearm card stamped and up to around $500.
2) I want either, something that fires .38sp or a nice original SMLE.

I already have a big 357 tank, i mean, revolver, so i want something that's more satisfying to fire .38sp - I also want it blued (even though i love stainless) as my tank is stainless, i like the variety.

I think 4 inch on the barrel is probably pushing if for my use, a 2 or 3 inch would be perfect i think. I also want an exposed hammer, not shrouded or hidden, i guess i'm looking for the classic look? So those pointing out Joe Friday, yup, that'll do :)

I have a "J" frame in 3" with adjustable sights. I love that gun! It's not a pocket pistol but holstered it just disappears under my shirt!
Be real sure that you want a snubby before you buy one! Not all that pleasant to shoot for very long. Bummer choice :D!

Thank you, but don't tempt me, i'd walk away with one from you! :)

Oh, I'd watch you reeeaal close! ;) Those are two guns I'd never let go. The pre 10 was my grandpas when he was in law enforcement in LA in the late '40s early '50s. Anyways, I belong to the Johnson Creek gun club so you be welcome to shoot'em if you wanted.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews