JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not yet. My son and I recently purchased two HK 45,s. He has been running super in glocks with various mods, which I was not interested in taking part of. His research told him HK guns would handle the super with no mods. That impressed me enough to buy one myself.
Thanks. I'd read online on maybe the HK forum that the USP full size worked due to toe recoil spring assembly set up, and maybe one or two others said or thought the HK45 would also be ok, but I've not talked to anyone who's shot the super out of the HK45. However, after searching online, the HK45 manual on page 25 states:

NOTE: Currently there are no known .45 ACP ammunition types that are not
compatible with the HK45 pistols with the exception of some light, match
grade wadcutter loads that provide insufficient recoil impulse to reliably
operate the HK45. All HK45 pistols are approved for use with +P and +P+
ammunition.
The use of +P and +P+ ammunition does accelerate wear and
reduce the service life on the component parts of any pistol including the
HK45.

I'm not a reloader, but assume 45 super and 45 +p+ are close?

Edit: Apologies to the original poster for highjacking the thread

Starline makes .45 Super and .460 Rowland (really obscure) brass. Am betting .45 Winchester Magnum cases could be shortened to make Super. They are rated at 40K pressure.

I accept your experience with your G30, but have a safety question
I only have one Glock OEM barrel, the rest are aftermarket
My G22 Gen 4 barrel des not have a fully supported case head area, all the aftermarket barrels do
does your G30 barrel have a fully supported area for the case head?
"The internet" blows that nonsense out of proportion.

My former employer worked with Triton developing the Super, he did most of the machine work. The factory Glock barrels are fine. I saw the testing they they did with factory and aftermarket G21, HK, 1911 and S&W barrels. It took some serious effort to do any damage, none of which occurred within cartridge specs. The overloads were quite spectacular though! That was fun to watch!

I always paid close attention to the cases, but never saw any signs of overpressure or bulging. Looking at it now, I doubt anyone would know anything but standard pressure ACP was ever put through it.

"The internet" blows that nonsense out of proportion.

My former employer worked with Triton developing the Super, he did most of the machine work. The factory Glock barrels are fine. I saw the testing they they did with factory and aftermarket G21, HK, 1911 and S&W barrels. It took some serious effort to do any damage, none of which occurred within cartridge specs. The overloads were quite spectacular though! That was fun to watch!

I always paid close attention to the cases, but never saw any signs of overpressure or bulging. Looking at it now, I doubt anyone would know anything but standard pressure ACP was ever put through it.
good info

RE: case head support....

The guns barrel or chamber is designed to handle the cartridge chamber pressure its designed for regardless if it has full case head support or less.

RE: case head support....

The guns barrel or chamber is designed to handle the cartridge chamber pressure its designed for regardless if it has full case head support or less.
then it's my choice to only run 45 Super in my 4506
will restrict my S.A. 1911 to 45+P

springs and ammo get here next week

then it's my choice to only run 45 Super in my 4506
will restrict my S.A. 1911 to 45+P

springs and ammo get here next week
its a dilemma...

All 45acps (like your 4506) were engineered to handle 45acp pressure per saami spec.

But your 4506 is well known to handle 45 super? As far as I know the 45 super was designed around the 1911, but its the same situation.

I havent looked up the differences in chamber pressure, does saami even recognize the 45super or SMC?

its a dilemma...

All 45acps (like your 4506) were engineered to handle 45acp pressure per saami spec.

But your 4506 is well known to handle 45 super? As far as I know the 45 super was designed around the 1911, but its the same situation.

I havent looked up the differences in chamber pressure, does saami even recognize the 45super or SMC?
the 45 Super WAS designed around the 1911, but with a different barrel

the 45 Super WAS designed around the 1911, but with a different barrel

It looks that way, but also they redesigned the 45 super brass with much stronger brass to handle the pressure.

Some newer/modern 45acp's (including 1911s) come with ramped barrels which offer more case support.

Wikipedia also has a note about using your 4506 for a 45Super I think you will enjoy reading....

Without a comp, do you only need to replace the recoil spring with a stronger one to shoot super/SMC?

I often hear concerns about the recoil of the .45 Super damaging pistols which are designed for the .45 ACP cartridge. The 10 mm Glock 20 and the .45 ACP Glock 21 are built on the same frame and there is only a small difference in the slides on these pistols. They are equipped with the same recoil spring. The recoil of the 10 mm 230 grain bullet at 1,130 FPS must be similar if not the same as a .45 Super 230 grain bullet at 1,130 FPS. The recoil impulse for both calibers using heavy loads should be nearly identical.

Personally, I don't agree; I have noticed that the felt recoil of 180gr .40 loads at 1000 fps is noticeably lighter than the 185gr .45 ACP loads at 1000fps. This is in very similar pistols - the SIG 226 for the .40 and the SIG 227 for the .45 ACP.

That said, I do think that the G21 can just as easily handle .45 Super/SMC loads as the G20 can handle 10mm loads - although I would not be surprised if the recoil impulse was more for the .45 Super. There is more to recoil than the theoretical calculations of bullet mass and velocity.

so, how many are going to run 45 Super in their .45s?
my ammo will get here this week
my 1911 already has a frame buffer and new firing pin stop to slow down recoil for .45+P
I'll need a 22 lbs recoil spring (have an 18 lbs now), but according to the discussion here, I should be able to shoot 45 Super in my 1911 also
but my main objective is to run them through my 4506

from the 1911 forum:
"My Springfield is no longer converted, but there's not much to it at all. An EGW flat(non radiused)firing pin stop, FLGR, 20lb recoil spring and Wilson buffers are all that's needed. You may or may not need to beef up your mag springs, but my mil-spec ran perfectly without having to change them out with both metalform and checkmate mags. My first "conversion" was with a G21 several years back and it ran perfectly. The 45Super adds ALOT of versatility to the 1911 and still operates at very low pressures(about 25,000psi). It will do everything the 10mm can and at much lower pressures and has the punch necessary for blackbear and boar."

so, how many are going to run 45 Super in their .45s?
Not at this time but its an interest of mine. I already own a 10mm long before the Super came around so that puts it lower on the bucket list for me. But.... I have a bucket list to build a longslide on a glock or P80 frame in 10mm but could be convinced to build a 45 Super someday (or both interchangeable on the same frame). Im genuinely curious how yours and others mods work out especially with reliability. Keep us posted on your project here. :)

Not at this time but its an interest of mine. I already own a 10mm long before the Super came around so that puts it lower on the bucket list for me. But.... I have a bucket list to build a longslide on a glock or P80 frame in 10mm but could be convinced to build a 45 Super someday (or both interchangeable on the same frame). Im genuinely curious how yours and others mods work out especially with reliability. Keep us posted on your project here. :)
now this I didn't know until the last couple of days, the 45 Super has been around since 1988

now this I didn't know until the last couple of days, the 45 Super has been around since 1988
then my knowledge of the Super is off, my bad.
I got into the 10mm back in the mid 1990s and did not discover there was a 45 Super until just a few years ago.

I got into the 10mm back in the mid 1990s and did not discover there was a 45 Super until just a few years ago.

this posting has been informative to you and I both
this 4506 has been in my gunsafe for decades
I just decided to look into 45 Super last week

The nice thing about having guns in the different calibers, 9mm, .357, .40, .44, .45 - etc., is that with such variations/wildcats, you have candidates for conversions, especially the ones that go back and forth. Same goes for new ammo developments in those calibers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top