JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would be fun to see pics of the internals and assembly process though.
I was contacted by KDS grips this morning
they want complete disassembly photos of MY early 4506 and how I solve the double action problems with their grips
they do make a set of arch back grips for the 4506, but I want a straight back, so will work with springs to make it work
I'll include all my communications with KDS grips in this post

I got the Wolf springs in today
the OEM spring is 20#
I started at 18# ad settled on the 16#
12 # double action pull, 6# single action, typical for these old Smiths
I got good ignition on a variety of .45 ACP ammo

tomorrow the 45 Super ammo arrives, have Wolf springs from 16# to 22#
will let you know

the photo is of the OEM grip with the strut mount in the grip and the adapter from KDS to frame mount the strut

20221212_095410.jpg 20221212_095358.jpg 20221215_140730.jpg 20221215_140741.jpg

I've read on a S&W forum the flat back grips and arc back grips are interchangeable with the same hammer spring

that's not my finding, but KNS grips told me the same thing

do any of you have a Gen 3 Smith with flat back grips you can send me photos of your hammer strut mount

is it frame mounted or grip mounted

what is your double action trigger pull?

an old Smith 4506 I bought new in '89 a massive double action/single action 3rd Gen stainless steel .45
for those of you old enough to remember, Don Johnson carried one in "MIAMI VICE"
Only during the 5th and final season, the first two seasons he used a Bren Ten (which was actually chambered in 45acp due to the availability of blanks), and in seasons 3 and 4 he used an S&W 645 2nd Gen.

He also changed holsters from the Ted Blocker "Lifeline" to the Jackass Leather Company (later renamed Galco International) "Original Jackass Rig" shoulder holster.

It was a great show.

Last Edited:
Only during the 5th and final season, the first two seasons he used a Bren Ten (which was actually chambered in 45acp due to the availability of blanks), and in seasons 3 and 4 he used an S&W 645 2nd Gen.

He also changed holsters from the Ted Blocker "Lifeline" to the Jackass Leather Company (later renamed Galco International) "Original Jackass Rig" shoulder holster.

It was a great show.

and I have one of those Jackass holsters - they fit great

the 4506 came out in '88, so, yes Don Johnson could have only used it in the last season into 1989
which is when I bought mine, I think it was Sept of '89

the 4506 came out in '88, so, yes Don Johnson could have only used it in the last season into 1989
which is when I bought mine, I think it was Sept of '89
Michael Mann wanted Crockett portrayed as "being on the cutting edge of firearms technology", hence the Bren Ten and when Dornaus & Dixon went tits up he switch to the big Smith.

It was a great show.

I got the Wolf springs in today
the OEM spring is 20#
I started at 18# ad settled on the 16#
12 # double action pull, 6# single action, typical for these old Smiths
I got good ignition on a variety of .45 ACP ammo

tomorrow the 45 Super ammo arrives, have Wolf springs from 16# to 22#
will let you know

the photo is of the OEM grip with the strut mount in the grip and the adapter from KDS to frame mount the strut

View attachment 1330758 View attachment 1330759 View attachment 1330760 View attachment 1330761

20221215_195654.jpg 20221215_195436.jpg 20221215_195425.jpg 20221215_195404.jpg

I have considered doing a 16.25 encore barrel in this. The potential 1600 fps bbti got is intriguing with 45 acp as a subs option. Then again I have quite a few offbeat encore barrels.

just installed the 20# recoil spring in the 4506
it is a BEAST to rack now
Underwood ammo arrived early this morning
loaded one round just to see if it cycled - worked fine, locked back after round, but even with a 20# recoil spring, recoil is stiff
loaded 2 rounds cycled fine, locked back after last round, but you are definitely going to need ear protectors for this round

loaded 2 rounds of 230 grn .45ACP - still cycles fine, but feels like a 9mm with bunny fart loads

so now I have a 45 Super, will shoot .45 ACP in it most often for practice

after the performance of the Sprinco recoil management system on my 1911, I contacted Sprinco and they can make a custom RMS for this 4506 to 45 Super conversion. If any pistol needs one, this 45 super does

will update you once I get it installed, but probably in January

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads