JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which one would you choose?

• S&W Model 36

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • S&W Model 10

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Theoretical vote here, they're essentially the same price, and same gun for that matter, barrel length is the difference in reality, but i was curious what people thought.

Model 36
2 inch barrel, 19.5oz
150184_01_lg_0_0_0[1].jpg
150184_02_lg_0[1].jpg

Model 10
4 inch barrel, 34.4oz
150786_01_lg_0_0_0[1].jpg
150786_03_lg_0[1].jpg

Not at all the same gun.

Model 10 is a K frame, 6 shot.

Model 36 is a J frame, 5 shot, a much smaller gun.

Last Edited:
Ahh, thankyou, that makes more sense with why it's 75% heavier.

But there are twists to everything. Both models can be had with round or square grip frames.

Both models can be had with snubbie barrels, or service-length barrels.

If you remember cop and gangster movies, the Model 10 or M&P was what the older cops wore on the outside of their uniform. The detectives, and gangsters carried the early pre-36 inside their jacket. The Model 10 is also what we carried as personal weapons in Army aviation during and after Vietnam.

What would I choose? The model 10 is a wonderful gun, but it is old school. Fixed sights and limited to .38 Special, it has lost the popularity it once had. For modern use, it was popularly replaced by the Model 19 or 66, and eventually the L-Frame and N-Frame Smith's. Adjustable sights and .357 capable.

The model 36, however, still limited by fixed sights and .38 Special, but as a concealed gun, it remains a great choice, and one of the best all time snubbie revolvers ever.

Last Edited:
Remember these are new production models, under Smith's Classic line, but yes, both .38's.

Not sure if the old school matters anymore with them being new production? Both are available in the config i posted, not with other barrel lengths.

Guess my little memory bank still resides in the old schoolhouse. Last time I looked in a S&W catalogue, Model 10's were available with 2" and 4" barrels. Over the years, they've been available also with 5" and 6" barrels.

Model 36's were available with 2" and 3" barrels. The 3" model 36 and square butt is one of the most gorgeous revolvers ever made.

Of your choices, I would prefer the model 10. But, I would rather have a 3" barrel and fixed sights in .357. So a model 60. Or maybe adjustable sights, so a model 686, or 66 in 3". Or maybe...:p

I like the bigger guns for revolvers. With more modern technology (polymer among others) there are way better carry options than small revolvers. Quieter, (no rounds rattling as you walk), more compact, better powders (off the shelf) that don't have as much muzzle flash, and most importantly, they don't hurt your fingers every time the gun jumps because of undersized grips.

Just my opinion/preference!! That model 36 sure looks sweet! I do own a small revolver and its easily one of my favorites.

I'm guessing not having looked up the new models that they may be rated for plus P ammo, other than that a 38 special is a 38---
Being a fan of earlier production S&W's because of greater QC over todays production, I would be satisfied with standard pressure ammo and a real quality firearm, not a questionable new run. Even a regular revolver can handle an occasional cylinder of +P
now and then. A steady diet will wear it out sooner but keeping it loaded with +P for serious work wouldn't be a problem.

Last Edited:
I'm guessing not having looked up the new models that they may be rated for plus P ammo, other than that a 38 special is a 38---
Being a fan of earlier production S&W's because of greater QC over todays production, I would be satisfied with standard pressure ammo and a real quality firearm, not a questionable new run. Even a regular revolver can handle an occasional cylinder of +P
now and then. A steady diet will wear it out sooner but keeping it loaded with +P for serious work wouldn't be a problem.

Yes the older S&W's were so often famous for how smooth the action was. Long ago that went away since all that hand work cost too much.

Man I wish I had every M36 I've had over the years.
Last one I had was $250. Some old gal sold the shop some guns and I grabbed that one!
Not a fan of the 10's too much

A 2" model 10 would make a fine carry gun. Realize the design is old school, so to speak, but revolvers just simply work.

I've been known to have a 2" .38 tucked away as my primary in very warm weather, they hide well and are adequate for most close quarter self defense needs. (Not intended to spark a self defense caliber debate)

I download .38's for the wife to practice with, turns out to be her favorite right after the .22. And they're great guns to help get someone started with...

Just my feeble .02 worth and worth every penny paid for it:D

A 2" model 10 would make a fine carry gun. Realize the design is old school, so to speak, but revolvers just simply work.

I've been known to have a 2" .38 tucked away as my primary in very warm weather, they hide well and are adequate for most close quarter self defense needs. (Not intended to spark a self defense caliber debate)

I download .38's for the wife to practice with, turns out to be her favorite right after the .22. And they're great guns to help get someone started with...

Just my feeble .02 worth and worth every penny paid for it:D

One of the great things about .38 Sp is for rolling your own. It makes a hands down easy round to learn on. As you mentioned it (loaded down) makes a great round to teach with too. I HATE seeing someone take a new shooter, especially a woman, to a range and hand them a gun that scares them. All this does is create a flinch so bad they can't hit paper. Then they don't want to shoot. I just saw this again last week. Guy with girl, hands her some small sub compact auto. She was missing full size silhouette target at 15ft. I was tempted to offer to let him use one of my .22's for her to get her on paper. The look of him told me my offer would not be well received. The fool was teaching her nothing but fear and frustration.

Buying a new smith and Wesson over a nice used one is like choosing a new yugo over a nice low miles bmw.
That being said if you can find a older example of either of these it would serve you well I still kick myself for letting my cousin claim my grandfather's 2" model 10 that was his off duty piece. Revolvers of the golden age are just a joy to shoot.

I voted Model 10 which in my mind would be a better range gun. I have a 66 which is a K frame with adjustable sights and rated for .357 mag. However if this was a concealed carry gun, I would go Model 36.

I have both a pre 36 and pre 10. If you get out to the East side one day you're welcome to come by and fondle both.

That 36 is a tiny fit in your palm gun. Great for appendix carry, not so good as a range gun. Model 10, real pretty S&W classic sidearm.

Maxx, you didn't say what you'd use/want it/them for.
They are way different from one another save for both of those factory grips suck balls.
Ideally, a used, fixed sight 3" (or 2 or 4 if you cant find a 3") K frame, stainless or blue, .38 or .357 can be found for $3-500.. It'd bridge both of those and be an ideal range, house and carry gun all in one.

Finding a used snubber of any flavor can be difficult.
Used to be they would last 15 minutes at the shows. Or get traded around like your sister at the....never mind
And I never touched her:eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads