JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New Savage MKII BRJ I got Questions!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New rifle. I want to take care of it!

Q) Wood Laminate stock. How do I treat and protect the stock?

Q) How do I maintain the finish of the rifle's Carbon Steel Satin Blued parts?

Q) 'Break-in' procedure? The Owners Manual has NOTHING in it about 'Break-in'.?

SavageMKIIBRJ.png

I have.
There are as many theroy's about 'Break-in' as there are suggestions of which
oils to use in my motorcycle. Hundreds.
I figured if I where to post these questions on this forum, I would get the 'best answeres'.

Not a bad idea to clean the barrel before you take it out for the first time then just shoot it. I never did any break-in with my Savage .17HMR and it'll hold a quarter sized group at 100 yards all day long.

I didn't do any break in on my Mark IIFV. It shoots great. I finally cleaned after a year of use and it took about 10 or 20 shots to get it's accuracy back.

Order some match ammo for it and it should make you smile.

One man's opinion:
Stock - wipe if with dry cloths, don't oil it. If you need to clean it, use a light mix of some household soap and water.
Blued surfaces - clean and wipe with oiled or silicone gun cloth. Shoudn't need more than that over lots of years.
Break-in - Give it a good cleaning. Remove the bolt and clean from the breech end. Shoot it alot, with various types of ammo. How often you clean it after will depend upon the environment you find yourself in. If you're out in the rain, you'll want to run dry patches throught the barrel at the very least.

Cleaning barrels is one of the most discussed topics - some clean after every shooting trip, others try hard to almost never clean the barrel. Your gun will dictate your behavior based on how well it shoots "dirty", versus clean.

Good luck.

Buy a can of Johnson's (or Minwax) paste wax. It may last you the rest of your life. Great for the final touch on any wood and any metal, and resists fingerprints on the metal. Superior rust preventative too.

As a competition smallbore shooter, I learned from an Olympic champion that 22lr rifles should never need any cleaning of the barrel, unless moisture or dirt is allowed to enter. Modern .22 ammo is the best care for these barrels, and frequent cleaning is a detriment to accuracy, with best accuracy only restored by more shooting.

Having said that, somehow I just can't completely forget about cleaning the barrels of my .22's, so about once a year I will clean them with only a NYLON brush (not bronze), and any good solvent, followed by a "storage treatment" of one patch of CLP and then a dry patch. Then, as the champion told me, it takes a box or two of ammo to get them to shoot like they did before I felt compelled to clean.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top