JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello so I am currently about to purchase a 300 weatherby magnum and a 338 rem mag... i was looking at the reloading data for both calibers and found that the 300 wby mag calls for large rifle magnum match primers for most of data I have found so far... was just curious does it really have to be match primers which I don't have or can I use LRM and still work out?? Any helpful input would be much appreciated... thank you for your time have a great day

I'll hazard a guess that they were trying their best for accuracy during load development. My other thought is because the Match primer is supposedly more consistent there is less fluctuation in pressures, which may become more of an issue at top end loads. Ya think they would stop, though, before it got to a point like that.
I doubt I'd think twice about using LRM primers.

Awesome that's kind of what I was thinking it had to do with accuracy since match are more consistent just wanted to check better to be safe then sorry... thank you much appreciated 🙏

I've never even tried the match primers. I've used plenty of CCI LRM primers in my .300 Wby Mag loads and have had zero issues. My loads are right at MOA. I'm not one to push the envelope, particularly with a round as stout as the .300 Wby Mag.

Hello so I am currently about to purchase a 300 weatherby magnum and a 338 rem mag... i was looking at the reloading data for both calibers and found that the 300 wby mag calls for large rifle magnum match primers for most of data I have found so far... was just curious does it really have to be match primers which I don't have or can I use LRM and still work out?? Any helpful input would be much appreciated... thank you for your time have a great day
Keep in mind when reading loading data, they are not telling you what to use, they are telling you what THEY used, and the results (pressure-velocity) they got. You still need to watch for pressure signs and start at the low end of the data.
As for myself, I do not worry about using the exact primer brand they do.

Weatherby has always been a Bear to reload. The one thing that is Paramount is concentricity. With the Free Bore
concept the bullet is nowhere near the lands. So the more concentric the better the accuracy. Most any large rifle
magnum primer will work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top