JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lol .
I didn't read everything.
I just spray some CLP IN THE BARREL.
Drag one of those cleaning rope things through it a few times.
And shoot it.
That's it

Don't forget to remove the rope first. You don't wanna be that guy..

Kaboom3_zps0ec90044.jpg

Overall, good stuff, and, because we are individuals, we don't all do it the same way. I picked up a number of shotguns, and never felt a good fit until my Mossberg 930 JM Pro 22". Anything longer didn't feel right. Why a competition shotgun? It had better internal parts and, being ambidextrous and shooting left handed, I loved the oversized charging handle. I say this to make this point, all of us do things for differing reasons; maybe in the end we get the same results. Like Frank Sinatra, "I did it my way." Cheers!!!

Overall, good stuff, and, because we are individuals, we don't all do it the same way. I picked up a number of shotguns, and never felt a good fit until my Mossberg 930 JM Pro 22". Anything longer didn't feel right. Why a competition shotgun? It had better internal parts and, being ambidextrous and shooting left handed, I loved the oversized charging handle. I say this to make this point, all of us do things for differing reasons; maybe in the end we get the same results. Like Frank Sinatra, "I did it my way." Cheers!!!
I shoot left hand also .
For years I hunted with a right hand gun .
Then I spent the money and got a left hand shot gun .
Lol back to school .
I was so used to a right hand I had problems.

Ok back on topic.
When I get a new gun I take it home .
Read the directions .if I don't know anything about it.
I clean it I lube it I DRAG a cleaning rope though the barrel.
Then I shoot it.
And shoot it and shots it.and you get the picture .
Then I take it home clean it again put it in the safe and a few days or weeks later I do the same thing .
Easy.
All said and done your barrel will not change much.
Unless you blast away hundreds of rounds in a short period of time.
Then it will get HOT AND YOU WILL SEE A DIFFERENCE

I shoot left hand also .
For years I hunted with a right hand gun .
Then I spent the money and got a left hand shot gun .
Lol back to school .
I was so used to a right hand I had problems.
I am right-handed predominantly but do some things left-handed. I have swung the bat left-handed as well as golfed left; eat left; shave left. Somewhat ambidextrous, although I do more right handed. I am left-eye dominant, and my right eye has poor vision. Therefore, I couldn't shoot on my right side if I wanted. I hear you saying that switching from right to left feels different. In time, you will become comfortable shooting from the left side.

There was an article on this in the American Rifleman, probably as far back as the '80s. The author took two identical rifles and did the shoot one / clean one for 5, then shoot three / clean type of program until he when through 5 boxes of shells. The other rifle he shot an entire box (of 20) then cleaned until he went through 5 boxes of shells.

The second method he figured matched "Joe averages" approach. Go to the range with a box of shells and shoot and go home. Come back later with a box of shells …. you get the idea.

Of course the first method mirrored may of the more popular break in methods.

He measured resistance pulling sized lead slugs through the bore (to assess smoothness), and bore scoped the barrel at each cleaning to assess fouling etc.. He also measured velocity as well as group size. There were a couple of other measurements but it's been far too long for me to remember.

The results were that both rifles ended up at the same place regarding accuracy, velocity, smoothness and perceived fouling / difficulty in cleaning. So his recommendation, just go out and shoot the thing. By the time you develop a load you are done.

I know this is a small experimental sample having just two rifles, but it seems to bear out what I have seen over the years. So I'm in the camp that I do not want to lose any more valuable metal in the throat area and do not break in any barrel. I just shoot them and call it good, and it's worked in my competition guns as well as field guns.

I do like the TMS system to clean up the throat every 1,000 rounds or so. It has made a measurable difference in the two rifles I've tried it on.

So … for what it's worth!

GRIN

Last Edited:
I am right-handed predominantly but do some things left-handed. I have swung the bat left-handed as well as golfed left; eat left; shave left. Somewhat ambidextrous, although I do more right handed. I am left-eye dominant, and my right eye has poor vision. Therefore, I couldn't shoot on my right side if I wanted. I hear you saying that switching from right to left feels different. In time, you will become comfortable shooting from the left side.
Lol I throw baseball left hand .
But I bat right hand .
I shoot Rifle or shotgun Left but I shoot a pistol right hand .
I use a pen or pencil right hand but I surf or ride skate board goofy foot.
Lol left foot forward.
Lol im a real mess

And my brother is the opposite of me use left hand to write and throwing a baseball he uses right hand but bats lefty.
Lol and my sister is right hand across the board.

And my brother is the opposite of me use left hand to write and throwing a baseball he uses right hand but bats lefty.
Lol and my sister is right hand across the board.
and we are off topic again.
Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
That last elk I shot thought my boolitt was pretty real... I BS you not... even tho I sit here in front of a computer... well, it's not a real computer, just a laptop. Real shooters probably use real computers. :confused:

I don't think I know one person on this forum that breaks there barrels in. Keep in mind I have met quite a few of the members and had range time with them if not shared a beer or a meal with them.

I would let anyone of them watch my six knowing they will hit what they are aiming at.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top