JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Go to Harbor Freight and get one of these:

They come in handy for measuring sights.
Generally speaking, front sights with tritium will be a touch wider to accommodate the tritium vial.
I've seen plain black front sights as narrow as .90. I think my Dawson FO front runs .100 or .105. Your best bet is to maybe just go with a 3 dot steel set (the goal post rear blows IMHO). Shoot those for a while until you get a feel for the sights in general and if you might want more or less room in your sight picture. Less daylight between the front and rear, will provide a more precision sight picture. More daylight, will allow a more quicker sight acquisition but you will lose some precision.

Of course, the above is a generalization and may or may not apply to you.

Finding some members here on the forum that will let you try out some of their guns with the sights you are interested in is also an option. Good luck in your quest. Just remember, most folks don't get it right with the sights on the 1st try. Just like holsters, it may take some time to find the right one that work for you..

Last Edited:
So the rear sight is .256 height and the width/notch is .150?

The front sight height is .165 but I can't seem to find the OEM front sight width.

The Ameriglo website shows 3 options .105/.115/.130

Which one is closest to what I already have?

Sorry for all the questions, just getting lol the information I can before making purchases.

I'm headed to the range tomorrow to shoot it for the first time.

Thanks for all the patience
Get some digital calipers and do your own measuring.

That rear sight height (.256) sounds like a "Glock number" (see my above post)
Minus .080" (depth of dovetail) off of .256" to get height above slide.

When you get your calipers (inexpensive BTW) measure away !
But do the work and bench your gun !

Nope. For carry it's the G48. For general competition/range duties I have my M&P's. 😀

My main EDC is my EMP
But my 48 is slowly winning me over.
I installed a JG combat trigger with all the upgrades and love it.

But you know me I'm a Trigger Tramp.
Like with my 1.5lb trigger on my M&P race gun.
LOL

20210314_100030.jpg 20210503_045855.jpg 20210415_165959.jpg

Oh boy, I do remember the weight of the trigger in your M&P race gun! I recall you telling me how light it was before squeezing off the 1st shot, but damn, it still took me by surprise! Lol

Last Edited:
If your goal is to be proficient then I would suggest putting more energy into to training than upgrades. Dry fire training will produce better results than live fire for most skill sets.
Use the high ammo prices to your advantage to put more effort into quality training.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top