JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sitting here in the car I just realized that I have a spare mag and no gun in my pocket!!!

Never thought I would forget my CC... It was that last min trip to the head that distracted me. That and the dang thing is black and blends in with everythingo_O.

Go ahead, I deserve to be shamed for this one:oops:.

Lesson learned hopefully?:rolleyes:

You'll find no judgement from me. I've wandered among the homeless at night under the bridges in New Orleans and the Lower Ninth Ward. I've eaten tacos in the barios of LA, roamed the highways and byways of many great cities and countryside across this great land unarmed. I'm pretty ok with Portland metro unarmed even NOPO.

For me personally, being armed shouldn't be a crutch. I don't want my fun to become my security blanket. I have places I go where I would endanger myself and those around me if I did carry because the slightest altercation becomes me defending my gun in what might otherwise be a shoving match or a couple of punches thrown.

FWIW-I am getting older however and do carry now more than ever. I avoid a lot of places I wouldn't have thought twice about going to in my younger days.

How can you know where you would or wouldn't go unarmed if you don't do it once in a while? Aren't you supposed to avoid being anywhere you wouldn't go with out a gun when you are carrying?

Well at least you won't use up all your ammo in a shoot out ... LOL

Did something similar once while hunting. When I got to where I wanted to , I get out of my jeep and discover I had forgotten my shooting bag.
So there I was opening day of small game season , I had loaded but not capped my muzzleloader at home and no extra powder , balls , patches etc ...
Took a cap out of the cap box on the stock and went hunting anyway .
At that moment I felt more like Barney Fife with his one bullet , than David Crockett . LOL
Andy

Hahaha lots of those were funny:D

I've been more places unarmed and overseas many places without even a knife on me (which I had last night) and feel pretty comfortable at night on my own.

Naked was spot on. Kind of like not having my cell phone.. Not the end of the world but it feels like I forgot my pants or something lol:p.

I just honestly felt I was more aware of where my CC was - normally in my pocket or near by, and this taught me that being used to carrying bit me back because it was some time before I even realized it wasn't on me.

And Andy, that hunting story would have me seriously bunmed to make a 90 min drive and only have one shot:confused:.

Joe13 I think if we all were honest there have been times when this has happened to a lot of us. H*11, I once packed an unloaded side arm around and didn't notice until I got home. I learned from that and it has not happened again. Oh, there was that one other time I went to the range only to discover no ammo. [shakes head]. Happy it went well for you despite a very human mistake. Welcome to the club. We learn and move on. A mentor from long ago once told me there are two types of shooters- those who have done this already and those who will. Cheers.

I've done it myself a couple of times. The problem I had was that I stored my gun separate of my holster (I don't pocket carry). In the morning, I would put on my holster, then forget to go get the gun. I asked in a thread here on NWFA about other folks with the same issue and their suggestion was to keep the gun in the holster, together. Since then, I've never walked out without the gun. With just the holster, I could feel it there, but may miss the missing weight of the gun - if I walk out without the holster, I definitely notice it's gone. The worst I've done now is get to the car and realize there is nothing on my hip.

Maybe try putting something awkward/heavy in your pocket the night before. Say a big bulky roll of duct tape (just one example) - something that will stand out when you put on your jacket, and you'll be reminded you need to take that out because it's awkward and uncomfortable, and replace it with the gun. Really anything that feels 'wrong' would probably work. Just a thought.

Last Edited:
Shoot, Ive done that. And its only when Im in an extreme hurry to get somewhere and dont have time to do my little edc check list.

I literally pat the areas of my body that are supposed to have something.
Wallet, watch, light, spare mag, pistol, knife, pen..etc.
Usually if in a hurry Ill let the light and pen slide because I carry extras in my junk bin in the truck.. But if I leave my holster in/on my pants and take out my pistol.. Sometimes it'll pass the pat test in a hurry..
It sucks forgetting your pistol at home.. I just feel off, more alert than usual.

You're not alone Joe13
Wondering why my ankle holster was riding up instead of down, I reached down to adjust it and was shocked to find my gun missing. Even though I quickly realized I never put it in as I drowsily dressed for work it was still disconcerting enough I returned home to fetch it.
Almost as bad for me was another time on the week end bringing my gun but, finding out I left my wallet with drivers license and CCW permit in my work pants at home. Another trip home!
These days, the last scenario may be more devastating than the first.

Got one on my record too! Fortunately we only went 5-6 blocks before I realized it! Still it shocked me out of any complacency I had! Been very careful since!:eek:

I normally carry a S&W Shield 9mm in a wallet holster but I also keep a Taurus TCP in a wallet holster in a hidden compartment in my car just in case something like this happens.

Forgot the EDC? Been there, done that a few times early on. I make it a habit to leave my keys in my jacket. Spare mag always goes in pocket with keys. When I go out the door, first thing I usually reach for are keys. Hey, my magazine. Oops, need pistol. Got pistol=check.
My method works for me to where I never leave home without it. I've since burned my needs into my noggin.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top