JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We all really need to read Massad Ayoob's treatise on in-fighting a knife-wielder. I recall that he offers the advice to open fire on a knife-user at around 20 feet. The reason for that is simple - that guy can cover the intervening distance in about two seconds, faster than most people can get a gun up, aim, and fire with any degree of success. He can open you up from crotch to chin, and then carry on doing it until he runs out of life.

He also advises the use of every round in your magazine...

Funnily enough, back when we were doing CQF in the Army, we were told to do exactly the same thing. In a room with clear space between you and the bad guys, drop the one with the knife before all the others.

tac

I recall that he offers the advice to open fire on a knife-user at around 20 feet. The reason for that is simple - that guy can cover the intervening distance in about two seconds, faster than most people can get a gun up, aim, and fire with any degree of success. He can open you up from crotch to chin, and then carry on doing it until he runs out of life.
tac
And hardly enough time to clear the background.

We all really need to read Massad Ayoob's treatise on in-fighting a knife-wielder. I recall that he offers the advice to open fire on a knife-user at around 20 feet. The reason for that is simple - that guy can cover the intervening distance in about two seconds, faster than most people can get a gun up, aim, and fire with any degree of success. He can open you up from crotch to chin, and then carry on doing it until he runs out of life.

He also advises the use of every round in your magazine...

Funnily enough, back when we were doing CQF in the Army, we were told to do exactly the same thing. In a room with clear space between you and the bad guys, drop the one with the knife before all the others.

tac

Yeah buddy, that's the sauce CQF/B... Mogadishu drill, two to the chest, one to the head... minimum.

Wreck the pump, switch off the computer/controller... dead before the next foot hits the ground towards you.

Wasn't that the Mosambique?

:eek:

BUBBLE-GUMMING HUBS (Head Up Butt Syndrome) :mad:

yes.... Mozambique drill, the Mogadishu mile is running full-on in battle-rattle for a mile under fire.

One should bubblegum-u-me an assailant is wearing some sort of body armor, which doesn't pad (much) against the kinetic energy of catching a hyper-vel slug.

I was Army PSD and we used MP-5's as "room brooms"... ahhh, the excesses of the 80's-90's! :D

yes.... Mozambique drill, the Mogadishu mile is running full-on in battle-rattle for a mile under fire.

One should bubblegum-u-me an assailant is wearing some sort of body armor, which doesn't pad (much) against the kinetic energy of catching a hyper-vel slug.

I was Army PSD and we used MP-5's as "room brooms"... ahhh, the excesses of the 80's-90's! :D
"Mogadishu drill" is on the internet as the same thing, but I think it stemed from the Black Hawk Down movie where someone was told "anything comes theough that door you put two in their chest, and one in their head."

No such thing as "collateral damage!" :D

Back to the topic , A man with a knife is extremely dangerous.
Even if he really doesn't know what he is doing , it is hard to "close in and destroy" him. ( to use an old Infantry phrase )
Or disarm him if you can't for some reason use lethal force.
The 20 foot danger zone mentioned in the above posts is good advice.
Andy

All of this discussion makes an assumption - you see your attacker coming, and they make their threat while still far off. Fact is, even experienced folks may not see it coming. Search YT, you can find many videos of knife attacks where there was little to no warning and the threat wasn't presented until it was too late to act.

Fact is, you have to be very aware, very vigilant, but even that may not be enough. And if they land that first hit before you can react, will you still be able to draw on them? If they hit you in the head or neck?

Here are a few videos I found in a quick search - each video shows a different type of attack, with no warning and at nearly zero distance:

In the next video - it starts as an attack by car, then the attacker gets out and attacks the man he just hit with a knife, then goes after a 2nd man before an armed citizen intervenes:

All of this discussion makes an assumption - you see your attacker coming, and they make their threat while still far off. Fact is, even experienced folks may not see it coming. Search YT, you can find many videos of knife attacks where there was little to no warning and the threat wasn't presented until it was too late to act.
Fact is, you have to be very aware, very vigilant, but even that may not be enough.
Good points.

I was always taught "charge a gun, flee a blade."

Also, there was a reason why the Marines in the Pacific learned to shoot anybody waving a sword first... a lesson written in the blood of heavy casualties in those early banzai-charges.

I have found in what little experience I have had , that it worked best to close in on my attacker to keep him from swinging or stabbing... It seemed counter intuitive , but it worked for me at those times.
( Not claiming to be Close Quarter Battle expert )
Just saying that it worked then.

Best advice was said above keep alert and do your best to avoid trouble in the first place.
Andy

Crazy man with a knife takes down multiple armed cops.
There's a lesson here, which is don't let a knife wielding person get within 30' of you.
These policeman make a bunch of tactical errors and they pay for them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top