JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need a recommendation for a flashlight for EDC and for work. I am looking for a high quality version of something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable-Focus-Light/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396146823&sr=8-1&keywords=flashlights amazon

I currently carry one of these and it fits my needs in every way except reliability. Is there a Surefire, Streamlight, Elzetta etc. equivalent of this? I need it small, and I need a really tight beam with a long throw (the cheapy one from amazon has a pretty long throw when the zoom is pulled out all the way). I would prefer a single AA battery, but I could get by with one that take CR123s

Streamlight Strion LED, either regular or HL version. Rechargeable, reliable, 3 brightness modes plus strobe. I carry one every day.

flashlights.png

I use Streamlight Stylus Pro. Runs on 2 AAA batteries. I carry one with me all the time clipped into my front pants pocket like many carry a knife. Does not have a focus feature and only one setting, but I've been very pleased with them. (have a few) I use one daily at work, too. I had the Streamlight ProTac, but lost it. It had high and low along with the strobe. Extremely bright in high, but burned thru batteries pretty quickly.
I also have a couple of Mini-Mags converted to LED. Work well and can be focused, but no where near the light output as the Streamlights.

I carry a Preon at all times, and I have bought them as gifts.
Mine has about 4 years in the pocket.

I primarily use the thing to look in to boxes, behind cabinets, or to go thru the house at night.

What sold me on these was 2 things:
1 - uses standard batteries (AAA)
2 - about the size of a pen, so easy to carry.

31a8R5ENcRL.jpg

Eagletac D25c with a xp-g2 emmiter is going to give a a nice tight throwy beam at almost 500lumen
On the left is the Eagletac D25c xpg2 emmiter and on the right is the D25a xml2 emitter
Both are running the same voltage and both are about the same output. The emmiter size/type makes a big difference.

163AA10E-97B9-4AA5-AC18-6DEE248EE45F.jpg 7A6D2458-D2A1-4DCB-A891-EA2F45D42712.jpg

Last Edited:
Mag Lite XL50 is my edc / has been my edc for years. Its a 1" diameter tube about 5" long. Takes 3 aaa batteries. Tail cap switch is simple on off (no momentary) but has 3 modes. One click = high beam. 2 quick clicks = low beam 3 quick clicks = strobe. I have been using the same batteries since last August and my lite gets used multiple times each day. I have dropped it dozens of times, submerged it in puddles / a creek, used it like a ball peen hammer a few times, and done some other unspeakable evils to this lite. The finish is worn but otherwise no problems functionally.

220 lumen light and its throw is great. For example last September on a camping trip my cousin and I went for a bit of a hike at midnight just to see what lurked in the dark. At one point I thought I saw an elk walking on the far bank of the river about 100 yards from us. My little xl50 lit up a good 40 foot wide spot and was plenty bright to see the critter dash up into the trees. Not as bright as my 2 D cell LED mag lite or the Streamlight TLR1 on my pistol but for a pocket light it was great.

Made in the USA

http://maglite.com/shop/maglite-xl200-led-3-cell-aaa-flashlight.html#.VkgvwMvTnqA

http://maglite.com/shop/maglite-xl50-led-3-cell-aaa-flashlight.html#.VkgwVsvTnqA

I just picked up a Streetlight Protac HL USB. I have the tailcap programmed to come on low-medium-high. Its one of the few lights I've seen do it and I like the microUSB port for charging. It throws a really nice wide beam and at up to 850 lumens it is bright!

I've had
I need a recommendation for a flashlight for EDC and for work. I am looking for a high quality version of something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable-Focus-Light/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396146823&sr=8-1&keywords=flashlights amazon

I currently carry one of these and it fits my needs in every way except reliability. Is there a Surefire, Streamlight, Elzetta etc. equivalent of this? I need it small, and I need a really tight beam with a long throw (the cheapy one from amazon has a pretty long throw when the zoom is pulled out all the way). I would prefer a single AA battery, but I could get by with one that take CR123s

This Ultrafire above I paid 3 bucks for and it's a steal in my opinion. Use it at work all the time and especially today when we lost power for several hours. I plan on getting a few more, vehicles/GHB redundancy, etc because they are cheap. I like the focusable feature. As a weapon light, not a best choice but it throws out a nice beam even aiming off into the dark woods. AAs but not included.
Better lights for sure out there and more specialization and for sure brighter but big bang for the buck. I too am looking for a proven upgrade.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads