JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I never gave it any thought until I was watching part of 'Rio Grande' with John Wayne the other day.

Well, during one scene where they were shooting it out with the Indians a couple of the cavalry guys were hunkered down in a building and one guy was loading a side gate rifle with the muzzle pointing at the azz of another guy and the rifle went off ! Well the guy spun around and looked surprised, said something I couldn't hear and pushed the muzzle away.

While just a blank of course the look on both guys faces did not appear 'acted' and I think they were both startled by it and it did not get edited out.

How about the famous ND car scene in "Pulp FIction" when Travolta's character "accidently" shoots the drug dealer in the back seat and splatters brain and blood all over the car, basically setting up the flick's whole sequence of events...

Though perhaps an AC rather than a NC since it was in fact a planned scene, would the death of Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow qualify?

Interesting thread. It makes me wonder, were blanks used in the earliest of movies? Since they used real trip lines for the horses, etc., it begs the question if some of those old black and whites used real ammunition?

Though perhaps an AC rather than a NC since it was in fact a planned scene, would the death of Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow qualify?

Interesting thread. It makes me wonder, were blanks used in the earliest of movies? Since they used real trip lines for the horses, etc., it begs the question if some of those old black and whites used real ammunition?
Michael Massee portrayed the character Funboy and was the actor who fired the shot that killed Lee. He was so traumatized that he returned to New York and took a year off from acting and never saw the film. In an interview in 2005, 12 years after the incident, Massee revealed that he still had nightmares about it, going on to say, "I don't think you ever get over something like that." Makes me wonder if the stomach cancer he died of was a result of the stress.

Since they used real trip lines for the horses, etc., it begs the question if some of those old black and whites used real ammunition?
I once read where in some of the very earliest movies live ammo was used but I can't imagine it lasted too long.

If I recall the Brandon Lee scenario had to do with a prop gun that was loaded with some sort of blank that had been modified from live ammo and a bullet had lodged in the barrel, but the brass still had enough powder to propel it. Seemed kind of far fetched at the time as I recall given this was in the 90's and one would think proper blanks would be used in a movie scene and verified as such.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top