JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"The range has offered both them complimentary firearms safety classes" Yay!
That's where they teach:
"Consider all guns are always loaded"
"NEVER point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy"

The looks on the faces are, I imagine, the same as every one else that does this sort of thing.

I can't quite make out those signs but I suspect they are the same as my range in the staging area. NO HANDLING of firearms here. The staging area is for you to get your ears in and such. They both got lucky it was only slightly painful, this time.

Seems weird to me that he's handling a gun at all in that location. What happened to uncase at the firing line pointed down range?
The rules do not apply to me, I am too stupid to read, I live in my own little world and seldom wake up............. Probably one of these.
Years ago one run in I had with one of these types was at a park. His two off leash pits came at my leashed dog. It did look like the one who got there first did just want to play but I was not going to wait to see if his 80# dog really just wanted to play with my 10# dog. So I "discouraged" his dog hard. This made him mad and he said the dog was just a pup and did not know better. To which I pointed at the large sign saying all dogs must be leashed saying I understand the dog can't read that sign, whats your excuse. He walked off mumbling something about me he did not really want me to hear.

He's loading the gun and isn't even near the firing line?!?!?

Damn, he's lucky. If that gun had been pointed a bit more to her left she wouldn't have been walking.

Don't get me started on the "accidentally discharged" comment...

Seems weird to me that he's handling a gun at all in that location. What happened to uncase at the firing line pointed down range?
And racking a slide with the muzzle pointing a couple of feet+ at your partner? Good lord.

I don't know? Maybe all gun purchases need written cards in big red letters, of the 4-basic rules of gun handling? Trying to think when I first heard/read that? I just jumped into gun handling for real in 2010, I think. May have been late 2009. I KNOW that the first time I saw/heard that those rules were to live by every time you pick up a gun. Virtually every accidental/neglectful shooting involve not following one, or more, of those four simple to remember rules.

And racking a slide with the muzzle pointing a couple of feet+ at your partner? Good lord.

I don't know? Maybe all gun purchases need written cards in big red letters, of the 4-basic rules of gun handling? Trying to think when I first heard/read that? I just jumped into gun handling for real in 2010, I think. May have been late 2009. I KNOW that the first time I saw/heard that those rules were to live by every time you pick up a gun. Virtually every accidental/neglectful shooting involve not following one, or more, of those four simple to remember rules.
I watched it a few more times. Such an awkward way to hold a gun. It doesn't look like the gun went off immediately after being racked, so…whatever he's doing, it ain't what we'd call "thinking."

I watched it a few more times. Such an awkward way to hold a gun. It doesn't look like the gun went off immediately after being racked, so…whatever he's doing, it ain't what we'd call "thinking."
When we carry here from the house. Guns are in the safe, have a loaded mag in the gun, but empty chambers. When we rack the little semi auto's to put one in the chamber it's a VERY deliberate action. Pointed in a safe direction. And you know how most of those compact carry guns take a little more effort to rack. Still can't get it straight in MY head how that guy could be dicking with that piece while having it pointed directly at the gal. o_O

Last Edited:
The ranges I go to your guns have to be unloaded. Magazines out, revolvers empty and guns need to be stored in carry cases. What a dip sh$t. So sad that the woman got shot. :(

I had to watch it a couple more times too. He got himself in the hand as well as the gal. He has his off hand at the front of the slide. I have to wonder if he was trying to field strip the pistol????

When we carry here from the house. Guns are in the safe, have a loaded mag in the gun, but empty chambers. When we rack the little semi auto's to put one in the chamber it's a VERY deliberate action. Pointed in a safe direction. And you know how most of those compact carry guns take a little more effort to rack. Still can get it straight in MY head how that guy could be dicking with that piece while having it pointed directly at the gal. o_O
While I understand typical racking…I tend to always practice reloading from empty, even when first at the range: pull slide back and lock back, insert mag, hit the slide lock/slingshot. My wife's Glock 43 was so incredibly stiff with a fully loaded mag that it was impossible to pull the slide over top of a fully loaded mag. Way easier to lock the slide back, insert mag, and drop.

I just mention it because of two things: it seems like the default behavior has become to insert mag and then rack and some guns and some people really struggle to rack. Especially new shooters.

If you're struggling, you start using big muscles and the tendency is to close the grip - trigger discipline can go out the window. So too can downrange discipline as the person moves the gun into a better position for their body to try to rack it.

If you reverse the teaching: rack and lock the slide, then insert mag…you're doing the harder work of racking with an empty gun. Less chance of AD's. Then insert mag and drop the slide while aiming downrange.

If I'm working with someone who is really, really struggling with the dexterity of locking the slide back, then leave an empty mag in the gun. Just yank the slide and let last round hold open function do the work. Drop empty mag, insert fresh one, drop slide, and go. Bonus: get the newby to start practicing more functions that they'll need to know anyway.

He's loading the gun and isn't even near the firing line?!?!?

I was also thinking about THAT.

++++++++++++

But, maybe.......
The range, maybe has that particular place, set up to be a "LOADING/UNLOADING SAFETY TABLE"?

Nah. Looking closer and since it's a shooting range (probably open to most everyone/anyone with all levels of proficiency).......I don't think so.

So then.....IMHO......
I can see a bit of a problem with the entire concept/idea of the LOADING/UNLOADING SAFETY TABLE in/under those sort of circumstances.

But that being said......
I have seen it successfully done at SASS Matches.

LOL.......yeah. Anyway, semi-auto firearms are NOT usually observed at a monthly SASS Match. Maybe that is a big part of the reason, for a "better" safety record?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Finger on the trigger as he racked a round..
WOW.
And he was muzzle sweeping her that entire time..

Its cool the range is offering them a free safety course, I know it seems like insult to injury.. but this could have killed someone.. they truly need it. Him mostly.

While I understand typical racking…I tend to always practice reloading from empty, even when first at the range: pull slide back and lock back, insert mag, hit the slide lock/slingshot. My wife's Glock 43 was so incredibly stiff with a fully loaded mag that it was impossible to pull the slide over top of a fully loaded mag. Way easier to lock the slide back, insert mag, and drop.

I just mention it because of two things: it seems like the default behavior has become to insert mag and then rack and some guns and some people really struggle to rack. Especially new shooters.

If you're struggling, you start using big muscles and the tendency is to close the grip - trigger discipline can go out the window. So too can downrange discipline as the person moves the gun into a better position for their body to try to rack it.

If you reverse the teaching: rack and lock the slide, then insert mag…you're doing the harder work of racking with an empty gun. Less chance of AD's. Then insert mag and drop the slide while aiming downrange.

If I'm working with someone who is really, really struggling with the dexterity of locking the slide back, then leave an empty mag in the gun. Just yank the slide and let last round hold open function do the work. Drop empty mag, insert fresh one, drop slide, and go. Bonus: get the newby to start practicing more functions that they'll need to know anyway.
Very good points. If I were at a range, I gave up my membership to Johnson Creek Gun Club due to high price, every other lane closed and a max of 30 minutes W/reservation(!), guns are not out of their case until on the range, always pointed down range, and action open. So yeah, not racking a round into the chamber but dropping a slide to chamber a round. When I think about it, at any range, I'll always have the gun sitting on the bench open action. That's the habit. The only time I wouldn't do it that way would be taking the gun from the safe, full mag inserted and chamber a round, safety on, and go on my way.
I'll discuss that with Wifey. She carries more than I do. She should drop the mag on her Sig938, pull the hammer back, lock slide back, insert mag...etc.

Very good points. If I were at a range, I gave up my membership to Johnson Creek Gun Club due to high price, every other lane closed and a max of 30 minutes W/reservation(!), guns are not out of their case until on the range, always pointed down range, and action open. So yeah, not racking a round into the chamber but dropping a slide to chamber a round. When I think about it, at any range, I'll always have the gun sitting on the bench open action. That's the habit. The only time I wouldn't do it that way would be taking the gun from the safe, full mag inserted and chamber a round, safety on, and go on my way.
I'll discuss that with Wifey. She carries more than I do. She should drop the mag on her Sig938, pull the hammer back, lock slide back, insert mag...etc.
Holy crap, 30min max with reservation!? That's damn near robbery.

I've only ever shot a very broken in range rental 938 - are they hard to rack? My copy was damn near sloppy when I got hold of it.

I used to own a p238HD - that was a hoot to shoot, super easy to rack as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top