JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is exactly what the anti-gunners want to see, irresponsible gun owners hurting themselves or other people by accident.

I don't have anything special to share, just a story of what happened recently.

God, I facepalmed so hard, I think I recessed my nose... I don't know how many times I said, "DUDE I TOLD YOU TO WATCH YOUR bubblegumING FINGER AND DON'T bubblegum WITH THE TRIGGER UNLESS IT IS CLEAR!" But I didn't want to rub in the fact that he could have killed someone or himself too hard since the man was already down.

My buddy said he trained with rifles in the military, so I assumed he at least knew about gun safety. He found out I was a gun maniac, so he asked what I normally carried. The man ended up buying a MP SHIELD and was really proud of it, bought all these accessories and stuff for it the first week. He was short on funds so I gave him a box of hollow points, he didn't know what hollow points were, which worried me a bit, so I explained the difference between FMJ and HP. Then I was like, "so you know how to use that thing safely right? Watch your finger, check to make sure it is clear, and blah blah blah?" And he said yes, so I felt pretty good about it.

Fast forward to this week, and he shot his TV while playing with that new pistol... drunk. Was cycling rounds through the gun and forgot one was still in the chamber. The classic rack then release mag... Good news is, he was going to buy FMJs but ended up using my hollow points, and they did their job. It went through the TV and stopped in the walls of his apartment. But man, he was so close to killing someone on the other side of that wall. I feel like crawling into a hole just thinking about it, shooting an attacker is different, but to kill an innocent person who did nothing wrong. That hits hard.

PLEASE please please, for the new gun owners. If you haven't developed good habits or a paranoid fear and respect for the power in your hands, don't play with a loaded gun. Or at least, double, triple check your gun before you play with it. I mean, I do all the time too that bubblegum is fun! But the moment you set it down and come back to it, let your paranoia run free and check it again.

I don't know what to do for my friend, I keep repeating myself over and over but I don't know if it sinked in or not. I am just hoping this will scare him straight! And thank the Lord no one got hurt. This story could have had many different outcomes and they all would have been very bad.

Last Edited:
I'm not debating your points, but paranoia is a product of fear. Training alleviates fear and turns it into confidence. So I would amend the point made to say, always be confident in your firearm handling. Never take it for granted and don't forget to double check yourself.

If you do not have absolute confidence in your handling practices, seek out more training/practice. Fear can lead to irrational actions and can often be a contributing factor in accidents.

Last Edited:
tumblr_mkqdy1n5k71qdsmdzo1_500.jpg IMG_4913-367x313.jpg

I'm a big fan of The King myself.

I'm not debating your points, but paranoia is a product of fear. Training alleviates fear and turns it into confidence. So I would amend the point made to say, always be confident in your firearm handling. Never take it for granted and don't forget to double check yourself.

If you do not have absolute confidence in your handling practices, seek out more training/practice. Fear can lead to irrational actions and can often be a contributing factor in accidents.
Wrong, (healthy) paranoia is merely a heightened state of awareness.

:s0131:

OP, if your buddy couldn't afford a box of rounds, it'll probably be a year or more before he can afford a replacement TV… no more FPS's on Xbox or PlayStation for HIM!

;)

Playing with your gun can be fun...playing with your gun while drunk....
Can lead to unexpected consequences.
( Worded that way on purpose... :D )

In any event....
Safe firearm handling is a good way to familiarize yourself with a firearm.
The story in the OP is not a good example of this.
Andy

Maybe your friend that makes bad decisions learned something from this.
Trouble is that if he didn't, his next bad decision may kill or maim someone.
Unfriending should be on the table here.

Maybe your friend that makes bad decisions learned something from this.
Trouble is that if he didn't, his next bad decision may kill or maim someone.
Unfriending should be on the table here.
I agree, I am definitely not going out shooting with that guy!!!

But I was wondering if you guys knew, what would happen if it went all the way through into a neighbors place. Didn't hit anyone but just caused damage, and they called the cops. What kind of repercussions would you face?

I agree, I am definitely not going out shooting with that guy!!!

But I was wondering if you guys knew, what would happen if it went all the way through into a neighbors place. Didn't hit anyone but just caused damage, and they called the cops. What kind of repercussions would you face?
Just a guess, but he'd probably get red-flagged, firearm seized and then have to go through that process.

More like his neighbors were lucky….
Yes! I feel for the neighbors the most, he said it was a family on the other side with kids. My bud was pretty shaken up, but still.

Its not something you can just say oops my bad, then pretend like nothing happened.

i regret giving that box of ammo and wish I never did

Seems to me he might want to 'learn' something about his drinking habits - such as are they excessive to the point it might have been the contributing factor in this ND?

I have heard of more than a few NDs with alcohol being a material part of them.
I was being generous.
This is not Eagle Scout material here.

I dont drink anymore, but one line I never crossed was handling firearms while drinking. Id go as far as not carrying in bars or to locations where I knew Id be drinking just to avoid any possible situation. It served me well. I realize I most likely never would have had an issue.. but its a situation I dont want to be in.

Im glad everyone is ok, and Im glad you shamed him.. you're right someone including himself could have died.I have a few leo as well as military family/ buddies.. average people would be shocked to learn MANY of those types have only the most low standard, basic training and are not the weapons experts the media makes them out to be.

Id get him a box of those red snap caps if he is wanting to manipulate the firearm and get some trigger practice and mag change time in. Live rounds should obviously stay in their box or the separate mag away from the gun until he is carrying or storing the firearm while practicing.

Last Edited:
I'm no attorney, but it's not hard to research and find out possible Washington State legal implications of the OP's buddy's ND.

This is not a complete analysis - on the contrary, these are probably the most obvious of possible charges that could be leveled against the offender. A prosecutor would have many more options in their portfolio to throw against the offender.

RCW 9.41.230 - "Aiming or discharging firearms and dangerous weapons": this is applicable if no injury resulted. This is a gross misdemeanor.

RCW 9A.36.050 - "Reckless endangerment": gross misdemeanor.

RCW 9A.36.031 (2)(d) - "Third degree assault" (if bodily harm - obviously not resulting in death): 3rd degree assault does not require "intent" as does 1st and 2nd degree assault; class C felony.

Given Alec Baldwin's current problems, I'm sure WA prosecutors would be quite energetic about pursuing charges against the OP's buddy.

Just my opinion. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Cheers.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews