JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a saiga rifle for $100 that was cut in half.. I was concerned as it was such a low price and had the serial number ran then got to chit chatting with the sheriff about rebuilding it.. Can I say wow...

His & My main concern here is the serial number law we have here in Washington?

The sheriff I talked to said since there would be no original manufacture serial number or markings on the receiver and it was purchased commercially at one point it may be precived by the state as Alteration of identifying marks?

Here are the laws he sited could not find the 3rd I must have transposed it when writing it down

RCW 9.41.140
Alteration of identifying marks — Exceptions.

No person may change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification on any firearm. Possession of any firearm upon which any such mark shall have been changed, altered, removed, or obliterated, shall be prima facie evidence that the possessor has changed, altered, removed, or obliterated the same. This section shall not apply to replacement barrels in old firearms, which barrels are produced by current manufacturers and therefor do not have the markings on the barrels of the original manufacturers who are no longer in business. This section also shall not apply if the changes do not make the firearm illegal for the person to possess under state or federal law.

RCW 9A.56.180
Obscuring the identity of a machine.

(1) A person is guilty of obscuring the identity of a machine if he knowingly:

(a) Obscures the manufacturer's serial number or any other distinguishing identification number or mark upon any vehicle, machine, engine, apparatus, appliance, or other device with intent to render it unidentifiable; or

(b) Possesses a vehicle, machine, engine, apparatus, appliance, or other device held for sale knowing that the serial number or other identification number or mark has been obscured.

(2) "Obscure" means to remove, deface, cover, alter, destroy, or otherwise render unidentifiable.

(3) Obscuring the identity of a machine is a gross misdemeanor.

I think this rifle will sit in the closet for a while as I have moved on to other builds...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top