JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All the ffls I asked and frequent have been switched over to new system. It sounds like it was not much of a choice as messy switchover at the deadline was the alternative. The new system no longer involves nics and is solely dependent on the WSP. Even though the 10 day wait doesn't apply until next year, all the gun stores I talked to said it has been taking WSP 2 hrs to 10 days and in some cases longer. I bought two long guns this month within 3 days of each other. One took 2hrs for a proceed and the other nine days. Go figure?

Last Edited:
I got a next day transfer on a pistol a couple weeks ago. A guy I sold a pistol to, got a same day approval.

And then I bought a bolt action rifle 3 days ago, and still waiting on the call.
There is no rhyme or reason with the timeframes.

I'm buying a couple things on my wish list this month, to get in before Jan 1st, and the new extra $18 fee and 2 week wait.

All the ffls I asked and frequent have been switched over to new system. It sounds like it was not much of a choice as messy switchover at the deadline was the alternative. The new system no longer involves nics and is solely dependent on the WSP. Even though the 10 day wait doesn't apply until next year, all the gun stores I talked to said it has been taking WSP 2 hrs to 10 days and in some cases longer. I bought two long guns this month within 3 days of each other. One took 2hrs for a proceed and the other nine days. Go figure?
Over all I was quite shocked the new system seemed to go as smoothly as it has, at least so far. Have bought 2 guns in the last month that both went through the new system. Both only took hours BUT, I have warned people that there is always going to be those unlucky ones who get stuck so don't count on it. This is still yet another gov agency here. Staffed by people who can't be fired and we all know where that leads. Last couple times I bought a gun I just figured it would pass when it passed and counted myself lucky when they went through so fast. The thing to do is of course not be in a spot where you have no protection and are waiting for the OK. People who are just now deciding its time to have a gun? I do feel bad if they get held up. Best for them to buy another first thing so they have a spare :D

I bought a new handgun this morning and 3 hours later I got a call to come pick it up , The new system seems to be much better but after January 1st new law is ALL firearms will have a 10 day wait

Some counties like mine ( Skagit ) have already started the 10 day waiting period for any firearm purchase.
Skagit Co. apparently started earlier than some. About a month ago, I went to pick up a shotgun that was sent to me from out of state. My receiving dealer informed me that as of that day, the new BGC system was in effect in Snohomish Co. I had to wait and couldn't take the gun with me, but they called the next day and said it had cleared.

I guess the mandatory 10 day wait starts 1-1-24, as stated above. Changes to the laws passed in the 2023 legislative session are coming into effect on a phased basis; it's hard to keep up.

Just the other day, I was reading the proposed agenda for the 2024 session. They clobbered us so badly in 2023, that so far they haven't come up with any new anti-gun proposals that I could see.

Whatever it takes to make it harder for the law abiding citizen to protect himself. :s0154:

1701396644604.png

Aloha, Mark

I bought a new handgun this morning and 3 hours later I got a call to come pick it up , The new system seems to be much better but after January 1st new law is ALL firearms will have a 10 day wait
The one upside to that is at least then the gun "should" be free on the day they claim. That its up in the air right now causes a lot of frustration. Again though a LOT of gun owners brought this on themselves. So maybe some of them will get mad enough to stop sitting out. :(

Turns out new system still does involve the nics system. After the WSP checks your state compiled mental health and criminal (including juvenile) records, they then check you out through the nics system. For this you get to pay $8 more for the full treatment not to mention the mandatory waiting period. 🥴

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews