JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As I read the statutes, the CHL applies only and specifically to handguns, which are defined here as "any pistol or revolver using a fixed cartridge containing a propellant charge, primer and projectile, and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder".
I would think it would be, "Loaded AR magazines with a CHL are legal in Portland/Multnomah Co. as long as they're concealed on your person", no?

I may be wrong on this one, but I don't think mere possession of a CHL gets you a free pass to ignore the whole of the "no loaded mags in public" laws, have your loaded gun and mags lying on the passenger seat, etc.
Read ORS 166.173 and then let me know what you think.

Hint: At no place is a handgun mentioned.

Read ORS 166.173 and then let me know what you think.

Hint: At no place is a handgun mentioned.
I'm not sure I understand what you're implying. That's the state statute that enables cities/counties to have "no loaded firearms" ordinances, section (2)(c) of which says that such ordinances don't apply to a "person licensed to carry a concealed handgun".

If the implication is something along the lines of, "a literal reading of that statute means that mere acquisition of a CHL enables you to completely ignore every part of such ordinances with legal impunity", then you're veering dangerously close to "sovereign citizen" territory there, I think. ;)

If this ended up in an appeals court, legislative intent would be a factor and while I could be wrong, I'm willing to bet that the purpose of having "person licensed to carry a concealed handgun" as an exception was so that loaded firearm laws wouldn't infringe on the right of CHL holders to carry.

Even the term loaded leaves questions.
A pump shotgun. Not visible or readily available to the driver with rounds in the tube and safety on but no round in the chamber is at least two steps from ready to fire. So is it loaded...:s0149:

Mult. Co actually passed an ordinance prohibiting even carrying around ALL loaded magazines of any kind.

An Oregon CHL exempts you from all local "restrictive" ordinances (except jails and courthouses) due to state preemption laws.

I believe it is ONLY the city of Portland, not Multnomah county for the loaded hand gun prohibition. For open carry.

Last Edited:
If the implication is something along the lines of, "a literal reading of that statute means that mere acquisition of a CHL enables you to completely ignore every part of such ordinances with legal impunity", then you're veering dangerously close to "sovereign citizen" territory there, I think.
I disagree, it's a very plainspoken bit of law that excludes many different circumstances from any local ordinances, with CHL holders included. People HAVE been arrested for open carry in Portland, but all the cases I'm aware of didn't end up sticking. The specific case of have ONLY magazines has not been tested to my knowledge.

ORS 166.170 says locales cannot make firearms laws, with the exception granted in 166.173, which has exclusions.

Fun fact: In Oregon it's also legal for a CHL holder to carry a firearm onto public school grounds.

Last Edited:
Hi all, just looking for some more experienced voices here.
I live and work mostly in Mutnomah county, I have a CHL.
What permissions does that grant me, truck gun-wise?
If I understand correctly, I can carry concealed and loaded an AR pistol, but what about carbines or long rifles? I've googled and read a bunch, and would love to hear from people who know well, not just my own best guess/interpretation.

Thanks!
go to https://web.multco.us/sites/default/files/home/documents/multnomahcountyfirearmsordinancefaq.pdf there's your answer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top