JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, just looking for some more experienced voices here.
I live and work mostly in Mutnomah county, I have a CHL.
What permissions does that grant me, truck gun-wise?
If I understand correctly, I can carry concealed and loaded an AR pistol, but what about carbines or long rifles? I've googled and read a bunch, and would love to hear from people who know well, not just my own best guess/interpretation.

Thanks!

Hi all, just looking for some more experienced voices here.
I live and work mostly in Mutnomah county, I have a CHL.
What permissions does that grant me, truck gun-wise?
If I understand correctly, I can carry concealed and loaded an AR pistol, but what about carbines or long rifles? I've googled and read a bunch, and would love to hear from people who know well, not just my own best guess/interpretation.

Thanks!
Handguns/pistols only get you around the in-cab/loaded thing with a CHL.
Rifles/long guns/ammo still need to be carried in the lawfully prescribed way.

AFAIK, theres no loaded rifle in vehicle law in oregon though municipalities can make their own laws. i suggest readin up ORS 166 and also the codes for the area youre talkin about. having a CHL vs not, makes a difference.

ORS 166.173 2(c)

Yes, open carry is actually legal state-wide, but state law allows local jurisdictions to regulate/restrict LOADED OPEN CARRY. Oregon CHL holders are listed (among LEO, Military etc) as exempt from local jurisdictional regulations/restrictions (except for jails and courthouses).

But does the CHL apply to long guns with regards to this exemption?

I would assume it only applies to handguns?

This has always boggled my mind....ummm I got a CHL for just the opposite reason...lol
The purpose seems to me to prevent anti-gun localities from making carry illegal for a CHL by some sly legal language. The simple language of the preemption clause whacks all those machinations in the head from the get-go.

Loaded AR magazines with a chl ARE legal as long as you have an AR pistol in your vehicle. But without an AR pistol, loaded AR mags in Multnomah Co (not just Portland) are not legal. That has been my understanding when I travel to Vancouver.

Loaded AR magazines with a chl ARE legal as long as you have an AR pistol in your vehicle. But without an AR pistol, loaded AR mags in Multnomah Co (not just Portland) are not legal. That has been my understanding when I travel to Vancouver.
Citation needed. Every reputable seeming source and the plain language of the applicable laws seems to say otherwise.

But does the CHL apply to long guns with regards to this exemption?
As I read the statutes, the CHL applies only and specifically to handguns, which are defined here as "any pistol or revolver using a fixed cartridge containing a propellant charge, primer and projectile, and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder".

Loaded AR magazines with a chl ARE legal as long as you have an AR pistol in your vehicle. But without an AR pistol, loaded AR mags in Multnomah Co (not just Portland) are not legal.
I would think it would be, "Loaded AR magazines with a CHL are legal in Portland/Multnomah Co. as long as they're concealed on your person", no?

I may be wrong on this one, but I don't think mere possession of a CHL gets you a free pass to ignore the whole of the "no loaded mags in public" laws, have your loaded gun and mags lying on the passenger seat, etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top