JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not enough facts to render a verdict. From what is given, he could have been suicidal and suicidal = homicidal. Might not have been, but what does a CPL have to do with magazines? With a rifle in a vehicle? The article, written by a journalism major, fails to communicate.

In the state of Alaska, it is illegal to handle alcohol and firearms at the same time, also to be in possession of both. Last time I checked, WA is not seceded to AK. :p ;):D

In the state of Alaska, it is illegal to handle alcohol and firearms at the same time, also to be in possession of both. Last time I checked, WA is not seceded to AK. :p ;):D
In Washington State with a CPL you cannot go into a bar. If the have a restaurant then you can eat there but bar is off limits it you are carrying unless you are employed there.

In times past, the rifle and ammo would have been taken for safekeeping and returned when he was sober. However, there may have been more serious issues and the arrest was the only workable solution. LE is a series of problem solving issues and depending on the resourcefulness of the OIC, things can be handled creatively or simply by imposing the force of law.

As always, time will tell on this one.

In Washington State with a CPL you cannot go into a bar. If the have a restaurant then you can eat there but bar is off limits it you are carrying unless you are employed there.
Unless something has changed you also can't be intoxicated while you use your CPL to carry here.
Again though IF, and that's a big IF, any part of this article is real, his CPL was expired so really means nothing. If he was carrying a loaded long gun in his vehicle a WA CPL does not allow this, so again would not matter if his CPL was valid.
If he was intoxicated when he drove onto the Ferry then the State could charge him with being in control of a motor vehicle while intoxicated. On this charge, unless something has changed, they have to arrest.
So again if this is what happened the real problem here is his choice to drive and carry while drunk. If this is what happened he did this to himself.

Transporting a loaded firearm in a vehicle is a crime unless you have a Concealed Carry License and DUII is a crime. If you are arrested for DUII and the car is going to be towed (can't be left on the ferry) then you have to conduct an inventory of the vehicle. This would lead to the discovery of the loaded firearm. I think this is very simple..it boils down to someone making bad decisions (drinking and driving) and carrying a loaded firearm.

At one time I was told that a weapon was considered, "loaded" if a loaded magazine was in close proximity, (Fish & Game), but I checked those regs and I can't find a reference anywhere.

"A rifle or shotgun containing shells or cartridges in either the chamber or magazine"
The key words is "containing". The magazines can have ammunition loaded in them, they cannot be inserted in the rifle while in a vehicle.

RCW used to be worded in such a way that one could interpret it to mean that a rifle with a loaded magazine touching it (or right next to it? I forget) could be considered loaded. The wording was changed several years ago to be less ambiguous.

Just to make things clear I looked in the RCWs and they very clearly state that the long arm is not loaded unless a loaded clip or loaded magazine is inserted into the rifle/shotgun. I read the article as he had a rifle, not reported as loaded except in the headline which is usually made up. The magazines in pockets are irrelevant and the CPL expired or not is irrelevant as it has no bearing on long arms. He was reported possibly intoxicated but no breath test was reported. Up where I live WSP will give you a breath test in a heartbeat if they think they can score It looks like WSP just wanted to move him along and used what they know is a phony charge to make it happen. He may have had a bad night but doesn't look like any crime was committed. Probably sitting home wondering what the hell just happened.

Story gets more "interesting". Bellow is an update although from the same joke of a news source. Assuming they are at least close to the truth the guy sounds like he may have been some kind of kook.

"They notified the captain and other crew and followed him into the restroom and observed him to have an AR style weapon under a coat he was wearing," said Trooper Kevin Fortino who is a public information officer for Washington State Patrol's Homeland Security Division.

Washington State Ferries said the 39-year-old man has been asked by law enforcement to leave the vessel before for refusing to wear a mask on multiple other occasions.

"When they saw this person on board acting strange, in their words, they kept a close eye on him and apparently he was trying to elude the crew," said Ian Sterling who is a spokesperson for Washington State Ferries.

The Washington State Patrol said the man made no direct threat but his intentions remain unclear.

"Upon our further investigation it revealed that he did not have a permit to conceal that firearm and he was intoxicated as well," said Fortino.

Just to make things clear I looked in the RCWs and they very clearly state that the long arm is not loaded unless a loaded clip or loaded magazine is inserted into the rifle/shotgun. I read the article as he had a rifle, not reported as loaded except in the headline which is usually made up. The magazines in pockets are irrelevant and the CPL expired or not is irrelevant as it has no bearing on long arms. He was reported possibly intoxicated but no breath test was reported. Up where I live WSP will give you a breath test in a heartbeat if they think they can score It looks like WSP just wanted to move him along and used what they know is a phony charge to make it happen. He may have had a bad night but doesn't look like any crime was committed. Probably sitting home wondering what the hell just happened.
And wondering where his guns are and why he can't own firearms for the rest of his life.

Who knows

1) "This is why the nazis did meth."
Meth keeps you from passing out drunk.

2) "Yeah, there has to be more to it." There usually is...
"I am thinking there is, and the reporting just sucked."
Any time the subject is guns it usually does...

3) "The article, written by a journalism major, fails to communicate."
The object of agitprop is to confuse, not to communicate.

4) "Freakin lawyers..."
"And lawmakers."
Shyster: (n) An unscrupulous lawyer or politician.

Last Edited:
I am thinking that he actually had an AR pistol.

If WA state has had the same problems with renewing concealed carry permits, it will be interesting to see if his "expired" permit is truly expired under those circumstances.

Either way, as details come out, it appears that this person may have been up to no good.

Finally, after more facts come out, it looks like, "An ounce of prevention may have been worth a pound of cure." :s0155:
Yep another news source here had the same story with the same basic. That he apparently walked on as a passenger and was trying to hide the weapon in a coat. That one mentioned he smelled of alcohol too and that he has been a "problem" for the mask wearing, so he was trying to get attention. Well he got it, hope it was worth it to him. :s0092:

Sure wish the government would arrest drunks for exercising any of their rights, especially their 1st amendment. Maybe we would be a lot safer and I could fly my Unicorned-Pegasus without fear of being laughed at and ridiculed for it pooping skittles all over the gilded streets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top