JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think this guy just said goodbye to any future concealed-pistol license (called a CPL in Washington State)...

"The man will be booked into the Snohomish County Jail."

FOR WHAT !!! A lot of information missing here. :s0153:
Arrested because his CCP was expired. WTF?? CCP has nothing to do with rifles.
Was the rifle in his vehicle?
Was he carrying the rifle in a case?
Were the magazines loaded?

Sounds like some Karen got their panties in a wad over the sight of those, "Bullet holding thingies" , "He had in his pocket" and had him, "Swatted". :s0001:

Sounds like some Karen got their panties in a wad over the sight of those, "Bullet holding thingies" , "He had in his pocket" and had him, "Swatted". :s0001:
Yeah, there has to be more to it. I am thinking there is, and the reporting just sucked.

Well first off the "news source" here is maybe one click above those papers you used to see at the checkout stands for how much you should believe them.
Claims guy was drunk, which if true says a lot.
Now as for his expired CPL even if it was not we can not carry a loaded long gun here in our vehicles.
Again I have to wonder when the Troopers contacted him if he let his mouth get himself in trouble? If he was drunk much more chance of this.
The entire thing though coming from this news source is all but worthless. Many years ago their site used to let people set up an account and post comments on their stories. They got called out on misinformation and out right lies so much they cut off comments as it was becoming embarrassing for them.

Maybe he should have used a little more due care and caution. Maybe he should have had the rifle in a gun case? Maybe he should have done many things. It is easy to second guess. You can carry a firearm, but if you cause public alarm while doing so, it is on you. The Troopers were almost forced to take action. I am curious what he was booked into jail for though? Probably public intoxication. Remember in this liberal state that everybody freaks out when this kind of stuff happens, a bunch of snowflakes. Paul Harvey would have said "now for the rest of the story." Stupid is, is stupid does.

IF HE WAS DRUNK, HE GOT WHAT HE HAD COMING TO HIM. GUNS AND ALCOHOL DO NOT MIX.

At one time I was told that a weapon was considered, "loaded" if a loaded magazine was in close proximity, (Fish & Game), but I checked those regs and I can't find a reference anywhere.

At one time I was told that a weapon was considered, "loaded" if a loaded magazine was in close proximity, (Fish & Game), but I checked those regs and I can't find a reference anywhere.
Far as I know no place in WA has done that yet, the loaded mag thing. Last I heard the big county in Potland does have a law about that. Given what "may have" happened here who the hell knows. An amazing amount of the time the person in trouble used their own mouth to get in trouble. If it went something like, you have loaded mags in your pocket, do you have a weapon in the car? No. Can we search your car? No. Now of course if he was drunk? Well again he did this too himself. It would be interesting to know what really happened here for sure.

Found this...

Loaded Firearms in a Vehicle

It is illegal to carry, convey, transport, possess, or control a loaded shotgun or rifle in any motor vehicle (except for disabled hunters in compliance with WAC 220-200-170. Hunters with disabilities please reference Persons with Disabilities). A rifle or shotgun containing shells or cartridges in either the chamber or magazine, or a muzzleloading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed is considered loaded. It is illegal to use an off-road vehicle to pursue, harass, concentrate, or kill wildlife.

This is really reaching, but....
Is a Washington State Ferry considered a motor vehicle?

Last Edited:
I think this guy just said goodbye to any future concealed-pistol license (called a CPL in Washington State)...

The guy should be released as soon as he is considered sober enough as from the information provided he did not commit a crime. Rifle wasn't loaded and an expired CPL only matters if he was concealing a loaded handgun. The WSP used a phony charge to take him in and none of this will affect his permit renewal.

"A rifle or shotgun containing shells or cartridges in either the chamber or magazine"
The key words is "containing". The magazines can have ammunition loaded in them, they cannot be inserted in the rifle while in a vehicle.
I think the, "Desputable Gotcha" here is they don't differentiate between an internal magazine and a detachable magazine. :(

Huh?

The article stated: "he was arrested because his concealed weapon permit was expired".

Can someone clarify WA law here?

Seems like he was arrested for public intoxication and/or DUI. The fact that he also possessed firearms, ammo was inconsequential, unless he had a loaded rifle in his vehicle. <--- Meaning one in the chamber, or at least one in an attached magazine.

The article merely states that he was "carrying a rifle". Was he open-carrying the rifle on the ferry? Is it illegal to open-carry a loaded rifle in WA?

The only thing I can find about it is this (RCW 9.41.270)

Was his being intoxicated "warranting alarm for the safety of other persons."

Found this...

Loaded Firearms in a Vehicle

It is illegal to carry, convey, transport, possess, or control a loaded shotgun or rifle in any motor vehicle (except for disabled hunters in compliance with WAC 220-200-170. Hunters with disabilities please reference Persons with Disabilities). A rifle or shotgun containing shells or cartridges in either the chamber or magazine, or a muzzleloading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed is considered loaded. It is illegal to use an off-road vehicle to pursue, harass, concentrate, or kill wildlife.

This is really reaching, but....
Is a Washington State Ferry considered a motor vehicle?
No, assuming anything in this article happened, it was the loaded rifle in his vehicle that did it. Again though if the gun was concealed chances are real good he told them about it or gave them permission to search for it. Again though KOMO 4 is NOT a reliable place to find news. The only part of the story that I suspect was accurate was that he was drunk.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top