JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I eat Mountain House when climbing/hiking but it's too expensive (for me) to base much of my food prep on it. I do have one bucket I bought off Amazon in storage. Does sodium kill you or preserve you...?
Some say you do need extra salt when hiking and sweating a lot ,some say MH has exsesive salt.
A friend here that is a long time hiker says MH has too much garbage in it. She just put her own stuff together.
I'll glean off what I can from her;)

So I decided to get some freeze dried meals to leave in the truck so they're in there when I decide to leave town at any given time. I have a few canned thing in here but want to try the FD selection out. Been a few years.
The ones in town here are in the $9 range,8 something to 9 and change.
Is that an OK price or can they be found way cheaper?
And I suppose we could cover which meals suck bad too;)
Thanks
Mike
20% off at Cabela's from now through July 5 (2017). Pg 4 of the ad. The discount should put them down in the mid-high $6 range

We shop online at "the ready store". Frequent deals, once u get on there email list. Free shipping. Decent in house tips/reviews etc.

Mountain House, Saratoga Farms, various other brands. Pretty much everything for long term stores.

Have to "join" like a club to get the decent deals, but the free shipping makes up for it pretty easily.

Trick for us anyways is to try small portions out first from wherever, then buy bulk if we like.

They had the best price at one sale on red feather canned butter & bega canned cheese we had seen. ?$3 if I recall correctly.

Forget what we paid for pilot bread crackers with that butter/cheese order, but saved a bunch with them as well.

Haven't had any damaged shipments, but have read others have. I think that they may have changed there shipping company since folks had shipping issues. Dunno for sure on that though, just that we haven't had probs.

We shop online at "the ready store". Frequent deals, once u get on there email list. Free shipping. Decent in house tips/reviews etc.

Mountain House, Saratoga Farms, various other brands. Pretty much everything for long term stores.

Have to "join" like a club to get the decent deals, but the free shipping makes up for it pretty easily.

Trick for us anyways is to try small portions out first from wherever, then buy bulk if we like.

They had the best price at one sale on red feather canned butter & bega canned cheese we had seen. ?$3 if I recall correctly.

Forget what we paid for pilot bread crackers with that butter/cheese order, but saved a bunch with them as well.

Haven't had any damaged shipments, but have read others have. I think that they may have changed there shipping company since folks had shipping issues. Dunno for sure on that though, just that we haven't had probs.
So I see the Easy Prep brand all over the place. Figure that must be a house brand. Have you tried it, like it? Price? Taste? Fat/Sodium?

We haven't tried it. We have mostly mountain house, Augason farms & Saratoga Farms.
So your feeling is they don't have too much filler ?
This is the hard part in the decision cause so many folks read the ingredients different. Some say you need all that salt with a hard day's work,some say it's too much.
I'm just sticking to canned beans:(
:D

So your feeling is they don't have too much filler ?
This is the hard part in the decision cause so many folks read the ingredients different. Some say you need all that salt with a hard day's work,some say it's too much.
I'm just sticking to canned beans:(
:D

The ones we have don't have too much filler. We have thought on filler to supplement them actually, if need be, to stretch them out and/or add more variety. Rice, beans, veggies, potatoes, pasta etc etc.

Nothing wrong with canned beans! Check out B&M canned brown bread, if you haven't allready. It's an acquired taste, but we think New England dinner (brown bread, baked beans, hot dogs) is pretty good!

The brown bread is a slightly sweet molasses bread, the one with raisins is a touch sweeter (because of the raisins). Makes nice snack sandwiches, and goes well with some soups too. It's fully cooked, ready to eat, can be warmed/toasted/ or as is, you name it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top