JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I decided to get some freeze dried meals to leave in the truck so they're in there when I decide to leave town at any given time. I have a few canned thing in here but want to try the FD selection out. Been a few years.
The ones in town here are in the $9 range,8 something to 9 and change.
Is that an OK price or can they be found way cheaper?
And I suppose we could cover which meals suck bad too;)
Thanks
Mike

Fred Meyers is usually about a dollar less than other places. Bimart is reasonable. Best deals are to order them on Amazon.com

Depending on what meal you want, prices should be between 6 and 8 bucks.... I'm trying to recall anyways.

Favorite is Mt House.

Costco if you have one local also has the buckets of Mountain House on sale currently. If you want the best freeze dried meals available I am pretty sure Paleo Meals to Go holds that title still but you'll pay roughtly $13-14 a meal on amazon for them. Backpacker's pantry is a little better than mountain house but MH are the most solid middle of the road. I would generally avoid Wise foods as they tend to be extremely salty and generally not all that tasty.

What are these costco,binary and Freddy's you speak of?o_O
Yeah that's the beauty of Amazon in this town,only game goin' and still the cheapest.
I just have to figure out the numbers on there. They don't seem real straight on what's what but it was the fist time looking
Thanks for the responses,I'll probably get a variety pack to try out for the summer.;)
Mike:)

When I was trying these I used Amazon for ease of use. Since I was not going to be buying a lot of this stuff ease of getting it was most important. I shop Fred's all the time and had no idea they even sold this. For meals that just add water the Mountain House was the best to me I have seen. Tried a couple of them and with just some simple jazzing up they were on par with many low end restaurants to me. They were dead simple too. Just open pouch, poor in boiling water, let it sit and stir. Next time camping these will be my choice.

I won one of the 1-week supplies of emergency food from @LuckySG last month, and even at the $67 price range it's only $1.50ish per "meal." I like that they're in resealable bags for the purpose of storage, not just to heat up. Because each bag has 4-8 servings you just scoop out what you need to cook, and leave the rest sealed up. They taste fine, at least to someone who has had to live on MREs for a few weeks on end, and a week supply doesn't take up a lot of space. That being said Mountain House is great, but costs a lot more to get the same amount of nutrition, and a week supply takes up a lot more room in volume.

The cheapest generally is the Mountain House bucket, IIRC it cuts it down to about $5-6/ml. I noticed that walmart recently started carrying only the single-serving MH meals, which ... don't buy those, they're a waste as each is only ~300kcal, which just isn't enough food if you're actually out moving around. I even think the 6-700kcal meals are not enough without some other amendment during the day, however it's more than enough food to fill you up for a single sitting.

I don't recommend Wise, low kcal count (it's actually higher priced per kcal), and typically they use TVP instead of meat, I thought the food was ok though. If you want you can get a free sample: Free Survival Food Samples | Wise Food Storage

So I tried the "Request a sample" option from the wise website. I got an e-mail from a salesman looking to sell me months or years worth of food, asking me to call, or e-mail to confirm address, along with special deals if I bought now (even before the sample shipped). After e-mailing back, I just got an automated confirmation response, despite writing a detailed response in my e-mail.

They have also decided to spam me repeatedly with offers for 10% off. At the moment, they're kinda pissing me off.

I tried out a mt house Mexican rice and chicken and the breakfast scramble this weekend.
About how I remembered it from years ago,not bad but could use some heat,lol
Yeah I know,if you eat too much hot then you need more drinking water.
Anyway they both were good and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I just need to figure out where 2 cups is in my pan,lol

I tried out a mt house Mexican rice and chicken and the breakfast scramble this weekend.
About how I remembered it from years ago,not bad but could use some heat,lol
Yeah I know,if you eat too much hot then you need more drinking water.
Anyway they both were good and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I just need to figure out where 2 cups is in my pan,lol
I usually buy mine at Winco.

Couple things to keep in mind....

1) There's a pro version (all vacuumed up in a contorted shape).
These are for high altitude climbers....has to do with pressure differences up there.
Most do not need these.

2) Second thing is just when you think you found a killer deal...look again.
It's probably the small size (1.5 servings)
I always buy the large size (2.5 servings)

Favorites are :

Chili Mac
Beef Stroganoff
Lasagna

Mountain House, that is.
Not a fan of the others.

Winco sometimes has genuine MRE (military) components.
So far, do not like the ones I've tried.....really don't like.

Last Edited:
Figure out how to join a site called promotive.dot.com
Good, meaningful discount.
Turkey Tetrazinni (sp?) is a favorite for many.

Look at the low sodium ones. The regular ones have enough sodium to kill a donkey.

Fred's has Mt. House buy one get one half off again. This was about $6 each. Try the mac and cheese; my kids decided they like eating it dehydrated, which wasn't bad.

The buy one get one free sale they have each year (couple weeks ago) is the best time to stock up. My lady works for Freds and with the discount I get them at roughly $3+ a bag which is untouchable by anyone at any time that I have found. Over the last 3 years I've amassed enough of this stuff to survive a few months (I'll die from the salt intake though). Watch the bag sizes. Walmart sells a scaled down single meal size that is a rip-off. When hiking the 2.5-3 meal size bags are what you want when your hungry.

I eat Mountain House when climbing/hiking but it's too expensive (for me) to base much of my food prep on it. I do have one bucket I bought off Amazon in storage. Does sodium kill you or preserve you...?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top