JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"The gun isn't registered" or "is the gun registered" in a locale that doesn't have gun registration (which is most of the USA). Ditto with "do you have a license for that gun?".

One of two reasons for this:

1) Hollywood really is that stupid to believe that everywhere (including Wyoming - e.g., Longmire) has gun registration.

2) They believe everywhere should have registration so they are pushing this out there to get people thinking everywhere does have gun registration.

I suffered thru "The American" this week, on Netflix, staring George Clooney. I suspected correctly that it would be atrocious, and it was. The only redeeming quality which you can skip thru the film to see is some very generous female nudity... The gun stuff is so poorly done.

Clooney plays an assassin, who kills one guy sent to kill him. Clooney, armed with a PPK, and the assassin armed with some long gun. Clooney of course doesn't take the superior weapon from dead assassin #1, but then stalks assassin #2 and gets him with the same anemic PPK. Later, Clooney mail orders and receives a disassembled Mini 14 and painstakingly assembles it. In Italy, no less. No explanation on how he acquires a bunch of ammo or other key parts. He calls it an M14. Then he builds and threads a silencer from common parts in found in an auto garage.

Some other atrociously bad gun stuff. Test fires the gun something like 5 times and calls it good, which apparently was enough to test accuracy and reliability and dial in the scope. Late in the film, something really really dumb happens with the rifle. I'll leave the spoiler in case you want to torture yourself. Among the worst "serious" films using guns as a main device. "The Assassin" is truly remarkable at how bad it is.

Cop shows/movies where the detectives refer to 'the casings' at the scene. Casings? No such thing. They're called 'cases'.

Non-firearm related ---

The Bond villian syndrome. The main bad guy has Bond all tied-up, ready to be cut in half by a big saw-blade, or lowered into a pool of piranhas, or whatever...

"Before I kill you Mr. Bond, let me tell you all of the intricacies of my master plan, and then leave you alone with time to escape from your imminent demise"

It applies to many movies in the same sense as... Got a bead on the enemy? Take 'em out. Talk is cheap.

Mostly have learned to laugh off the often beyond stupid gun stuff.
Only one that still seems to bother me, people who get the "bad one down" then rather than make sure they stay down, run. Of course the bad one soon is after them again. I know it has to be to make the movie, just irks me. Often it's women, get the guy somehow, then run. Of course guy is soon on them again. I always tell Wife, you get into something like this? If you put them down you DO NOT run. You make sure they are down for the count then you can run. Last one was last day off watching a NetFlix original I like. Woman talks kook into trusting her, she wacks him in the head with a fire extinguisher, then while bad guy is down she runs screaming. Soon of course he is on her again. All I can think is when he went down she should have beat his head several more times and of course take the gun he had. I guess that would not make much of a show though :)

When they put an opponent down and don't take their weapon, and then run.

When the good guy lets a bad guy go because good guys don't kill. Super hero movies are especially bad about this (except Deadpool) - how many innocent people die in super hero movies because Superman or Batman almost never kill the bad guy when they could have? What is it - job security?

The more than six shots out of a Colt 1873 - or any 'proper' 6 round only handgun.
In Open Range Costner fans his revolver 12 times.
Even DA revolvers seem to hold many more rounds!

Another - one continuing to pull the trigger of a empty DA semi auto pistol.

Cars screeching their tires going around a corner on a dirt road.

Oh yes! That one always gets me.

Seeing as this thread is eight months old, maybe this has been mentioned and I missed/forgot it. The good guy in a movies has to fight off a hoard of armed men. He's bloodied, he's out numbered. He's taking out armed bad guys right and left. Why won't he grab a couple of extra guns, and some ammo, from the bad guys guys taken out?

3. Someone fires the last shot in a semiauto pistol and the slide doesn't lock open even though the pistol is empty. Then they or someone else pulls the trigger and it goes "click", or even "click click click" as they keep pulling the trigger, like it's an empty double action revolver.

especially on a Glock

slide not locking back? happens sometimes. being able to pull a trigger that isn't cocked on a gun that isn't sa/da? not very likely. impossible on a Glock

Oh yes! That one always gets me.

Seeing as this thread is eight months old, maybe this has been mentioned and I missed/forgot it. The good guy in a movies has to fight off a hoard of armed men. He's bloodied, he's out numbered. He's taking out armed bad guys right and left. Why won't he grab a couple of extra guns, and some ammo, from the bad guys guys taken out?

Yup - I am like "grab his gun" or "get his ammo" or "he's got a shotgun and you got a little pocket pistol you schmuck!"

Not a real flaw but wanted to say, I hate it
when I hear the phrase "one shot, one kill" that shouldn't be said unless you just stopped a heartbeat. Totally ruins it's awesomeness when every fudd spouts it off.

The Bond villian syndrome. The main bad guy has Bond all tied-up, ready to be cut in half by a big saw-blade, or lowered into a pool of piranhas, or whatever...

"Before I kill you Mr. Bond, let me tell you all of the intricacies of my master plan, and then leave you alone with time to escape from your imminent demise"

It applies to many movies in the same sense as... Got a bead on the enemy? Take 'em out. Talk is cheap.

Oh I completely agree, and it's part of what ruins the Bond genre and it's sooo bad it was spoofed by the Austin Powers films which were far better than any Bond film.

Put a bullet in his head and ensure it's done. The intricate slow death while we don't observe and give you hours to escape is mind-numbingly stupid.

Not only do movies have blaring errors, but many of the books I read have embarrassing errors in fire arms terminology. That also stands true in most of the forums I read.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top