JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Respect. Most of us have not even seen 12 Cougars, I'm out in the woods a lot and those things are all trying to avoid me. This glimpses I've caught are them heading the other direction. Dogs? How are you able to get 12 kills?
@Siglvr -- @Tlock probably works for Fish and Wildlife or Animal Control, someone like that, and he's putting down treed nuisance cougars in Suburbia in response to calls from the public. That's my guess. Note he says "Defended no.....Killed yes." A subsonic .22 round from a silenced rifle would be the ideal way for killing treed cougars while minimizing the disturbance to the neighborhood. Even an unsuppressed subsonic .22round would be pretty quiet. I'm guessing rifle rather than pistol, because those cats can get way the he!! up tall trees, he would need to shoot it in the head, and sometimes/often the head might be partially obscured by branches.

Respect. Most of us have not even seen 12 Cougars, I'm out in the woods a lot and those things are all trying to avoid me. This glimpses I've caught are them heading the other direction. Dogs? How are you able to get 12 kills?
There is a guy in Sweethome that claims to have killed 19 in the last year if I remember correctly. I spoke to him about getting one for a friend that wants a full-body mount for the house he is building on the Alsea. He said he calls them and I think he also said he gets them coming back to recent kills. I believe he is licensed by the state to deal with problem animals. He said he couldn't get a carcass for me because the state wouldn't allow it. I no longer have his contact information but I found him here https://www.facebook.com/groups/588353521264085

I like to carry my 38 special stubby when out and about in the field. That is pretty much my front yard. I use it as my go to gun for everything. It sleeps by my bed, and stays with me most of the time. I load it with hard cast wad cutters, and they will do the job, if I do mine. I also have a few 9mms to switch to. Either are plenty medicine for a Lion or Black Bear for SD. If you want to pack the weight of a big bore revolver or pistol, that's fine. Just not really needed unless your in Griz. country.

Two words: Carl Akeley

1896, attacked by a cheetah and killed it with his bare hands. The cat had a hold of one hand and doing some serious damage to Mr. Akeley. Since he couldn't get his gun, Mr. Akeley shoved his hand further down the cat's mouth, into it's throat and choking it from the inside. He was also trampled by an elephant and survived. Known as the father of modern taxidermy. Definitely a different class of bad-a$$

View attachment 281661
That shore looks like a little Leopard to me.

I knew an old dude when I was a kid who had a leopard skin on his wall and scars that matched the claws. He was an old marine, and he killed that leopard with a knife, in India. He, also had the canine teeth scars on his arm where he shoved it down the cats throat. Conversations with him were fascinating. and he had the skin off the wall when he would tell the story, but the claw scars on his arm were huge.

@Siglvr -- @Tlock probably works for Fish and Wildlife or Animal Control, someone like that, and he's putting down treed nuisance cougars in Suburbia in response to calls from the public. That's my guess. Note he says "Defended no.....Killed yes." A subsonic .22 round from a silenced rifle would be the ideal way for killing treed cougars while minimizing the disturbance to the neighborhood. Even an unsuppressed subsonic .22round would be pretty quiet. I'm guessing rifle rather than pistol, because those cats can get way the he!! up tall trees, he would need to shoot it in the head, and sometimes/often the head might be partially obscured by branches.
You are 100% correct

I've never seen a cougar or bear in the wild (I have petted a hand raised cougar a friend had) - but I know they are around me because my neighbors have seen both and I have seen their scat on my property - within spitting distance of my house.

I was stalked by a cougar years ago. I could have shot it, but didn't have a cougar tag, so I chased it off. I don't mind admitting I was plenty scared at the time.

As far as what kind of gun to carry goes, I feel that larger is better. If you are just out for a walk in the woods and you don't want to carry your hunting rifle or shotgun, I would say that a 9MM would be minimum and 44 magnum would not be too much.
You really need to carry the gun you can shoot the best, and fastest. I target shoot quite a lot, and I can shoot my nines and get back on target much quicker than the big boys. My odds of stopping a charging Black Bear or Cougar are better with a 9mm or 38 special, than a 44 mag or bigger hand gun. Shot placement is #2 after Reliability. The revolver is #1 in reliability.

I prefer heavy subsonic rounds. 147 grains in 9, and 148 in 38 special. for up close and personal work. I like the wide me plate bullet better than a hollow-point for penetration with a good amount of tissue damage.

As liberal as oregon is, the oregon department of fish and wildlife has a no relocate policy. That's set by the state and I have no say in it. Bear relocation didn't work here, all it did was spread disease and make a bad bear someone else's problem. When a animal is removed its only after exhausting all non lethal methods.

I've never seen a cougar or bear in the wild (I have petted a hand raised cougar a friend had) - but I know they are around me because my neighbors have seen both and I have seen their scat on my property - within spitting distance of my house.
Man, I saw a juvenile puma in my backyard in Beaverton around 11 years ago. My female Olde English Bulldogge gave it a fright. (She was a fierce and powerful creature in her prime) I still have seen the tracks in the snow most years. I am surprised you haven't seen one. When I lived in Southern California, I saw them on the regular. (I was not in an area most would think of. I roamed thousands upon thousands of acres of private land hunting coyotes)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top