JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am surprised you haven't seen one.
I'm a couch potato :oops: , so unless they walk by my window at the right time...

I hiked the Kenai a little and spent time bumming around Fairbanks and Ketchikan and spent a couple of days around GNP. I never saw a bear of any kind in the wild either. Moose, deer, elk, coyotes, plenty of trash pandas, eagles, a lynx once - but no cougars or bears.

Like I said, neighbors have seen them close by, but I just never been in the right place at the right time.

Plus I am half deaf, so I don't realize just how much sound I am making when stomping around outside.

I knew an old dude when I was a kid who had a leopard skin on his wall and scars that matched the claws. He was an old marine, and he killed that leopard with a knife, in India. He, also had the canine teeth scars on his arm where he shoved it down the cats throat. Conversations with him were fascinating. and he had the skin off the wall when he would tell the story, but the claw scars on his arm were huge.
I had a full tiger cape, head + tail, for many years.. a bullet holed man-eater. My great aunt was a nun in India her whole life and gave it to me. I sold it to Atiyeh bros long ago.

Washington state very recently..

The kid got VERY lucky. He will have to take rabies vaccine but the new one not as bad as it used to be. Kid was damn lucky someone was able to scare the cat off too. The article as usual makes a big deal out of how rare this is. Yes thankfully it is rare. So is having someone break into your home while you are there. I prefer to be prepared for both rare cases.

44mag or 22wmr, it won't really matter because if a cougar wants to eat you it will be on you before you ever have a chances to draw your gun.

On the bright side cougar attacks are quite rare with something likes 3 deaths confirmed in the last 100 years.

I have been stalked by a cougar before and it is a creepy feeling. I finally had to quit hanging out at that bar.

Last Edited:
OMG!!!!
Not only in the mountains......

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
YES, with a great effort.....
I'm resisting the urge to post pictures of "Cougars" at the beach. ;)

Aloha, Mark
Yup mean like this:
1691020277443.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR