JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You forgot the Chantrelles
I forgot the wine, too. But fact is, I never carried alcoholic beverages when hiking, camping, hunting, etc.

If we were fixing the Sweet and Sour Bear Backstrap at home I'd serve it with Foris Flyover Red. Foris is a winery in S. Oregon that sells good wines for astonishingly good prices by online purchase. The 2016 Flyover Red is a dry table wine that costs $14/bottle. It goes with all red meats, pasta, and somewhat sweet ish dishes including barbecue and red meat in a sweet and sour sauce. Most red wines don't go with sweet dishes. Interestingly, this wine is the only Red I've discovered that I can drink without getting a headache. A recent discovery.

Neither do I - I try to find alternate methods of transport as opposed to 'carrying' it!
On a 3-day backpacking trip along the PCT from Chinook Pass to White Pass, my buddy solved that conundrum... :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Back in 'the day' we would sometimes head out for 7 day (or longer trips) and the first two days we ate 'fresh' food - steaks, veggies etc. and would start out with with maybe a sixer and a 'pint' each.

Well, we could share a sixer a night so that gave us two nights of beers and the 'pints' we rationed out as long as we could.

The good 'ol days ! Sometimes we supplemented our menu with some good, fresh trout!

BP.jpg

At least you've got a great story to go along with why....me, I was leaving Big 5 after looking at some shoes. That's it. That's the story. I took a step and felt intense pain in my left ankle.
This reminds me of the time I threw out my back...tying my shoes. :rolleyes:
I'm tellin' ya man, don't be me. It's too dangerous.

Already thinking of that. I'll fix dinner. We'll have Sweet and Sour Bear Backstrap Over Rice. The slab bacon is a staple I carried during cool weather camping. So is apricot jam. I always carried salt, pepper, various seasonings, olive oil, and fancy vinegar. Slab bacon keeps better because you cut off the exposed edge as you use it. I've never cooked or eaten bear meat. But have done this recipe with beef or lamb. Should work with bear. Other staples I carried for cool weather camping included cheese in big blocks, lentils, black eyed peas, and dry onion soup mix, but they aren't in this meal.

Start water boiling in a pot. Add a dollop of bacon grease to keep it from boiling over. Add rice. I like long grained organic brown rice from Lundberg farm. It takes 45 minutes to cook.. Take it off heat when simmering water is just above level of rice and let it finish cooking in the covered pot off the heat. This helps avoid burning rice with erratic heat from fire. If you start rice before putting up tent or shelter, it will be ready when you want it.

Bear backstrap cut in bite size pieces, season with pepper and a little powdered sage. Cut off a strip of slab bacon. Cut strip into chunks, fry, remove bacon chunks. Fry bear back strap in bacon grease. Remove when done. Now make sweet and sour sauce in frying pan. Add a little water to pan and deglaze. Now add apricot jam to grease/water. Add a fancy white vinegar such as white balsamic to taste to balance the sweet and sour flavors. If necessary add more water to get the right consistency. Add the bear back strap and bacon pieces back to the frying pan and mix with sauce.

Put a layer of rice on each plate. Cover with generous layer of bear with sweet and sour sauce.

(Lentils and black eyed peas also take 45 minutes to cook so can be cooked instead of or along with the Lundberg rice if you didn't happen to harvest fresh meat. Lentils and black eyed peas don't require soaking before cooking. The difference between Lundberg and even other organic rice is huge. Different varieties, grown to full maturity and dried naturally. You can buy it from First Alternative co-op in Corvallis from bulk bins or they will order it for you by the 50 pound bag. Probably available throughout the NW plus California wherever there is a good selection of organic grains. A batch of lentils or black eyed peas wirh rice with cheddar cheese added generously during end of cooking works nicely.)
Lundberg rice is also available at any Costco. I just picked up some short grain brown rice recently. Lundberg has good prices.

I forgot the wine, too. But fact is, I never carried alcoholic beverages when hiking, camping, hunting, etc.

If we were fixing the Sweet and Sour Bear Backstrap at home I'd serve it with Foris Flyover Red. Foris is a winery in S. Oregon that sells good wines for astonishingly good prices by online purchase. The 2016 Flyover Red is a dry table wine that costs $14/bottle. It goes with all red meats, pasta, and somewhat sweet ish dishes including barbecue and red meat in a sweet and sour sauce. Most red wines don't go with sweet dishes. Interestingly, this wine is the only Red I've discovered that I can drink without getting a headache. A recent discovery.
Check out Penfolds; Bin # 389.
Best food wine I ever had.

If the guns were equal in barrel length and it was 6 rounds of .41 mag vs 6 rounds of 44 mag, I'd say the two are sufficiently similar so that you can just carry either based upon which you enjoy carrying more. .41 mag is well known to over perform in self defense against bears or handgun hunting in the real world compared to theoretical predictions. A whole lot of very sophisticated old timers prefer .41 to .44 mag, claiming it can do anything the .44 mag can do with less recoil. I'm inclined to believe them.

However, the SW 58 is a 4", isn't it? And the GP 100, while a 6", is a 5-shot .44sp, not a .44 mag, isn't it?

For general woods for SD or handgun hunting deer or bears out to 40 yards I'd carry the GP 10O .44sp. I'd load it with the Grizzly Cast Performance 260 grain wide flat nose gas check hard cast that run at 950 fps. A review I saw of this ammo said it penetrated just over 8 inches of pine boards when shot from a 6" SW 29. The 260gr bullet at 950 fps calculates out to 521 ft. lbs. That's a .357 mg power level but with a much fatter heavier bullet. The medium sized GP 100 would be a comfortable size for me to carry. And I like under lugged barrels and their muzzle heavy balance.

If I wanted to hunt black bear or deer at distances beyond 40 yards at this point I'd be plum outta luck without a scoped handgun. Assuming younger eyes than my current editions or a scoped handgun, I'd prefer to have something in .41 mag or .44 mag to .44sp so there would be enough energy left to do the job after the bullet has traveled the distance. So my choice would be the SW 58. With a heavy hard cast flatnosed or Keith style bullet and a fast powder so as to get the most fps possible from the relatively short barrel. (I'm assuming you reload, as .41 mag guys usually do and must.)
Did I say GP100???? Thats an oops. The 44 is a 5.5" Redhawk Ruger. The 58 is indeed 4".
I do have GP100 357 one 4" and one 6". Also have the 41 in a SW 57

Did I say GP100???? Thats an oops. The 44 is a 5.5" Redhawk Ruger. The 58 is indeed 4".
I do have GP100 357 one 4" and one 6". Also have the 41 in a SW 57
In that case in a theoretical world where there is a Red hawk grip that fits my hand, I'd go for the Red hawk. But fact is, I owned a 7.5" Redhawk .44 once upon a time and was unable to find any grip that fit me. So given a choice between those two I'd choose the SW N frame .41. You can do the job with either. Assuming you like both I'd suggest going with whatever you find most comfortable to carry. The weight is only one factor in comfort.

In the 1990s one munched up a woman jogger on a trail near Hwy 49. According to rush, there was more money raised to relocate the cat than take care of the woman's orphaned kids.

Cougar attack odds are probably on par with active shooter/ ISIS attacks locally. Extremely rare but it's always good be prepared and aware.

Brutus Out
I have never heard of a wild animal that killed a human being relocated rather than killed. Bear, alligator, whatever. Is this real? Do you have some additional info that might help us find a link or solid info. What state was this? Closest town?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top