JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Professional guides and people that live near large predators still use a shotgun as a backup. Nothing compares up close and personal whether you use buck shot or slugs. Even my buddy that lives and guides on Kodiak hunts with a 338 Win Mag but when guiding hunters or out in the bush uses an 870 12 gauge for protection. Handguns are one step above a knife. Not the preferred weapon. We salvaged a large barge in Brown Bear country on the Alaska coast. It required a dedicated Bear Guard to protect the crew. He sat high up on the barge where he could see the workers with a 375 HH capeable of shooting 100 yards or more to protect the crew but the workers kept 12 gauge slug guns handy.
The thread is called "Mountain Lion Defensive Pistol", that's why I picked the Bisley as my preferred tool. I would agree that handguns are a step above a knife...but 30-40 yards is a giant step.

There was a special on Coywolves on Netflix. Apparently there is one species of wolf up around Ontario, Canada that can successfully breed a coyote. The resulting critters are not shy at all and are living in towns and parks down to NY. Interesting pest.

I saw a special on PBS about them. Meet the coywolves on Nature. Fascinating with great footage of them doing their thing in broad daylight with people all around that did not have any awareness they were there. The coywolves however knew exactly where they were. Brazen and unfettered animals.

For cougar, bear, moose, etc, my preferred set up is a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk Convertible in .45 colt with a cylinder of Buffalo Bore

While a model 36 +p has been my choice for a long time (with a speedloader), I like this concept. Is yours the 3.75" barrel? I need to practice single action a lot more to replace double action reflexes. My pick to upgrade would be a SP-101 .357 with 3-4" barrel.

I saw a special on PBS about them. Meet the coywolves on Nature. Fascinating with great footage of them doing their thing in broad daylight with people all around that did not have any awareness they were there. The coywolves however knew exactly where they were. Brazen and unfettered animals.

While a model 36 +p has been my choice for a long time (with a speedloader), I like this concept. Is yours the 3.75" barrel? I need to practice single action a lot more to replace double action reflexes. My pick to upgrade would be a SP-101 .357 with 3-4" barrel.
I have the 5.5" bbl. and it is deadly accurate....or maybe it's me:rolleyes:
Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® Convertible Single-Action Revolver Model 0472

No speedloaders though as it has a load gate versus the cylinder dropping down and only one round at a time can be loaded.

Last Edited:
Taco_leans g20 mantra

I must not fear recoil.

Recoil is the mind-killer.
Recoil is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my recoil.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the recoil has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.
Taco_lean on Hein-lean. ;)

That was the one. Saw it on Netflix tho. I don't intentionally watch PBS. :p:p:p;)

This is a old thread brought back up because of the two idots in NORTH BEND .
Don't go into the woods with no defense .
They said when law enforcement got there they found the couger on top of the man 20 yards off the main trail AT ITS DEN .
that is the main point here this cougers den.
WAS 20 YARDS OFF THE MAIN TRAIL

These people think just because it's a hiking trails or bike trail in the woods it's ok .
NO STUPID IT'S STILL THE WOODS AND YOU JUST PUT YOUR BIKE / HIKE TRAIL THROUGH A WILD ANIMALS HOME IT'S NOT SAFE .
Just because you BUTT BUDDY WENT THERE HIKING LAST WEEK END AND HAD NO PROBLEMS DON'T MEAN IT'S SAFE THIS WEEK END

120763001.jpg

Timely thread, unfortunate situation in Washington state. Whether a 2 or 4 legged threat, carrying a pocket pistol, my S&W J frame or Glock 26 with +P loads would be my choice.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top