JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The attack was an all out sneak attack! We were both standing on the bank facing the water and casting! Nether of us heard a thing until that cat launched and hit my bro in the back and bit him in the shoulder! Knocking him down, the cat then went after the left arm and kept switching between his arm and head ( this was when my brother emptied his M-9 striking the cat in the throat and chest and right shoulder)! Right as I got closer the cat got him on the left leg and started pulling and that's when I got a clear enough shot and fired! In all honestly, I was more likely to close on them and start butt stroking the cat, I didn't ever think I would get a shot, and I don't even remember if I even considered going to the pistol! I pulled the dead cat off my bro and started trauma care on him, he kept asking how bad he was, I answered when I triggered the EPRB and broke out my sat phone and called for an air evac! The Sheriffs office had two deputies fairly close by and they showed up with in 15 min, and the National Guard were there in less then 45 min and they flew him to Vancouver for treatment!

As a side note, my bro and I were home on leave when this happened, my bro had to do some splainin to his commanding officer when he got back, and he had quite a story and reputation after!:D

The attack was an all out sneak attack! We were both standing on the bank facing the water and casting! Nether of us heard a thing until that cat launched and hit my bro in the back and bit him in the shoulder! Knocking him down, the cat then went after the left arm and kept switching between his arm and head ( this was when my brother emptied his M-9 striking the cat in the throat and chest and right shoulder)! Right as I got closer the cat got him on the left leg and started pulling and that's when I got a clear enough shot and fired! In all honestly, I was more likely to close on them and start butt stroking the cat, I didn't ever think I would get a shot, and I don't even remember if I even considered going to the pistol! I pulled the dead cat off my bro and started trauma care on him, he kept asking how bad he was, I answered when I triggered the EPRB and broke out my sat phone and called for an air evac! The Sheriffs office had two deputies fairly close by and they showed up with in 15 min, and the National Guard were there in less then 45 min and they flew him to Vancouver for treatment!

As a side note, my bro and I were home on leave when this happened, my bro had to do some splainin to his commanding officer when he got back, and he had quite a story and reputation after!:D

Damn man. Your brother is lucky you were so prepared!

Also lucky you guys go fishing that heavily armed. I don't often carry a rifle when fishing!

LOL, it IS cougar country, heck the little town just down the mountain is called, COUGAR! That is a big hint!
That far out, its always a good idea to have a long gun of some kind, with all the crazy two legged critters doing God knows what plus the regular critters!

LOL, it IS cougar country, heck the little town just down the mountain is called, COUGAR! That is a big hint!
That far out, its always a good idea to have a long gun of some kind, with all the crazy two legged critters doing God knows what plus the regular critters!

I agree! Thats what this thing is for.

Imgur

Just don't seem to get far away from people up here as often as I did in CA believe it or not. More outdoorsman and less city dwellers up here.

I always carry a rifle, usually its a FN/FAL or a Bolt action .30/06, both with Irons!

file_zpsba31951e.jpg

Only town I know call Cougar is on the Rogue River.

Cougar Washington is on the north shore of Yale res, used to be a big time Aerial Logging outfit had operations right in the middle of town! Now it's almost a ghost town!:(

I miss those days. We sure took a hit here in LG. Very Ag/Timber base historically with an assist from the railroad and the university. Now the only thing left is the University and things they sure are a-changin.

We used to visit Cougar on summer weekends, it was a constant stream of folks heading to the boat ramps, girls in bikinis, jacked up trucks and blown drag boats! We always had to stop in at the local store for beer, ice, ammo, and stories with the owners! Man, those were some good times! It's sad to drive through today, the Air ops are long gone, the old general store torn down, and the biker bar is now the local every thing/only thing! We used to spend hours watching the sky cranes coming and going and drinking beer! :(:(:(

We used to visit Cougar on summer weekends, it was a constant stream of folks heading to the boat ramps, girls in bikinis, jacked up trucks and blown drag boats! We always had to stop in at the local store for beer, ice, ammo, and stories with the owners! Man, those were some good times! It's sad to drive through today, the Air ops are long gone, the old general store torn down, and the biker bar is now the local every thing/only thing! We used to spend hours watching the sky cranes coming and going and drinking beer! :(:(:(

Never even saw it, but your description gives me that achy nostalgia feeling!

Never even saw it, but your description gives me that achy nostalgia feeling!
Go to Woodland, Washington and head East from I-5. It is a good drive with views of Yale, Merwin and Swift reservoirs on your right with up close views of the south side of Mount St. Helens on your left. Go through Cougar all the way to the Ape Caves.

I haven't been up there for 25 years, but I might go this weekend-now that it has been brought up.

Go to Woodland, Washington and head East from I-5. It is a good drive with views of Yale, Merwin and Swift reservoirs on your right with up close views of the south side of Mount St. Helens on your left. Go through Cougar all the way to the Ape Caves.

I haven't been up there for 25 years, but I might go this weekend-now that it has been brought up.

I was up there last year about 10 miles past eagle falls. Beautiful area. Planning to go back for some backpacking and fishing once the upper Lewis opens up.

For cougar, bear, moose, etc, my preferred set up is a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk Convertible in .45 colt with a cylinder of Buffalo Bore
HEAVY .45 COLT +P OUTDOORSMAN - 325 gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N. (1,325 fps/M.E. 1,267 ft. lbs.)Big Medicine!

Professional guides and people that live near large predators still use a shotgun as a backup. Nothing compares up close and personal whether you use buck shot or slugs. Even my buddy that lives and guides on Kodiak hunts with a 338 Win Mag but when guiding hunters or out in the bush uses an 870 12 gauge for protection. Handguns are one step above a knife. Not the preferred weapon. We salvaged a large barge in Brown Bear country on the Alaska coast. It required a dedicated Bear Guard to protect the crew. He sat high up on the barge where he could see the workers with a 375 HH capeable of shooting 100 yards or more to protect the crew but the workers kept 12 gauge slug guns handy.

Gonna quote myself here.

I LIKE 12 GAUGE SLUGS

Really hard to beat the expansion of a soft slug on something like a cougar, or the penetration of a hardcast brenneke.

Hey! mine does that too, when my fat butt is driving. Back to the topic, When out and about in nature, I have my Glock 20 10mm, and fear No one or Nothing. :)

Taco_leans g20 mantra

I must not fear recoil.

Recoil is the mind-killer.
Recoil is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my recoil.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the recoil has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads