JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally im not aware of any firearms designed to be used with paws. Perhaps we should start a letter campaign to manufacturers
#catlivesmatter
The firearms designed for Cats are the Howda pistols designed to be carried while riding elaphants in tiger country. Usually short double barrel 12 gauges with pistol grips. They were made in both breech loaders and muzzle loaders frequently by British companies.

Serious input. Cats are similar in size to a human, but they are pure muscle, and are going to move very fast.

The biggest issue IMO is that they are coming at you on all 4s. Do To the angle, To hit vitals you havs to punch through a lot of bone and muscle that you wouldn't on a similar sized human.

A Tbox shot is probably nearly impossible. They will also be moving at an "angle" due to being low to the ground, as opposed to a human running at you.

For these reasons I would prefer high capacity, fast shooting, hard hitting and deep penetrating.

If it gets on top of you then I would prefer a 44 mag or 500 SW that will be just as much of a flash bang pressed into its belly as a gun, but I would prefer it not come to that.

That's not a Taco.
This is a Taco...
jeppafer%C3%B0-a%C3%B0-Dynk-2014-012.jpg

I thought they were ambush hunters, unlikely to be in the open. They usually drop on their prey from above or surprise them from behind. Likely you are going to be up close and in a bit of a hurry.

I thought they were ambush hunters, unlikely to be in the open. They usually drop on their prey from above or surprise them from behind. Likely you are going to be up close and in a bit of a hurry.

True. My answer was assuming you somehow were alerted to its presence. I have never been too worried cus I figured the last thing I will hear is a "whooosh" and then everything will go black. Lol

Maybe now my dog would here it coming.

So if you were limited to a .45acp or 9mm pistols, +p rated. Do you think this ammo would be a good choice ? 4.5-5" barrels . I've been looking for some SWCs to see how well they feed. I know my LCP doesn't like SWCs but thinking they might run fine in other pistols. What do you prefer ?

248742.jpg large_388_24L_Large.png

For large cats like this I would be comfortable with anything I carry for defense against the 2 legged critters. I got a huge kick out of the story out of Seattle of the 2 mountain bikers who got into it with one. Article kept saying they did everything right. Really? So why is one dead and the other in the hospital? What did they not have? A gun. Any gun. The cat attacked and was run off. So it came back. If during the first or second attack it was being shot those guys would have road out with a great story to tell. This reminds me a LOT of people who will not have a gun at home. Since they can call dial a prayer. When they find out the hard way that seldom works it's a little late. They who call dial a prayer and sit and wait to be a victim did it right too.

For large cats like this I would be comfortable with anything I carry for defense against the 2 legged critters. I got a huge kick out of the story out of Seattle of the 2 mountain bikers who got into it with one. Article kept saying they did everything right. Really? So why is one dead and the other in the hospital? What did they not have? A gun. Any gun. The cat attacked and was run off. So it came back. If during the first or second attack it was being shot those guys would have road out with a great story to tell. This reminds me a LOT of people who will not have a gun at home. Since they can call dial a prayer. When they find out the hard way that seldom works it's a little late. They who call dial a prayer and sit and wait to be a victim did it right too.

I don't want to be right if it means being dead. I like living.

Cougars are not that difficult to either run off or kill. The most prolific cougar killer was a government hunter in California that had killed thousands of them in his career, over dogs. He most often used a German 9mm Luger that he found easy to carry. Never felt the need for anything larger. Like in all self defense, if the cat is running away, there is no need to shoot him, but for a running close range shot there is nothing that compares to a 12 gauge with buckshot for efficiency.

And now I look Wierd at work with a chubby. Thanks.

I'm retired. But my wife is looking at me strangely because my tongue is sticking straight out. o_O

This reminds me a LOT of people who will not have a gun at home. Since they can call dial a prayer. When they find out the hard way that seldom works it's a little late. They who call dial a prayer and sit and wait to be a victim did it right too.

And that's why I have "improper storage".

The biggest issue IMO is that they are coming at you on all 4s. Do To the angle, To hit vitals you havs to punch through a lot of bone and muscle that you wouldn't on a similar sized human.

A Tbox shot is probably nearly impossible. They will also be moving at an "angle" due to being low to the ground, as opposed to a human running at you.

I practice a "dog drill" with my handguns, where I turn and draw on a low-set target, one-handed.

I've heard from a couple of people the big cats have very thin bones and can be killed with 9mm. I'm not a hunter, so take that for what you will. I still carry .357 Mag in the woods.

I think a flat nose lead bullet would still be a good choice. Because if there are mountain lions , bear could be present as well.

And to think about how many I've hiked the woods with an air rifle or .22lr . Also surprised my brother and I didn't get eaten as children. The creeks and woods, fields and canyons were some of our favorite places to play. We probably used a pocket knife and a sharp stick for protection before we got airguns. :eek:

I practice a "dog drill" with my handguns, where I turn and draw on a low-set target, one-handed.

I've heard from a couple of people the big cats have very thin bones and can be killed with 9mm. I'm not a hunter, so take that for what you will. I still carry .357 Mag in the woods.

That sounds like a good idea! I have also started latching Doggos leash onto me, in case I have to use both hands, but instinct is to pull him with me away from the threat, which will leave me with 1 hand as well.

Quite a few people here saying 9mm is sufficient, which is good to hear. I usually carry the g20 with copper penetrators. At 1500 FPS they will go through just about anything organic. They are very accurate and soft shooting for me.

https://underwoodammo.com/product/handgun-ammo/10mm-auto-140-grain-xtreme-penetrator/

That sounds like a good idea! I have also started latching Doggos leash onto me, in case I have to use both hands, but instinct is to pull him with me away from the threat, which will leave me with 1 hand as well.

Quite a few people here saying 9mm is sufficient, which is good to hear. I usually carry the g20 with copper penetrators. At 1500 FPS they will go through just about anything organic. They are very accurate and soft shooting for me.

10mm Auto 140 Grain Xtreme Penetrator
Ant at 5 feet will be just as effective as a 357 Mag.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top