JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like autoloaders more than revolvers. I would probably opt for a G20SF and load it with buffalo bore or something equally hot.

16 rounds of full power 10mm is nothing to sneeze at.

But I typically fear cats less than tweakers and psychos so a 9 or .45 works for me.

I have never been really concerned with Mt lions here in the west.

Ditto for me, and when I lived in Nevada, as a kid, my folks weren't worried about them. But now they aren't hunted, and a leading theory is that they've lost their fear of man! I don't know, I'm just an old retiree, but I believe that the big cats are more than smart enough figure out what is safe and what's not! We are also encroaching on their habitat everyday, with more people in the fringe areas, also everyday.

been stalked a few times in the wilder areas of the Southern California foothills. You hear the faintest footpad that moves when you do and feel eyes on you. I never saw more than flashes of fur and footprints. And while I was armed as a hunter, I knew if that thing wanted to attack, my odds were very slim.

I know one lives past the end of the cul de sac I live on. I saw it as a juvenile when my Bulldogge was young. She was ready to go to war. There is a reason I want a dog that reads as apex predator. I have seen its eyes twice, and footprints in the snow just about every winter in the intervening 6 years. I occasionally find scat in my yard.

Once I had an encounter with a very young juvenile. I was approximately 3 trees past the beginning of the woods when I was in high school. I did the dumbest possible thing and ran. Thankfully it followed but broke off about 3 feet past the clearing where about 60 people were very close. I had maybe 20 feet to cover and it had more and seemed more curious than hungry, looking back on it.

Mountain+lion_f6d376_4902296.jpg

I do my share of hiking and was just wondering.
Considering that a mountain lion around these parts might weigh up to 120lbs, what would you suggest for an occasional day hike?

The last one I saw, the other fella and I thought the tail must have weighed 120 lbs. It was an unsettlingly huge cat. Makes you reflect that maybe you aren't the top of the food chain after all. "Mountain Lion Defensive Pistols"? I don't advocate for anyone or anything not carrying but if those cats are gonna start carrying defensive pistols, I might have to start staying home.

^^ Apparently not. Please explain to me how my good friends son managed to intercept one with a bow at 6yds as it stalked him!!!

Many stories of man encountering cougars. Especially since they are no longer hunted with dogs and have become unafraid of us. Maybe the ones on campus where you live. :p

A good friend also shot one as it was about to spring on his young son out in the woods of E. Oregon.

Ever heard a cougar scream? Sounds like a woman dying horribly. Not something you would forget if you lived rurally.

On campus? I saw one less than a mile from campus in Corvallis once. Crossing the field behind the barns.
Where ever you have large deer populations you can get big cats

^^^ I don't even know what to say in response to this. I had to go back several pages to find out what my comment was for. The comment you quoted was in response to the idea that you will never see or hear a cougar sneaking up on you. That is just ignorant of the facts. Since the commenter was from Corvalis, I was taking a satirical shot at him. You know... middle age females hunting college age students... get it? Not sure what you are trying to say. Yes, I agree big cats are around.

I started out packing a 44 mag but soon got tired of the weight so about 15 years ago I started carrying a Tauris total titanium 41 mag. At 24 ounces m/t I forget it's even there.

I never had much interest in a revolver until I saw a demonstration of an attack and with the tendency to use all your force with both your free hand and the hand with a firearm to push the beast away the pistol's slide may not have the unencumbered movement it needs to follow up on the first shot where the revolver will happily continue to cycle even when pressed deep into the fur as you keep pulling the trigger showing your displeasure for the encounter. Revolvers to me are now the MMA style of gun fighting.

I purchased my first revolver the next day and don't play in the woods without one now, even if carrying a pistol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top