JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thompson Contender pistol chambered in 45-70. Shot it once. Never again.

I just sold the .45-70 barrel for my Contender carbine recently. I wasn't using it and needed the $$$ for other stuff, but it was fun to shoot. It was actually easier to shoot that little beast as a pistol than a carbine. If you knew what was coming the recoil was manageable. If you weren't expecting it, it was like a miniature version of this:

Yes, I got the clamp-on brake. No regrets whatsoever. Very much worth the money.

My .300 was painful to shoot. Every time I fired it I thought my shoulder was going to separate. I couldn't get through a 20-round box in one sitting.

With the brake and the heavier laminated-wood stock, I don't even lose sight of the target through the scope during recoil, even at full magnification (16x). I'd say that the recoil is now about the level of a 12-gauge shotgun.

It may look a bit funky, but I don't care! I can hit what I'm shooting at and I don't have to "Martin Riggs" my shoulder back into place after every shot!!! :D

Before and after:

I want one of those clamp-on brakes for my .308, which is pretty tame already but even tamer would be very nice! What brand/model is it??? (I have a stainless Ruger 77) I'm guessing one has to select one that fits the barrel dimension.

I want one of those clamp-on brakes for my .308, which is pretty tame already but even tamer would be very nice! What brand/model is it??? (I have a stainless Ruger 77) I'm guessing one has to select one that fits the barrel dimension.

He was referring to this: Witt Machine

I went ahead and ordered one last night on the reasoning that a rifle in the safe I won't shoot is worthless and I might as well give it a go.

Yes, Witt Machine. You measure the barrel of the rifle in two places and enter that on the order form. Fit for my Tikka was perfect! Follow the installation instructions using blue Loctite (barrel and threads) and torque to specs.

Like any brake, though, it is LOUD! o_O

I had a friend that had a .30-06 semi auto rifle. No pad, just a metal butt plate. For some reason that thing kicked the snot out of me. And I've fired full load .45-70 many times.

I just sold the .45-70 barrel for my Contender carbine recently. I wasn't using it and needed the $$$ for other stuff, but it was fun to shoot. It was actually easier to shoot that little beast as a pistol than a carbine. If you knew what was coming the recoil was manageable. If you weren't expecting it, it was like a miniature version of this:

That video. Lol.

"Here. Try this, biggest recoil rifle you'll ever fire."
"So... I should lean backwards a bit then when I fire it?"

"Lol... Yeah. That."

I had a friend that had a .30-06 semi auto rifle. No pad, just a metal butt plate. For some reason that thing kicked the snot out of me. And I've fired full load .45-70 many times.

Strange, one of my hunting buds has a Rem 7400 in 30-06 that he loves. Taken many elk with it and passed it down to grandson.

I never shot it so, IDK. I had just assumed that it would be soft(er) shooting.

Ya think it was personal?
Did you say anything derogatory about it before pulling the trigger?:s0140:

He was referring to this: Witt Machine

I went ahead and ordered one last night on the reasoning that a rifle in the safe I won't shoot is worthless and I might as well give it a go.

Awesome! :s0090:

Well worth the small price they're asking, AFAIC. I hope it works as well for you as mine did for me.

I know the weight of the replacement stock I used absorbs a good deal of recoil, too. Plastic stocks are great for carrying but don't make much sense on some of the larger calibers.

Titanium/Scandium .357 snubby.

Buddy was shooting 38's in it for a minute. He handed it to me with 357+p in it.
I was not happy. My thumb want numb......
Well we did it to every other person that showed up late for the shoot that day.
By the end we had over 15 victim's.

I inherited one and it didn't take long to send it down the road.

A buddies 500 S&W.. while cool and impressive, it was not fun for more than a cylinder of rounds.
Perhaps of a bear was charging me.. but for weekend plinking, not a fan.

Double Tap derringer. An accurate, cool, thin, well made firearm. But the thinness actually digs into the hand quite a bit. After half a box of 45.. oddly enough I could feel my hand getting sore. A grip sleeve helped widen the grip a bit.. but you're still left with that trigger and lack of ability to fire certain types of ammo. For a few shots, its great.. but boxes of ammo not too fun.

I was dead set on buying a Kel-Tec KSG. It was just such a ridiculous concept that I had to have it. A good friend of mine whos firearm opinions I value greatly tried to temper my enthusiasm saying "you should shoot it first". I was pretty dismissive of that advice, just waiting for the right deal to present itself. It just so happens that I had a chance to shoot one at one of the NW firearms cleanup events. Never have my opinion of something swung so hard than with that shotgun. Pump action felt crusty and was very difficult to feel where the top and bottom of the strokes where. Wasn't sure if it was the ergonomics or the polymer but it felt cheap and uncomfortable. Multiple instances of double feeding which I will chalk that one up to user error short stroking it but part of the blame can be placed on the crappy action. Clearing those malfunctions also took several minutes because of the single port for feeding and ejection. Lastly and this wasn't a surprise; it kicked like a mule. I am not someone afraid of kick but I was cursing this gun long before I finished all 15 rounds. I just don't see a role for this gun outside of safe queen; too much kick for a range toy, too unreliable for HD, and not appropriate for birds/clays.

Last Edited:
I wish I had kept my Taurus Total Titanium 2.5" 5-shot snubby in .41 Magnum. I loved that thing! The ONLY reason I sold it was I was unhappy with the quality of manufacture. The action felt gritty like it had sand in it and no type or amount of lube would make any difference. Functioned perfectly, just not smooth. If it had been S&W quality I would have made it my EDC.

The recoil on it was substantial, but the design of the barrel porting or the grips or something made it recoil straight back instead of up and back. Firing one-handed wasn't an issue and two-handed follow-up shots were almost as fast as shooting my 1911!

You definitely felt the palm slap, but I hated it much less than the S&W 442 I had and also sold.

I wouldn't mind having the Taurus back.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads