JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Worst had to be a 2inch 5 shot .357. Had wood grips and it was painful to shoot to the ears and the hand. The guy later put some rubber grips which helped some but the damn blast out of it. I could not imagine what it would be like without protection for the ears. Close second had to be the original AMT Back Up in .380. Neat little pistol design for the day. Problem was the trigger. Never checked mine (had 2) but they had to break at like 20 pounds :mad:
Everyone who every tried it would at first be just sure the damn safety was still on. :(
Was that a Ruger SP101? With the stock grips the back of the trigger guard would smack your middle finger. Put a Hogue grip on it and suddenly it's totally comfortable to shoot and actually looks kinda pretty.

I cant say that I liked shooting my HK P7 all that much. Heavy, dug into my trigger finger and got unpleasant to shoot after 30 rounds or so from the heat. Kind of soured me on the whole brand. Just glad I made money on it.

Later versions came with a plastic heat shield in the top of the trigger guard to help with the heat. In addition, the pistol was not designed as a range toy, where so done might shoot several magazines within a couple of minutes.

The concept was to have a very accurate, reliable, safe to carry duty pistol (4.25" barrel if I remember right in a compact sized package due to its design) that was made ready to fire simply by drawing it ( in contrast to the trigger safeties of many modern firearms, if the pistol cocking lever was not engaged, the trigger was inoperable in case anything snagged it. The pressure to cock the striker was a less than needed for a proper shooting grip). I have one, and have used it in classes. It did get hot, but not to the point where it could not be used. As a carry pistol, I CC'd it for over 20 years, no complaints. I will say, though, you need a really well designed holster for it, as the balance on the hip can take a bit getting used to.

Accurate, safe to carry, and fast to present...of course also expensive, discontinued and heavy by today's standards of little plastic guns.

Was that a Ruger SP101? With the stock grips the back of the trigger guard would smack your middle finger. Put a Hogue grip on it and suddenly it's totally comfortable to shoot and actually looks kinda pretty.

No I had one of those for a rather short time. Had the 3 inch tube and enough weight that it was not "as bad". The original grips did SUCK on it. I put some of Pachmyr's and it was of course better. The first one IIRC S&W. It was a nice looking gun but skinny wood grips. Later some of them were making a "light" version of these cannons. I did not even bother to try one as I knew no way in hell would I be able to learn to shoot them without flinching. The damn ball of fire they put out also made me wonder how much they really gave you over using .38's.
Wife for a long time had a couple 5 shooters in .38 and we used to use the old Nyclad rounds in them. They were supposed to be made for these and they were quite easy to shoot even with the light versions of these guns. Probably gave up a little in power but to me they were worth it since most who tried them could shoot and not soon start flinching. After all what good is a cannon if you miss everything you shoot at with them :cool:

I can't wait to take it to the range. Will try to get there at noon on a Saturday. :s0087:
I took a shooting qualification right next to a guy with a brake on just an ordinary 16" AR. Just about scrambled my brains. If it had been a regular shoot I'd have moved or waited or something. I seriously would have been happier next to a 300WM with no brake.

I took a shooting qualification right next to a guy with a brake on just an ordinary 16" AR. Just about scrambled my brains. If it had been a regular shoot I'd have moved or waited or something. I seriously would have been happier next to a 300WM with no brake.

Been there got the Tshirt -- some massive explosion sounding thing goes off a few spaces down the range, turn to look and some piddly .223 case hits the ground.

Been there got the Tshirt -- some massive explosion sounding thing goes off a few spaces down the range, turn to look and some piddly .223 case hits the ground.
I remember it was such a sharp, aggressive report. I could feel it in my nasal passages. Fortunately I had doubled my earpro or I probably would have had to do something about it.

The first time I saw an AR pistol in .223 used it was like that. Indoor, guy next to me is blasting. I thought he had 454 or something, the damn concision of the blast. Then I saw the .223 brass hinting the floor so I had to look around the wall to see what the hell was going on. I had no idea till then that shortening the tube did that to that round. Then I remembered those Rugers that used .30 carbine. First time I saw one of those we were all amazed at the blast from those shooting outside!

The first time I saw an AR pistol in .223 used it was like that. Indoor, guy next to me is blasting. I thought he had 454 or something, the damn concision of the blast. Then I saw the .223 brass hinting the floor so I had to look around the wall to see what the hell was going on. I had no idea till then that shortening the tube did that to that round. Then I remembered those Rugers that used .30 carbine. First time I saw one of those we were all amazed at the blast from those shooting outside!
LOL, I have a 7.5 inch .223 that makes a fireball bigger than your head. It's noticeably louder than a 10 inch. Putting a low concussion break on them is essential. It redirects more of the blast forward and makes it much more pleasant for everyone on the line. :)

Later versions came with a plastic heat shield in the top of the trigger guard to help with the heat. In addition, the pistol was not designed as a range toy, where so done might shoot several magazines within a couple of minutes.

The concept was to have a very accurate, reliable, safe to carry duty pistol (4.25" barrel if I remember right in a compact sized package due to its design) that was made ready to fire simply by drawing it ( in contrast to the trigger safeties of many modern firearms, if the pistol cocking lever was not engaged, the trigger was inoperable in case anything snagged it. The pressure to cock the striker was a less than needed for a proper shooting grip). I have one, and have used it in classes. It did get hot, but not to the point where it could not be used. As a carry pistol, I CC'd it for over 20 years, no complaints. I will say, though, you need a really well designed holster for it, as the balance on the hip can take a bit getting used to.

Accurate, safe to carry, and fast to present...of course also expensive, discontinued and heavy by today's standards of little plastic guns.

There have been claims made that the P7 is the finest CC handgun ever made. There is merit to that argument, but the competition has not stood idle over the ensuing years....i.e. the S&W Shield.

However, as a range gun, the P7 was a horrible option. The gas operating rod located directly above the trigger made them unbearable to shoot after a few magazines. The addition of the heat shield helped, but still did not alleviate the problem entirely.

Still, the design was unique and it certainly has a cult following.

-E-

Mosin nagant with a bur on the butt plate. I may have a scar from where that thing cut.

A ruger LCR in 38 special. I enjoy my 454 and my desert eagle, but that LCR is just plain awful. It hurts to fire
Ruger lc9, the original, that trigger... I quite like the lc9s pro

Polish p83 in double action. Its Motto: "Nagant revolver triggers are for the weak of finger." bonus points for sharp edges.

Never shot a 30-06 that was not painful. Shot in a 700 and SAKO Bavarian - aweful! Worse than my SAKO 300 weatherby for some reason.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5 in barrel and it leaves the palm sore, much worse in winter. But i need it. :rolleyes:

My AR-10 by SIG leaves my shoulder sore after two full mags but I still shoot it well.

I had match grade machine make me a 12 inch 50 Alaskan tc encore pistol barrel. No porting, and with a past shooting glove it absolutely whacked the crap out of me. The load was a starting load out of the rifle section in one of my manuals.5 shots and I would Be done. Made sure it was the last thing I shot that day

JMB forgives you .

Be at peace my son....

Yep, I know. It's practically heresy to say you hate the 1911 platform on a firearm forum, but I don't like them- at all! Every one I've ever held and fired felt like I was holding a brick. The ergonomics suck, and I don't give a damn how sweet people think the trigger is!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top