JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Eventually most encounter one; vicious recoil, poor ergonomics, badly thought out design, something gonzo for the sake of being so, etc. that results in a truly unpleasant shooting firearm.

Which was yours and why?

Glock 23. Couldn't hit a dang thing with it unless i had a full mag. The G21 & G22 were good for me though. Can't figure out why i shot the g23 so poorly.

Eventually most encounter one; vicious recoil, poor ergonomics, badly thought out design, something gonzo for the sake of being so, etc. that results in a truly unpleasant shooting firearm.

Which was yours and why?
Easy for me. But not because of bad design so much. Well... I have suggestions...
I had a hang fire with a Winchester 1886 45-70 once. Bad ammo I guess - but i was a tad bit quick to relax the stock from my shoulder. About 6" away it fired. Caught the top edge of that brass butt plate across my chin and knocked myself out. Cold. The big old heavy octagon barreled things.
:(

Grendel%20P-10.jpg

Light weight
Poor design

Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnum. The classic "cowboy" handle makes it look oh so good, but also makes it difficult to handle and control. A more modern handle like the GP100 or Super Redhawk and it would be ideal even if it didn't have that traditional look.

It also concentrated the recoil against the web of my thumb instead of distributing it, so every time I shot one of my bear loads it would cut me slightly and draw blood if I used the factory wood grips. It was still hard to part with later on.

Same as the Biggest POS I ever fired a TEC-9 effective range couldn't have been more then 10-15 feet. cause at 30ft and a full mag it wouldn't hit a thing.

Weatherby Mark V in .460 WBY.

It came in as a used firearm when I worked at Larry's in Oregon City. It had a box of ammo with it that was missing only one round. In hindsight, that single missing round should have been a huge red flag.

Another couple of employees and myself checked it out on a Sunday to "function test" it before putting it out for sale. We didn't want a dud going out the door. :D

Nate shot it first. One and done. Next guy same thing. Me being the manly type, I loaded all three rounds and fired them off. After the third round I had to sit down because the pain in my neck and shoulder was off the charts. I had to see a chiropractor the next day.

-E-

I owned Serial # 00089 of the first MAC10 open bolts in 45 ACP ever issued. The old man made fun of me because you couldn't hit squat with it. Paid $189 for it and then sold it two months later. It was the worst gun I ever owned, but if it's still in existence, I would give three times for what I sold it for. If I didn't like it the second time, I'd sell it for a profit, not a loss.

Rem 700 in 338 RUM and no brake. 250gr bullets at a touch over 3000fps. Truly killed at both ends. I started developing a flinch so down the road it went.

Not a POS by any means, but a Winchester Safari Model 70 in 458 Win Mag. Pretty light with an RMR on top. Felt like getting kicked by a mule. Couldn't believe it so took a second shot. That was enough. Also had some overly hot 3.5" Hevisteel shells back when I was duck hunting. Even with a limbsaver pad, the SBE was downright brutal. When I started out duck hunting I took a Beretta 686 Black Onyx out to the blind. With Winchester superX 3" steel, the comb would kick up and wallop me in the cheek and nose. I sold the gun after the second bloody nose.

Walther pk380. I don't think it finished a mag without jamming once. Didn't matter the mag or the ammo. Sold it to the first offer and didn't care what the number was. I don't go to the range to get frustrated. I realize this is an entirely different reason than most have stated for an unpleasant experience but the core statement holds

HK VP70Z. Got it for $200 brand new. Worst trigger of any gun ever made.
FYI that trigger is easily improved on the VP70Z also with inproved trigger pull it is easy to shoot with holes touching in the bullseye at 25 feet. Also if you think that was a bad trigger try a Detonics Pocket 9, worst Double Action pull on any firearm I've ever tried and I've tried many handguns.(including Russian Nagant 1895,buddy had one)

FYI that trigger is easily improved on the VP70Z also with inproved trigger pull it is easy to shoot with holes touching in the bullseye at 25 feet. Also if you think that was a bad trigger try a Detonics Pocket 9, worst Double Action pull on any firearm I've ever tried and I've tried many handguns.(including Russian Nagant 1895,buddy had one)

My P-64 Makarov wins the prize for worst to fire (double-action). You Literally could not fire double-action even with both forefingers, two handed... but once I replaced the spring with a Wolff spring. Now it is tolerable.:eek:

20200805_122912.jpg

I had some random plastic stocked .30-06 one time and it felt like someone punched me in the cheek every time I shot it.

I was out at the range one time and a dude was blasting off with his TC Encore in .45-70. We talked a bit and he asked if I wanted to shot it. I did. I had never shot a pistol like this. I sat down at the bench and squeezed a round off. The recoil drove my elbows down into the bench, and I swore it broke both my elbows. Learned a lot with that one shot.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews