JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First "real" rifle, a Winchester M70 in .270. Would smack me in the cheek so hard I'd bruise. Developed a bad flinch from that gun, took years to unlearn.
Had a Springfield Bolt Action 16 gauge that would bruise my shoulder. Still not as painful to shoot as the Winnie.

First "real" rifle, a Winchester M70 in .270. Would smack me in the cheek so hard I'd bruise. Developed a bad flinch from that gun, took years to unlearn.
Had a Springfield Bolt Action 16 gauge that would bruise my shoulder. Still not as painful to shoot as the Winnie.

I lnow what you mean with the 270. I had a Remington 700 in 7mm Mag and of course I would do max loads in 175gr. Used to knock the snot out of me.

SACO .375 Mag bolt gun. Belonged to a Lieutenant I met on the range one afternoon.
More of a push than a slam for recoil but, I had a headache the rest of the the day from
the muzzle blast.:eek:

The recoil drove my elbows down into the bench, and I swore it broke both my elbows.
I empathize with you!

I have no understanding of those who say they enjoy the 'big boom' of these incredibly large caliber handguns.

Interestingly most when most are put up for sale the round count is often reported to be, 'Only X amount of rounds fired' - which is typically 2 digits or much less.

Like I have said many times over the years - I like 'All Day Shooters' !

Eventually most encounter one; vicious recoil, poor ergonomics, badly thought out design, something gonzo for the sake of being so, etc. that results in a truly unpleasant shooting firearm.

Which was yours and why?
None of note here but I've not fired a large number of firearms compared to many here. The Serbian NPAP 7.62x39 bruised my cheek any time I trained with it.

Bet you'll be the reigning champ of this thread if you end up with the BFR 30/30 you desire.*

*no experience with the BFR except I saw one once in 45/70 at a ffl in Safford, AZ. Still not interested. 1601862036510.png

I've had/still have many big boomers.
2 1/2" 44 mag, Scad frame 329pd,
44 and 50ae Desert eagle, 30-378 weatherby, 7 lb .300 win mag,

the worst was a 14" barrel T/C contender 45/70 pistol, felt like hitting a post with an aluminum bat! Spun in your hands no matter how hard you gripped it

Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnum. The classic "cowboy" handle makes it look oh so good, but also makes it difficult to handle and control. A more modern handle like the GP100 or Super Redhawk and it would be ideal even if it didn't have that traditional look.

It also concentrated the recoil against the web of my thumb instead of distributing it, so every time I shot one of my bear loads it would cut me slightly and draw blood if I used the factory wood grips. It was still hard to part with later on.
I never tried my 7.5" Redhawk with the original wood grips. When I got it they were replaced with the Presentation Pachmayr grips. I never had a problem even with hot loads. I recently bought a set of Pachmary Decelerator grips and can't wait to try them.

I think that if you had tried different grips, you would have liked it better.

I cant say that I liked shooting my HK P7 all that much. Heavy, dug into my trigger finger and got unpleasant to shoot after 30 rounds or so from the heat. Kind of soured me on the whole brand. Just glad I made money on it.

My Tikka T3 Lite .300 WSM... before I put the Boyd's stock and Witt Machine muzzle brake on it.

Turned it from a Psychotic-Mule-with-a-Vendetta to a low-recoiling Target-Never-Leaves-the-Scope fun shooter. My aging shoulder appreciates the difference!

I never tried my 7.5" Redhawk with the original wood grips. When I got it they were replaced with the Presentation Pachmayr grips. I never had a problem even with hot loads. I recently bought a set of Pachmary Decelerator grips and can't wait to try them.

I think that if you had tried different grips, you would have liked it better.

I had Pachmeyer grips as well, and they fixed the cutting problem but they also made the pistol otherwise uncomfortable, just plain too fat to fit my hand properly.

My brothers Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 Govt and loaded with hot Hornady ammo. I can shot my Uberti 1885 Winchester all day in a match, which is usually around 55 rounds, with it's 12lb weight and Limbsaver pad.

But 3 rounds with his Marlin and it gave me a headache and a bruised shoulder. Even with a slip-on pad.

PuB9mMEYQ4C-adgVUY77rw.jpeg

My S&W 342PD Airlite in .38 Special. At 10.8 oz. it is the lightest J-frame S&W has ever made. With regular .38 Sp. loads it is a handful, but with .38 +Ps it is downright painful to shoot. It holds 5 rounds, but 2 is enough.

Mvc-018f.jpg

Last Edited:
My S&W 342PD Airlite in .38 Special. At 10.8 oz. it is the lightest J-frame S&W has ever made. With regular .38 Sp. loads it is a handful, but with .38 +Ps it is downright painful to shoot. It holds 5 rounds, but 2 is enough.

View attachment 758317

Ya I have a 342 also. [ Mine is a pre-lock.]
It comes in right at 12 oz.

Still even with +p ammo it pales in comparison to the 329.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top