JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Glock series of pistols and the Ruger 10 /22 Series of rifles.
"Over-hyped" might be a better term for my thoughts on these firearms, rather than overrated.

With that said..both are excellent firearms.
I think that they are over-hyped simply because...
They are among the first firearms that come to mind when when people mention guns...
( Maybe along with a AR15 type rifle as well )
They do indeed work well ...but to my eye , they also lack a lot in the looks department and just how they feel , to me is UGH at best.
And many other firearms do work as well , yet have more visual appeal.
( At least to me...but in the big scheme of things , that don't matter much )

And with that said...
I stated my thoughts here , not to bash Glocks , Ruger 10/22's or AR15 rifles or their owners...
As I said they work and work well.
I just find them over-hyped , for what they are and what they do...Which really doesn't matter , as most folks find my taste in firearms not to their liking.

If pressed for a overrated firearm..
I'd say any modern inline muzzleloader...
They don't shoot any better than an original or traditional style muzzleloader...yet according to salesmen , magazines , and the " wonderful " Toby Bridges...they are the best thing since sliced bread.
Andy

I'd rather be in a fight with a pistol that works (such as my Glock) as opposed to a "pretty" one that didn't......! Glad that has never happened.

Which was my point. .38/.357/9mm/.380 are all the same diameter within .002"...but similar diameter doesnt equate to similar performance, even among smokeless cartridges- let alone trying to compare a black powder to a smokeless.
And your point is what? Varying amounts of powder and barrel length, as well as bullet weight affect the results. Mostly, the targets end up like Francisco Franco...still dead.

And your point is what? Varying amounts of powder and barrel length, as well as bullet weight affect the results. Mostly, the targets end up like Francisco Franco...still dead.
...I mean maybe if it was a firearm that was designed to kill savages that a 38 or 357 wouldn't stop...

Gryghin asserted that .45 AARP was designed to out perform .38 and .357 mag in the jungles...except the .357 Mag wasn't designed until 1934 and put into use in 1935...almost 25 years after the 45AARP. So that assertion isn't correct and I assure you if you showed them .357 ballistic and terminal data they would have skipped the 45.
Someone else then corrected stated they're the same diameter..which is true. My response was that diameter similarity within .02" isn't the only metric to compare cartridge effectiveness or even similarity. This is especially true when comparing the .38 colt that the .45 replaced. Because you're not just comparing different bullet diameters and sectional density but black powder to smokeless. Yes, several cartridges share a similarly sized projectile but their ballistics vary greatly.

Last Edited:
I agree with Andy on what he said. It does not matter what you use as long as YOU are proficient with what YOU use and can use it safely, consistently and accurately.

With that said, my preferred pistol is a CZ52 in 7.62x25 Tokarev. No, it is not the best around nor will it ever be. But I can shoot mine well, it is reliable (new modern firing pin, rollers, springs and good Serbian JHP ammo) and I am very used to how it shoots.

And if I run out of ammo, it's a big hunk o' steel I can beat ya with too. lol

Well to be honest ...
I don't care what anyone likes in a firearm..as long as they are safe and proficient it its use.
To be fair... I like the 1911..have had long experience with it and even carried it in combat...not used , but I did carry it and didn't feel undergunned ...'course at that time and place , I also carried and used a M21...:D

If what you use works for you...then great...just don't be telling me that what works for me , is something that I need to change.
( Not that anyone here in this thread has said that...but I have been told this before. )
Andy

I thought it was a fun topic. What is in y'alls opinion the most overrated firearm ever, and why?

My answer... and it may be controversial but I'd go with the Stg-44. While the general idea of the assault rifle (select fire, intermediate cartridge) as it was applied was quite a game changer... the gun itself was actually pretty mediocre at best. The British and US military had mostly negative things to say about captured examples that were evaluated during WW2. In particular they knocked its weight and lack of durability. They were evidently so unimpressed, they would make pretty much no serious effort to adopt an assault rifle of their own, and would not for decades... by which point it was more in response to the success of the AK. I've also heard from modern day collectors that own them, that they are indeed fairly rickety and not very reliable. The Soviets did end up liking the idea of an assault rifle but (despite common misconceptions) didn't copy the Stg-44 itself but worked out a design which borrowed elements from other successful designs and taking almost nothing directly from the actual Stg-44. So beyond it being an early, successful assault rifle there's really no reason for it to enjoy the reputation that has.
You do realize the stg-44 is still being used in 3rd word countries today. Mostly in Africa. As a matter of fact the 8mm kurz ammo is still manufactured to supply them. not bad for a rickety old gun.

You do realize the stg-44 is still being used in 3rd word countries today. Mostly in Africa. As a matter of fact the 8mm kurz ammo is still manufactured to supply them. not bad for a rickety old gun.

And there are people in parts of the world that still drive Trabants which proves it's a pretty great car.

Most over rated??
Anything in 308. It is like the C+ student that cant get into the prom queens panties...and has to settle for the wrestling cheerleader

I think the StG-44 was far more influential than the M1 and as noted pretty badly made.

I don't think that makes it overrated though. It pointed the way forward with intermediate cartridges like the m1, but the selective fire and pistol grip transformed it. I know the m1 family had full auto versions but there weren't that many.

I think the G41/43 were overrated. Not as well engineered as the Garand. Like them but they weren't up to snuff.

I agree with Andy on what he said. It does not matter what you use as long as YOU are proficient with what YOU use and can use it safely, consistently and accurately.

With that said, my preferred pistol is a CZ52 in 7.62x25 Tokarev. No, it is not the best around nor will it ever be. But I can shoot mine well, it is reliable (new modern firing pin, rollers, springs and good Serbian JHP ammo) and I am very used to how it shoots.

And if I run out of ammo, it's a big hunk o' steel I can beat ya with too. lol
I'm pretty sure Andy will agree that what is important in a gunfight is not the rate of fire, or the ballistics (within reason). It is accuracy and tactics.

I'd rather be in a fight with a pistol that works (such as my Glock) as opposed to a "pretty" one that didn't......! Glad that has never happened.

Since you quoted me , just thought I'd point out where I said this :

I stated my thoughts here , not to bash Glocks , Ruger 10/22's or AR15 rifles or their owners...
As I said they work and work well.
I just find them over-hyped , for what they are and what they do...Which really doesn't matter , as most folks find my taste in firearms not to their liking.

To be clear...I don't like Glock pistols...One reason is because , I do find 'em ugly..
But I have never said that they do not work , or do not do the job , they were made for....SIGH
Andy

Most over rated??
Anything in 308. It is like the C+ student that cant get into the prom queens panties...and has to settle for the wrestling cheerleader
.308 is indeed overrated. But the classic battle rifles are underrated for the most part. Everyone wants an AR in .308, some want a M14/M1A, but fewer want the FAL or G3.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top