JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lately I'm thinking economic collapse, perhaps started by one of those computer viruses that's currently running rampant in other parts of the world...hmmm...healthcare shutdown? WTF?

Economic collapse caused by a regular old biological virus, overwhelmed healthcare, people staying home so as not to catch said virus etc. etc.

Economic collapse following a tragic natural disaster. flood...earthquake...fire...who knows?

Economic collapse caused by poor economic policy over 4 decades...

I read a book several years ago where many virologists said the next big pandemic could be influenza. Something like the Spanish flu outbreak around 1917.

I read a book several years ago where many virologists said the next big pandemic could be influenza. Something like the Spanish flu outbreak around 1917.

Yeah we've been really lucky so far, given ease of global travel.

Remember the Ebola scare? Now just imagine that virus, but with a long incubation & easier transmission...shudder...

Volcanoes typically provide some warning through seismic or deformation activity. Earthquakes are much harder to provide adequate warning to the public.
It is possible that a quake could either trigger an eruption... or being that Mt Rainier is not solid, but rather composed of a softish clay from its hydrothermal activity, and anual freezing and thawing of dozens of glaciers on the surface.. a major quake could cause liquefaction of a big portion of the mountain sending huge landslides that could travel all the way to the sound with no eruption necessary.
Warning or not, It's best to prep. Say you get a week or two, or even a month.. those days leading up are going to be chaotic. The prices and availability fuel, food, and other essentials will be affected. Millions of people will start looking for a bugout location all at once, and the aftermath will cause a huge economic toll as many would be homeless and without income.

Be rational. Start with the most probable scenarios. Opinions will vary on this.

My list (in descending order of most probable):
  • Personal event. Job loss, medical, other. This usually means having spare $$$.
  • Severe weather event or fire
  • Local or regional financial difficulties, and resulting impacts such as homelessness, crime, and more
  • Earthquake
  • National financial difficulties
  • War or EMP in the continental US
  • Something crazy such as a large asteroid.

Most likely is the best way to start. I've had the means to put a few bug out bags together for eons and finally put one together last night.

I wake-up to the sound of sirens at 6am this morning to see my two door away neighbors roof on fire.

Last time (decades ago) I traveled to LA, encountered an amazing sequence of what could nearly have been mistaken for movie special effects:

1) Just S of Yosemite Canyon stayed at motel overnight. Awoke 0dark30 with sirens, flashing red & blues, and heavy whup/whup/whup/whupping; turned out there was a SWAT raid right across the street for some crazed murderer on the loose;

2) Still a bit jagged from the morning excitement (and the day before at Yosemite some clown had managed to perish getting self washed over the lower falls on the hiking trail) moving into N LA proper, there was a moderate earthquake;

3) pulling into area of hotel, there was heavy distinct petroleum smell along with heavy black smoke column; learned one of the tank farms was burning;

4) assessing the scene from the small terrace bolted to the side of the building, there was incessant bleat-bleat-bleat-bleating of car alarm going unheeded. Along with this was the notable ultraheavy traffic congestion of nearby through street, with train stopped across the road. Learned from TV news a convertible full of high schoolers had been rear ended at that crossing and pushed into the path of oncoming train. They all died.

All this was in less than 36 hours. I didn't have my BOB ready then.
I still don't have official 'BOB' actually prepared.
One of my essential prep chores is accomplished: I never go near any such metro hub these days....not that is totally effective, yet there is a huge % of 'feeling better' for not being near those places......

Have multiple bags; have all the stuff, some in vehicle & some not.

Did manage to bring extra short case of 9mm home from range today though.

Last Edited:
Last time (decades ago) I traveled to LA, encountered an amazing sequence of what could nearly have been mistaken for movie special effects:

1) Just S of Yosemite Canyon stayed at motel overnight. Awoke 0dark30 with sirens, flashing red & blues, and heavy whup/whup/whup/whupping; turned out there was a SWAT raid right across the street for some crazed murderer on the loose;

2) Still a bit jagged from the morning excitement (and the day before at Yosemite some clown had managed to perish getting self washed over the lower falls on the hiking trail) moving into N LA proper, there was a moderate earthquake;

3) pulling into area of hotel, there was heavy distinct petroleum smell along with heavy black smoke column; learned one of the tank farms was burning;

4) assessing the scene from the small terrace bolted to the side of the building, there was incessant bleat-bleat-bleat-bleating of car alarm going unheeded. Along with this was the notable ultraheavy traffic congestion of nearby through street, with train stopped across the road. Learned from TV news a convertible full of high schoolers had been rear ended at that crossing and pushed into the path of oncoming train. They all died.

All this was in less than 36 hours. I didn't have my BOB ready then.
I still don't have official 'BOB' actually prepared.
One of my essential prep chores is accomplished: I never go near any such metro hub these days....not that is totally effective, yet there is a huge % of 'feeling better' for not being near those places......

Have multiple bags; have all the stuff, some in vehicle & some not.

Did manage to bring extra short case of 9mm home from range today though.
Imagine the anual toll that wretched place takes on humanity... violence aside, the mass spread of idiocracy. But I hear the weather is nice... be nicer if it was enjoyed from a boat on Arizona Bay though.

"Death by a thousand cuts: the feminization of men, open hostility towards maleness, and the gradual decay of our most cherished rites and institutions, until one day we are only a shadow of our former greatness."

Since this is already underway and observable as well speak, we may well not have to worry about the other 'natural geophysical events'.

I favor also the model of the dense rat/mouse population falling into the same social behavior decay as our species exhibits noted above. The solution there, is at some critical point production and nurturing of new generation becomes so compromised a crushing 'fall from Grace' occurs and population plummets by orders of magnitude.

Then follows 'the Dark Ages' where mere species survival is tenuous.
A slow lag phase and eventual favorable circumstances, whether bacteria/mouse/FreeRatStuffArmy and there it goes for another cycle.

Interesting allot of truth there.

It is possible that a quake could either trigger an eruption... or being that Mt Rainier is not solid, but rather composed of a softish clay from its hydrothermal activity, and anual freezing and thawing of dozens of glaciers on the surface.. a major quake could cause liquefaction of a big portion of the mountain sending huge landslides that could travel all the way to the sound with no eruption necessary.
Warning or not, It's best to prep. Say you get a week or two, or even a month.. those days leading up are going to be chaotic. The prices and availability fuel, food, and other essentials will be affected. Millions of people will start looking for a bugout location all at once, and the aftermath will cause a huge economic toll as many would be homeless and without income.
You're correct - Mt. Rainier is a composite stratovolcano and can be unstable due to weathering and hydrothermal alteration. It does not take volcanic activity to produce a large-scale lahar that reaches Puget Sound; an earthquake or even a massive atmospheric river (Pineapple Express) storm has the potential to generate a significant flow. That said, there is no evidence that Cascadia EQ events cause volcanic activity. Even with warning signs, I also agree - it's best to prepare NOW rather than wait until activity begins.

Not sure about the employees part. :s0002: I have friends that are government employees and they do more to support the 2A than a lot of people. Just because they work there doesn't mean they believe in everything they do.
How many states are close to being bankrupt and wanting to rape the taxpayers because of the employees pensions?

How many states are close to being bankrupt and wanting to rape the taxpayers because of the employees pensions?
And who pushed for bigger State pensions without thinking of how to fund it??? Unions right? Many of my friends are union members because their careers and positions pay better to union members but they do not believe in the union party lines, and one opted out of the PERS mess.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top