JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The home kit list is incomplete if you are forced to stay at home. Natural gas/water shut off tool, a hatchet or ax, a pry bar for rubble, survival knives, multiple knives for family members. Wear them in case of a disaster if you can. I have a few tarps, a couple of splints for broken bones, and a couple of tourniquets in my kit as well. And firearms are not on the list. Things will go down the tubes very quickly if you have to stay at your home and people that have no kits built for disaster will be hungry and all bets are off after that point...

Last Edited:
Things will go down the tubes very quickly if you have to stay at your home and people that have no kits built for disaster with be hungry and all bets are off after that point..
You're not wrong. I do believe though that having different plans would come in handy. Again, assuming this is not an NBC issue, the popular thing in many people's minds is go hide in the woods and many don't comprehend how challenging this is. If not NBC, disaster, or invasion, I can't think of why anyone would leave. If they do...this is where a wood stove plays a part. Those homes are fuel. My useless point is I'm gonna go where there is less people or stay where there is less people. Again, NBC and flooding are different. I don't think there's a predictable way to ensure survival. Just be stocked up, try to have several plans, and do your best.

People will always be leaches and useless. A disaster will only make it worse. However, on the flip side, people will be willing to do whatever it takes to eat. I can think of a lot of labor I can get out of people by providing food and security.

At my age not being near a bathroom is my biggest threat at any given time.
Other than that we always have food stocked, other essentials and emergency supplies.
I refuse to sit around worrying about what may happen. Life is way too short.
Common sense steps to be prepared and then move on.
I can roll out of bed tonight and break my neck.
Didn't see that coming...............:p
Oh well.

I would say gaining knowledge, and developing skills of self reliance is the most importaint prep, and with resources like YouTube and other websites... mostly free. As Pussified and entitled as americans have become in a world of the Kardashians, online shopping, and participation trophies... nobody takes the time to learn how to do even common repair tasks anymore. These people are going to be in for a shock if/when they have to do anything more than push a button and ask siri.

Last Edited:
upload_2017-5-11_14-41-48.png

POST CASCADIA

Last Edited:
I would say gaining knowledge, and developing skills of self reliance is the most importaint prep, and with resources like YouTube and other websites... mostly free. As Pussified and entitled as americans have become in a world of the Kardashians, online shopping, and participation trophies... nobody takes the time to learn how to do even common repair tasks anymore. These people are going to be in for a shock if/when they have to do anything more than push a button and ask siri.

You mean like the TV for commercial where the boys do not know how to change a tire? o_O I am not sure if was Geico or some other auto insurance company.

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
Now that it has been mentioned the Cascadia Quake was what my mom always talked(warned) about most. I mentioned before that my parents were in the "prepping" business when I was a kid... They had a small kitchen appliance(food processors, toasters, food savers etc.) store and branched out into other things like this as the opertunity presented itself. One of those things you get into so you can maybe make a few bucks, but mostly to accumulate what you want at wholesale prices. My mom was also a garage sale junkie and brought home anything she thought might be useful in grid down situation. I even did my HS senior project on Emergency Prepping.
Thanks a lot MOM :s0002:.

Last Edited:
Hmmmm, mostly likely threats eh?

Stay off the road.
Stay away from people.
Stay away from electrical.
Stay away from adult beverages.
Stay away from excesses of any kind.
Stay away from watching politics on television.
Don't go swimmin with bowlegged women.
Don't kiss with your eyes closed.
Don't play golf in a storm.
Don't listen to doctors.
Don't remarry ur ex.

I leave anything out?:D

Hmmmm, mostly likely threats eh?

Stay off the road.
Stay away from people.
Stay away from electrical.
Stay away from adult beverages.
Stay away from excesses of any kind.
Stay away from watching politics on television.
Don't go swimmin with bowlegged women.
Don't kiss with your eyes closed.
Don't play golf in a storm.
Don't listen to doctors.
Don't remarry ur ex.

I leave anything out?:D
Don't pee on a flat rock, or into the wind, or on an electric fence, or while swimming in a river that has those fish that swim up your dip stick hole.

Don't pee on a flat rock, or into the wind, or on an electric fence, or while swimming in a river that has those fish that swim up your dip stick hole.

If you are sea sick and need to vomit, do not vomit into the wind. Happened to several of my cousins when we went deep sea fishing in Honolulu.

It occurred to me that I should prioritize my budget and planning on whats most likely to happen. I recognize that there are local hazards that need consideration. However I was searching on google and couldn't find a link containing information about any study or government agency that assessed the chances or percentage of whats most likely to kill or disable a U.S. citizen inside the united states.

Does anybody have any informational sources or links I can use for some research?

Whats missing from your question is the context? Even in a survival scenario whats most likely to harm you is a medical condition, even a simple cut is a real concern without proper medical access to prevent infection. In general, there are plenty of studies on whats most likely to kill you, wikepedia is a good start, medial: Preventable causes of death - Wikipedia or crime: Violent crime - Wikipedia

In a survival scenario nothing changes except the odds go up...

So what exactly are we talking about here... most likely violent threat? In general, or in SHTF scenario? Terrorism? Foreign invasion? Criminal?

Be rational. Start with the most probable scenarios. Opinions will vary on this.

My list (in descending order of most probable):
  • Personal event. Job loss, medical, other. This usually means having spare $$$.
  • Severe weather event or fire
  • Local or regional financial difficulties, and resulting impacts such as homelessness, crime, and more
  • Earthquake
  • National financial difficulties
  • War or EMP in the continental US
  • Something crazy such as a large asteroid.
Very good list... I would add Mt Rainier eruption as well. The Lahars alone would cripple the northern I-5 corridor infrastructure, clog up Puget Sound, and the Ash cloud could make air travel impossible.. making it difficult to supply the entire state. Some say it could happen anytime. 8C13994E-1351-449E-8E0C-0EF345BE0846-4859-000008EBDA168F1A_tmp.jpg

Very good list... I would add Mt Rainier eruption as well. The Lahars alone would cripple the northern I-5 corridor infrastructure, clog up Puget Sound, and the Ash cloud could make air travel impossible.. making it difficult to supply the entire state. Some say it could happen anytime. View attachment 362570

I have earthquake insurance on my home but it does not cover a war and probably does not cover volcanic eruptions either.

Lately I'm thinking economic collapse, perhaps started by one of those computer viruses that's currently running rampant in other parts of the world...hmmm...healthcare shutdown? WTF?

Economic collapse caused by a regular old biological virus, overwhelmed healthcare, people staying home so as not to catch said virus etc. etc.

Economic collapse following a tragic natural disaster. flood...earthquake...fire...who knows?

Economic collapse caused by poor economic policy over 4 decades...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top