JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It occurred to me that I should prioritize my budget and planning on whats most likely to happen. I recognize that there are local hazards that need consideration. However I was searching on google and couldn't find a link containing information about any study or government agency that assessed the chances or percentage of whats most likely to kill or disable a U.S. citizen inside the united states.

Does anybody have any informational sources or links I can use for some research?

It occurred to me that I should prioritize my budget and planning on whats most likely to happen. I recognize that there are local hazards that need consideration. However I was searching on google and couldn't find a link containing information about any study or government agency that assessed the chances or percentage of whats most likely to kill or disable a U.S. citizen inside the united states.

Does anybody have any informational sources or links I can use for some research?

I mentioned to a now late friend, that I was considering buying property as a bugout location in the future and dreamed of living off the grid. A few weeks later I got a package in the mail from Prisonplanet.com(he was a huge Alex Jones nut) It had a couple books by a guy named Joel M. Slousen one titled The Secure Home and the other Strategic Relocation. and a DVD along the same lines as the books. Both books are great resources, Strategic Relocation has a break down of hazards country wide and state by state, as well as local legalities etc. to consider, and the secure home, ways to fortify your home and be self sufficient.
Good reliable info about what to prep for is hard to come by. There are just to many "mights" and "maybes". It is a very debated and often taboo subject because much is based on prophecy(Prayer is the most reliable resource in this case and not everybody buys into that) so the powers that be don't take it seriously enough to do studies etc. aside from crime, health, or transportation incidents which happen every few seconds... but we instinctively prep for these scenarios from birth by seeking knowledge and ability to defend and take care of ourselves. Besides the common, everyday hazards of human existence, It's best to have to have a plan and preps for every possible SHTF or natural disaster scenario. Considering local hazards is the best place to start. Most preps(Guns and ammo, Food, Water, Shelter, First Aid, Medicine, barter, and manually operated tools and appliances for e.g.) are universal beyond what you might need for local specifics. My parents used to host seminars and sold Emergency preparedness and food storage supplies, so I've been around it my whole life.
Look back at history keeping in mind that it repeats itself, and one can get a pretty good idea of what's to come.

Last Edited:
Most preparedness has significant overlap for various scenarios.

Health and spiritual wellbeing included.

Edit adding: whatever your not preparing for, it can't hurt to be knowledgeable of surviving...

First off I am not a Christian ... Nor religious at all.
But it seems to me that just tossing out a answer of "The Bible"...
Is akin to saying : "A Gun" as a answer.
Both have been used as a reason or excuse for good or ill actions.... And neither one word answer explains much.
Cryptic comments can easily be misunderstood or taken waaaaay out of context.

Not trying to start a fight or cause a fuss here ... Just trying to understand your reply.
Andy
The Bible.

Pretty tough to prep for a random terror attack, and the odds are, you'll never be in one. Sure, it could happen, but the odds say that it won't. I've read that numerous times, but can't remember where at the moment.

Seems to me, if you don't know where to start, prep for the more likely scenarios in our area - extreme weather events (which are rare here) and the big Cascadia Quake that they say will hit us eventually - sometime between right now and 150 years from now. You are more likely to need those preps for an event like that than say, N Koreans attacking or a bunch of terrorists shooting up your neighborhood.

Lots of info out there online regarding how to prepare for an event like the Cascadia Quake. In some scenarios, you may need more than 3-5 days of provisions, you may need weeks, potentially months, depending on your individual circumstances. The Red Cross and others have some good starting info on things just like that.

Be rational. Start with the most probable scenarios. Opinions will vary on this.

My list (in descending order of most probable):
  • Personal event. Job loss, medical, other. This usually means having spare $$$.
  • Severe weather event or fire
  • Local or regional financial difficulties, and resulting impacts such as homelessness, crime, and more
  • Earthquake
  • National financial difficulties
  • War or EMP in the continental US
  • Something crazy such as a large asteroid.

I have a very unique outlook. If I offend anyone I'm sorry. I'm a prepper and a gun owner, obviously. However, I don't trust many preppers to do what's right. What's right in a survival scenario? Not much. I look at my neighbor's as an example. I'm kind of the grumpy guy on the block. I don't really like anyone and in a survival scenario I don't need anyone. If I die; I die. However everyone around me knows if there's a problem in the neighborhood we look out for each other.

I have had preppers tell me they would take over others homes or compounds in a world is lawless type of scenario and every time I hear opinions like this I see how lost our culture really is. So I'm one man...with a lot of guns and ammo. The people in my neighborhood can pass a background check. (Rare for Lebanon). Anyway, it's about community and numbers. If it came down to it...I have no issues distributing my guns and ammo and food to police and neighbors who haven't lost there mind. Honestly this is why you should stock up on guns, ammo, food, tools, so that you can help rebuild. Assuming we're not dealing with a NBC type of attack.

Here's Oregon's public health webpage.
Get Prepared

Clearly aimed at city people and snowflakes, but they have some good points. It's sad that our society has become this anti gun. That they can't advocate for a family to have at least one method of self defense.

I've found the following link: Health, United States 2015 by the CDC. It's contains some of the information I was looking for, but seems rather limited. It looks like diet and exercise IS the most important thing you can do to prepare, looks like No_Regerts was right.

If they could add self-defense tools (weapons) to their checklist, they'd do our citizens a MUCH better job. I'm surprised they didn't at least add pepper spray or other non lethal weapons onto the list.

If they could add self-defense tools (weapons) to their checklist, they'd do our citizens a MUCH better job. I'm surprised they didn't at least add pepper spray or other non lethal weapons onto the list.
This is how politicians do our country a disservice. It should be commonly advocated "WHERE IS YOUR GUN"!?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top