JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Actually you can grow abundant and nutritious food with organic techniques. A little chicken poo, some rotted to black sawdust from an old mill site, some kelp and a bunch of fish carcasses will grow just about anything that grows around here and grow it well.

Don't forget rabbit pooh. Mother natures almost perfect fertilizer.

Wheeler, good to see posting again.

SF-

A interesting part to all of this, the pioneers and people on the frontier new what it would take to survive. One thing people can do, is to work towards self sufficiency as best as they can. Developing 1800 frontier skill set would be a big plus.

+1 on the rabbit manure being perfect. It doesn't need to age like other manures do....

Although that reminds me, it is time to clean out the chicken and turkey yards and give the garden a treat...

I raise my own poultry and sheep/goats. I don't do beef because I can't butcher them myself (physical limitations to that).... Meat doesn't come in pretty little styrofoam packages.

Actually you can grow abundant and nutritious food with organic techniques. A little chicken poo, some rotted to black sawdust from an old mill site, some kelp and a bunch of fish carcasses will grow just about anything that grows around here and grow it well.

Cutting firewood with a chainsaw produces quite a bit of sawdust

I forgot to mention the two salmon bearing streams just out back.. I have seen 60 lb-ers swim in them

A interesting part to all of this, the pioneers and people on the frontier new what it would take to survive. One thing people can do, is to work towards self sufficiency as best as they can. Developing 1800 frontier skill set would be a big plus.

My wife's Gma wrote a book about her experiences in the Dakotas in the later 1800s/early 1900 era.. on the cover is a picture of her as a young woman toting a wheelbarrow full of buffalo or cow patties.. they were fuel for the stove

The human species as a whole is quite resilient and adaptable, I have faith that the guy/gal raised in a city with no outdoors skills will manage to figure out how to kill, slaughter, and prepare the cow in order to feed there starving family, might have a little more trouble with the wheat.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

O.K. now this is one I just had to share, it could not be more true of a lot of prople

We were discussing food at the office the other day and a lady I workd mentioned she does eat beef, someone else asked her why, her comment was " well twenty years when I was working in ----------- I saw a little calf and thought about how cute it was and could never bring myself to eat beef again after that"

another person asked her do you eat chicken?
answer; Yeah but they are ugly,

what about fish?
answer: I have never seen one uncooked or not breaded in a bag.

what about lamb,
Answer; no they are just too cute

...so she probably doesn't eat dolphins or unicorns either :)

pshhhh....camping...i hate that word...97% of americans have no clue what it means to "camp" and thus have dissolved the true meaning of the word and replaced it with what should be called "tailgating" or "RVing"...

I am with you, I backpacked The Appalachian Trail end to end 10 years, just to give you an idea on how badly I wanted to speak up and say something, but I have learned when I do that I get that look like what do you know you smart A$$

yeah, i get it all the time, pretty much learned to keep my yap shut...i quit going to "campgrounds" and just hike in a few miles then head off the trail a ways

The human species as a whole is quite resilient and adaptable, I have faith that the guy/gal raised in a city with no outdoors skills will manage to figure out how to kill, slaughter, and prepare the cow in order to feed there starving family, might have a little more trouble with the wheat.

I can somewhat agree. It's easy to figure out "kill an animal for food." From there, it's pretty easy to figure out "I need to get the meat out of the skin." Where you can go wrong is getting the meat without puncturing intestines and contracting e.coli or other intestinal problems. Some will figure it out, but some will be killed off. What was minor food poisoning and a trip to the doctor before the SHTF is now a trip to a shallow grave.

I can somewhat agree. It's easy to figure out "kill an animal for food." From there, it's pretty easy to figure out "I need to get the meat out of the skin." Where you can go wrong is getting the meat without puncturing intestines and contracting e.coli or other intestinal problems. Some will figure it out, but some will be killed off. What was minor food poisoning and a trip to the doctor before the SHTF is now a trip to a shallow grave.

the hipster lefty from portland that "doesn't like guns" will have no skills or resources to catch let alone kill said animal...you give these people to much credit

A guy at work today said how he was coming to my place when SHTF...

I have been told that too. Seemed like they were trying to joke about it but the way they said it left no doubt they were serious. They didn't even know what my preparations were/are, but they understood enough to know that I did things with my spare change other than buy new toys. Betcha if they ever did show up they would have a car full of electronic gadgets and other useless toys (but no food or anything useful). Speaking of toys, I always laugh when I see "looting" pictures during SHTF times (like Katrina or Haiti or whatever); the shots where looters are lugging huge TVs they have stolen. Truly shows human stupidity at its peak. "The world is coming apart; lets grab a TV!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top