JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was talking to my production assistant yesterday about the economy of scale. Basically we do pretty good working out of my garage. On paper it looks like if we could get all the componates we need , rented a shop, bought more machines and hired more help we could make a lot more ammo and that equates to more money. But at what cost? How hard and how many more man hours would we have to work just to make the same money we are already making? At this point, I'd rather stay small, making a quality product at a fair price.

I was talking to my production assistant yesterday about the economy of scale. Basically we do pretty good working out of my garage. On paper it looks like if we could get all the componates we need , rented a shop, bought more machines and hired more help we could make a lot more ammo and that equates to more money. But at what cost? How hard and how many more man hours would we have to work just to make the same money we are already making? At this point, I'd rather stay small, making a quality product at a fair price.
Reminds me of the story of two guys who bought a pickup truck load of watermelons for $1.00/each. They put up a sign for watermelons at $1.00/each. They sold out in a half hour. They looked at each other and said, man, we need a bigger truck!

It seems that supply and demand mean different things to different folks.

Per one comment If a loaf of bread cost 20,000 dollars and there are 2 loaves on the shelve there is no shortage unless you're starving and have no money then in your mind there is a shortage as it is out of your grasp and you will starve.

Per another comment if you can not go to 5 of your favorite shops and see your favorite ammo and a common price then there is a shortage.

It also seems to depend on how much ammo you personally have on hand as to your mind set because I do not feel there is a shortage because I have 10,000 rounds of 9mm on my shelf so what's your problem.

The shop I currently work at right now has plenty of 9mm with no limits but its 18 bucks a box and not the 10 box a box it was 2 years ago is this considered a shortage or just high price.

To me a shortage means I can not get common ammo like 44 mag, 41 mag, 357 mag, 38sp and 30-30 in the pallets we ordered but a case or two at a time and not in the bullet weight or manufacture we wanted.

Federal has told us we will not get any more primers to sell through the end of this year as they have so many contracts to fill, they are not sure they will have enough to meet them, to me that is a shortage.

I have guns in many calibers/gauges to sell that I can not get ammo for like .410, 20 and 12 gauge in any types of quantity to meet sales of guns. The schools are having trouble getting trap ammo for matches and so are the gun clubs.

Steel shot for duck hunting is nonexistent even through our whole sale out lets, we normality get ammo from the manufacture but try to get it by any means we can.

It is getting better on some calibers as we have plenty of 5.56, 9mm and .308 but the rest is hit and miss. It seems that other stores get ammo when I can't and I get ammo when they can't to me this is a shortage.

With all the new folks moving into the area and becoming gun owners the demand is even greater than it was so it is not going away soon.

Now as far as manufactures building new factories here is my opinion. Right now, there is a great demand but if the midterms go conservative and then we get a pro gun president then the panic will end and manufactures will catch up with demand. Then they have to many folks and the layoffs will begin. Nobody wants to invest that much in equipment and folks to lay them all off in 2 years when demand drops.

Just my opinion.

Now as far as manufactures building new factories here is my opinion. Right now, there is a great demand but if the midterms go conservative and then we get a pro gun president then the panic will end and manufactures will catch up with demand. Then they have to many folks and the layoffs will begin. Nobody wants to invest that much in equipment and folks to lay them all off in 2 years when demand drops.

Just my opinion.
This right here is what many can't get their head around.☝️
Many see they can't get what they need and "think" its all a conspiracy. That those who make the item do not want to make more because they want to keep the price high. They just will not hear when told that is not how manufacturing works. Build a new plant and staff it "sounds" easy. Fact is there is a huge outlay of capitol to build. Then there is a lot of taxes paid on the whole new operation. Hire people to run it more taxes. When the pipe line fills the same people grabbing every box of the item now will ignore it. Plant has to shut down parts of the operation BUT, still pay for the loans to buy and build, and the taxes on the place. Lay off workers they have to pay for that too. It takes decades to for a new operation to pay for its self and start to be "profit? Memories are always very short. Not long ago places like Midway were offering to eat the Haz-Mat if you bought primers from them. No one wanted them. Now those same people are just sure someone could just build another plant they just do not want to. That is not how this works.

I was in Bi Mart in LaPine yesterday and the ammo shelf was 'moderately' stocked. Some holes but a fair amount nonetheless.

I did not notice the specific calibers or the prices but I suspect it was 'common' stuff. No lines at the counter either.

I was in Bi Mart in LaPine yesterday and the ammo shelf was 'moderately' stocked. Some holes but a fair amount nonetheless.

I did not notice the specific calibers or the prices but I suspect it was 'common' stuff. No lines at the counter either.
Yeah Orchards BiMart is the same way, Better stocked and ammo is staying on the shelves a lot longer.

Reportedly, how they buy ammo in Brazil:

View attachment 1178664
Only one manufacturer is allowed to make/sell ammo.
Prior to 2018 there was a limit of 50 rounds of ammo per person per year. After the gun referendum of 2018 that limit is now either 20,000 or 50,000 (cant remember off the top of my head). Also lager calibers such as 45 ACP and 357 Mag are now allowed to be sold to the general public. Because ammo is very expensive compared to the U.S and other western Country's they sell ammo in smaller amounts. Hence the weird looking blister packs of 10 rounds.

However if you have money, gun shops in all but the largest city can and will sell you 20/50/100 and even cases of ammo.

The blister packs are just there for the average Joe that doesn't have a lot of money.

Ammo should become more available as folks run out of money due to inflation. I expect the store shelves to fill back up because folks need food and gas more than ammo right now.

At 12% inflation Joe Average is going to change his consumer habits. As inflation gets worse then folks will be selling just to make ends meet.

Once the depression sets in....o_O

Depends where you live. Bimarts in urban areas sell out of 9mm quick.

Sportman's hasn't had a problem keeping their shelves stocked, but their prices are on the high end.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top