JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Didn't read the whole thread. But me dos centavos =

The Shield (I don't own one) has a manual safety version, and one that doesn't. Same with my Ruger SR9c. I looked at photos of the Shield 45 it disassembled, and while I can't seem to find the specifications, it DOES seem to be a striker fired pistol with the usual internal safety features, such as a firing pin safety, as well as the articulated trigger safety. These types of pistols are known to be very safe w/o a manual safety.... or the manufacturer wouldn't be offering them that way!

As to whether the safety is actually used, I can't think there would be a problem unless there was an AD/ND, in which case there will be trouble anyway if anybody gets hurt or the shot goes into another apt.

Due to bad arthritis in my thumbs, I can't operate ANY manual pistol safety for the last several years. I don't use mine on the SR9c that I carry EDC and I really don't need to do so. That said, I don't think I'll be gluing it "off".

I switched to striker fired pistols only because I can't operate a manual safety. I was shooting USPSA and IDPA at the time. Had my grip safety disabled on my Para P14 because the large 2011 double stack .45 grip and medium length fingers would cause my grip to move enough to reach the trigger comfortably that it would let up on the grip safety. But that firearm was STRICTLY for matches and I made the grip safety normal prior to giving it to my son-in-law.

My Toyota Highlander wouldn't run. No fuel getting to the engine. I replaced the fuel pump.... no joy. There was evidence that the dealer had tried to fix the same intermittent issue. I tried to track down the problem myself but the shop manual indicated there are many many many sensors that will cut off fuel. They go thru the main computer. So I jumpered power to the fuel relay so that it operates whenever the key is on... which defeats the crash sensor cutoff. Sigh. I'm gonna BURN!!! :eek:

Was on another forum that consists of mostly angry old men...

Had to ask which forum that was because most of the sites I am on mostly seems to consists of whiny "girly men" and I thought it might be a nice change of pace.

Anyway, is it "legal" to modify your handgun, and have the "courts" enforced it, or not, is the question. The correct question is yes, no, maybe, probably, probably not, and who knows. Every court is it's own little fiefdom for that judge and how he feels that day.

The real world and courts and law school are no-where near each other. The real world is where the rubber meets the road. You know, antifa(kers) burning down the town and no one does a thing to stop it. Then some kid goes to help (whether he does or not is not up for discussion, he at least tried), and three random felons get shot while trying to murder the kid and are never charged with ANYTHING. The felons walk and the kid is looking at life.

The corrupt judge, the great majority from what I've seen in real life (there ARE fair, honest, impartial judges out there, but they aren't like on TV, where every cop is concerned with justice, the lawyers are fair and impartial, and judges are concerned with the law and justice) are looking at feathering their nest (most states the judge gets a cut of the fine, or all the fine, in their retirement fund, go look it up), have a hard on for... pick a group: gun owners, freedom lovers, conservatives, Republicans, Whites, blacks, etc., etc., or wants to get national coverage by throwing the book at the kid who defended himself rather than be murdered. "Well the kid shouldn't have been there!", and the rioters should?!

In law "school" they teach that it doesn't matter how stupid, ignorant, off the wall it is, throw it out there and see if it sticks. If it doesn't (judge tells you no) or sticks (I'll allow it) isn't the point, it's to get "the jury of your peers" (the stupid who couldn't get out of jury duty, and picked by both sides to back their side, hopefully) to decide for their side and all is fair in corruption and politics. Going to court is ALWAYS a crap shoot, unless you have a corrupt judge in your pocket, and the other side hasn't paid him off, YET!

Last Edited:
Anyway, is it "legal" to modify your handgun, and have the "courts" enforced it, or not, is the question. The correct question is yes, no, maybe, probably, probably not, and who knows. Every court is it's own little fiefdom for that judge and how he feels that day.

LEGAL?
I'd go with.....it's YOUR PROPERTY to do with, as you please. I've never heard of a LAW against such.

But then.....
If it's the Govt's owned/issued firearms (or if it's your property but needs to be approved for usage)....I can see that regulations will likely be in place. So there is at least THAT.

BUT THEN.....
We got the people that will make modifications (even what some may consider to be unsafe mods) and if/when an AD/ND occurs and someone gets hurt? Yeah.....people go running to sue someone. Notice that usually they claim.....that it's the gun manufacturer's fault?

And then....
There are plenty of these guys. Just waiting to get a piece of the action.
jackie-chiles.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Another story about Glock safety.

Aloha, Mark
So got around to watching this video and in my truly humble opinion, he is likely the next to have a ND on video. His gun handling is cavalier. He says treating all guns as if they are loaded is what you tell kids. When he "clears" his actually loaded gun that he is playing with in a home he actually never truly looks or feels to make sure the chamber is empty. And then being a Glock, he pulls the trigger to take it apart. I may start using this as a don't model video in classes.

He makes many valid points including officer's level of gun handling skills. Complacency is a killer though. And appreciate the post.

My Steyr S9 has a safety that I can't operate, so I don't use it. Without the safety it works just like a Glock. They quit making them with the safety, so it wasn't such a great idea in the 1st place.
It also has a key operated safety to disable the gun. Unlike the Klintoon keys on S&W it doesn't apply itself under recoil. It also doesn't wave a flag that it's engaged, so you can pick it up without realizing that it's not operable. I use it if for some reason I can't take it with me when I leave my conveyance.

If the guy mentioned in the OP didn't like the safety he should have bought a gun without it, or simply decided to not engage it. Superglue is not something I consider a gunsmithing technique I'd typically use on a carry gun.

I suggest sending the info and thread link to Massad Ayoob. He could probably do a cool blog post or video about it. I'd like to see that as he is pretty darn knowledgeable about lawyer tactics relating to modified guns etc.

For the argument to matter in court it would have to have an impact on the facts of what you are being accused of. Something like you were holding them at gunpoint and accidentally set off your 3.5# trigger. What you say to the investigators and during the trial matter a lot also. But, given the firearms and use of force knowledge of the average juror, do you want to give a prosecutor any additional "ammo?"?

On another note, I've had the trigger bar in my Browning Hi-Power fail to trip the sear because the magazine disconnect safety got gummed up with dirt.

1) "... They go thru the main computer. So I jumpered power to the fuel relay so that it operates whenever the key is on... which defeats the crash sensor cutoff. Sigh. I'm gonna BURN!!!"
So, get a fire extinguisher. Voila!! Problem solved. :D

2) " What about magazine safeties?"
They suck.

People like this simply do not understand how the criminal justice system works and words fall on deaf ears. So I chose not to waste my time talking with them any longer. For others I'll explain that prosecuting attorneys use stupidity like this when they decide whether or not to file a case. They will use it to show intent, negligence, recklessness, even accidental discharge. Perhaps this is not the factual case, but it is much easier to prove to a jury. And for civil attorneys...information like this makes them salivate more than a hungry lion over a Thompson's gazelle.

Prosecutors can and will use anything they find posted on websites like this and social media to help make their case. You can imagine what your average jury member would think if they heard that little rant from Mr. Hates Safeties.

I'm somewhat surprised we haven't heard of a shooting yet using a pimped-out Glock. Some of them are just waiting to be court cases, especially the ones with the cute sayings imprinted on them.

Last Edited:
1) I can just imagine a DA displaying your Glock with "Smile wait for flash," the Punisher skull, etc. and a photo of what's left of the Orc's head as evidence of your desire to kill somebody.

2) Ref. #73 above -
4 1/2# is not a "hair trigger." Assuming that it doesn't drop the hammer when bumped that's pretty much ideal.
Except under unusual circumstances cocking a DA revolver in a DGU is not a good idea. With the pull going from SA to DA follow up shots will be slower and if you don't shoot you are stuck with having to lower the hammer safely @ max adrenaline.
LAPD had their revolvers modified to DA only to avoid legal issues with SA.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show
Granite Falls, WA
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads