JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I don't like safeties, I don't hate them, either. I prefer fewer widgets and doodads to more but I don't think I'd ever super glue anything in place. I sure hope the brand he used deals well with solvents, moisture, temp changes and shock loads or he may just end up putting it on safe unknowingly, then have no idea how to take it off safe because it's "super glued" on permanently, right? That off chance seems like a worse one than accidentally putting a fully functional one on safe but knowing full well how to deal with that in the moment so you don't.... You know..... Die from dumbarsery?

It went through the courts a long time ago "YOU CANNOT MAKE A DEADLY WEAPON MORE DEADLY" dead is dead. Get it?
If my experience as a juror is of any value, the preconceived ideas of individuals matters a TON to the effect that more than half the people who served on said jury with me decided a knife was involved because the prosecutor said so, despite there being no knife wounds, nor physical knife recovered from the crime scene. Oh and since I woman was involved, let's give the man multiple counts of domestic violence, even though the only injury at all was a scraped knee.... When the woman tripped over herself as said in sworn testimony.

That's my long way of saying I'm positive a gun, any gun, is seen by many juries as more deadly than a baseball bat

1) " David Butler, a Los Angeles Police Department ballistics expert, testified extensively about the gun, a Smith & Wesson .38–caliber revolver with a two-inch barrel. In summary, he testified that the gun had been altered crudely and that the trigger pull necessary to fire the gun had been drastically reduced. Also, both the locking mechanism of the hammer and the main spring tension screw of the gun had been altered so that the hammer could be released without putting much pressure on the trigger. In addition, the safety mechanism did not function properly."
" The investigators also found that the handgun had been illegally altered so that it featured a trigger that was more sensitive to being released."
Both of these quotes show the colossal ignorance of the clowns who write the copy.
Trigger pull reduction in DA mode doesn't reduce it to being a "hairpin trigger" and it's unlikely she cocked it first.
Trigger jobs aren't illegal.

2) "I noticed that too. I've seen it described as "a .38-caliber Smith and Wesson five-shot stainless steel revolver with a two-inch barrel." Never heard of anything matching that with a manual safety, so I would have to presume hammer drop like you mentioned."
Again, probably indicative of the level of comprehension of the subject by the author.

3) "If you can't manipulate the safety, you're using or owning the wrong gun."
Not necessarily. I can't manipulate the safety on my Steyr S9, so I just don't use it - which works just like a Glock.

4) "If you use your gun in self defense, your going to wind up in court and when the court asks you why you modified your gun, what is your answer to the court going to be?"
Increased functionality and accuracy - less chance of missing the target and hitting an innocent bystander.
Less shots fired.

Last Edited:
I can't answer for any legal cases.

Speaking only for myself and not saying that my preference here is "right"....

I find that it most cases , expect for those firearm's that have a automatic safety , like on some Side x Side shotguns...its fairly easy to "ignore" or just not use the mechanical safety of a firearm.

Super glue need not apply...:D
Andy
I concur. My carry gun does not have a safety and I like it that way. I largely do not use safeties. Rule 1 is in effect. (Treat every gun as if it is loaded or as my grandpa taught me, the gun is always loaded, even when it isn't.)

Interesting enough I just bought a P365 in the gun store I handled both the safety and non safety model. After realizing there is no trigger safety on the standard P365 I decided to order the manual safety conversion kit cost me like $100 most places have them on sale for like $70-80. Tomorrow my parts should come in the mail to convert to manual safety! To each is own. Manual safeties have their pros and cons but I've had guns like the XDS Mod 2 which has the trigger and back grip safety and I put a hogue grip on it which made it function more like a Glock meaning it was barely noticeable. Functioned all the same! If I'm going to carry with one in the chamber I feel more comfortable with a manual safety! But I also have plenty of Glocks in my carry rotation so Manual safety is not a requirement but I want some sort of dingus or something so if I get snagged the damn thing doesn't discharge.

modifying the safety on a firearm is like removing the seatbelts from your car or eating that chinese food you found in the back of your fridge from who knows when. nothing good will come of it.

I've seen an S&W AirLite .357 Magnum snub nose revolver that had the trigger lock safety keys internal part altered so that it would not interfere with the function of the trigger.
There is instances of it locking itself under heavy load recoil.

If the manufacturer makes a non-safety version, I do not see a problem with "removing" the safety. In fact there are plugs you can buy to cover the hole left after removing the safety on S&W M&P pistols. However, gluing the manual safety in the down ready to fire position could leave the person open to legal liability.

Imagine this, our intrepid concealed carrier looses his pistol in a crowd (more likely he leaves it in a public men's room). A liberal comes across it and decides to secure it safely until the police arrive. He/She/Them knows that Red = Dead so they try to flick the lever on to safe, but it is stuck. They get a strong grip and try to force the lever up and ooops pulled the trigger shooting themself in the foot. Or shooting another person.

Yeah, now Mr Too Lazy to remove a pin is ****ed!

1) "To be honest, I think the Cardinal Rules of gun safety, if adhered to, make the operation of any weapon 'safe'."
When JMB designed the 1911 he intended Cond.0 to be one option for ready carry, with the grip safety being adequate.

This was before the Legal Industry was empowered to sack the economy, of course.

2) "I've seen an S&W AirLite .357 Magnum snub nose revolver that had the trigger lock safety keys internal part altered so that it would not interfere with the function of the trigger"
Agree that Klintoon Locks suck.
Is there anybody who can actually shoot one of those with full power .357 ammo and get off any follow-up shots quick enough to do any good?

3) Back in the Dream Time I saw an article in a gun rag about whether a manual safety could buy you some reaction time if you are disarmed. IIRC, the conclusion was "yup."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top